syntec 5w 30 vs mobil1 5w 30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: tig1
For high performance engines, or engines with turbos that call for a 5-30 , then M1 5-30 would be a better choice than HM.

Look at the HTHS figures for M1 HM oils, there is no way regular M1 5W-30 is better for high performance or turbo engines. That is, unless you believe the lack of HTO-06 on the back of the HM oil bottle is an indication of inferior deposit control, I don't.

I am going to defend castrol here

GTX, syntec, edge, and GC all show excellent UOA's on The VQ motors.

big deal it does not meet a certian spec in another engine. in the VQ it works wonderfully.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
For high performance engines, or engines with turbos that call for a 5-30 , then M1 5-30 would be a better choice than HM.

Look at the HTHS figures for M1 HM oils, there is no way regular M1 5W-30 is better for high performance or turbo engines. That is, unless you believe the lack of HTO-06 on the back of the HM oil bottle is an indication of inferior deposit control, I don't.

As with all M1 oils they perform very well, and no doubt the HM version would do well in the engines you mentioned. But I trust Corvette, Honda, Caddilac, and Dodge Viper, and M1 R&D to know what's best for the application needed for any given engine using this weight of oil.

As with all M1 oils they perform very well, and no doubt the HM version would do well in the engines you mentioned. But I trust Corvette, Honda, Caddilac, and Dodge Viper, and M1 R&D to know what's best for the application needed for any given engine using this weight of oil.

You are also trusting GF-4 energy conserving oils to provide better protection than a high HTHS GF-3 oil with 100 extra ppm of zinc and phosphorus. Fuel economy is a major driving force behind GM's recommendations. The Dodge Viper recommends Mobil 1 0W-40.

Yes, but isn't M1 HM only SL rated? May not be appropriate for a recent vintage Infiniti..

Originally Posted By: Danh

Yes, but isn't M1 HM only SL rated? May not be appropriate for a recent vintage Infiniti..

Good point. There must be something to the Cat thing. The reason for SM rating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back