syntec 5w 30 vs mobil1 5w 30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: sangyup81
If you're gonna do Castrol then use EDGE. Otherwise go with M1

+1

Originally Posted By: SERonBLAST
I was using Syntec for years, until i bought an Audi. Then realized how weak it can be. I then tried Mobil 1 and got better results.

How did you determine Syntec's "strength"?

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
Mobil 1 Hi Miles 5w-30.

Thicker and better than regular M1 5w-30.

Come summer, try the Shell Rotella 10w-30.

+1

If you're going to use M1, use their HM or EP line.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: webfors
either would be good. I'd take Syntec or PP over M1's vanilla 5w30.

Does Syntec have the Honda HTO-6, or Corvette 4718 spec?

I believe it passed the Sequence IVA wear test consistently though! And we've seen lots of excellent UOAs from it.

I will highly recommend pretty much every other product in the M1 lineup, especially their 0w40 and HM oils. I hold grudges against corporations... that's just how I roll.

I was using Syntec for years, until i bought an Audi. Then realized how weak it can be. I then tried Mobil 1 and got better results. Now in my Currents vehicles i have upgraded to Amsoil. This is after many others (MOTUL, Redline, Royal purple) All pricey but far superior in engine performance.
The pricey ones are harder to find, Amsoil is at Canadian Tire and most other stores, So its a easy choice for me.

To answer your specific question. Mobil 1.
I would spend the extra 3 bucks a ltr and get Amsoil or Redline if you can find it. Our Nissans love it.

Can you elaborate on "How weak it can be" ?

Audi seems like a prime app for its 5W-40. Im intrigued because you seem the perfect owner to disseminate Syntec's performance. You are right, Edge doesnt come past 10W-30.

+1 to sangyup81 (in cars that dont need thicker than 10W-30) and Redline being great Oil.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
Mobil 1 Hi Miles 5w-30.

Thicker and better than regular M1 5w-30.

Come summer, try the Shell Rotella 10w-30.

The M1 HM oils are not better than M1 5-30, just differant.
For the engine that calls for a 5-30 oil, M1 5-30 is one of the best.(HTO-06 and 4718) The M1 HM is for engines that have been abused with dino(some small amounts of sludge, ring coking, seals leaking,etc.) HM can help with those problems. For high performance engines, or engines with turbos that call for a 5-30 , then M1 5-30 would be a better choice than HM.

I believe it passed the Sequence IVA wear test consistently though! And we've seen lots of excellent UOAs from it.

I will highly recommend pretty much every other product in the M1 lineup, especially their 0w40 and HM oils. I hold grudges against corporations... that's just how I roll.

The only problem with you holding grudges when it comes to corporations is that you can't escape them, there everwhere. Also saying M1 5-30 is inferior to the rest of the M1 line may mislead those who may need a 5-30 synthetic oil. To say M1 5-30 is a lesser oil doesn't square with those who use it(and there are millions that do)and have outstanding results with it. I personally know some using M1 5-30 with long OCIs(8-15K) that have well over 300K on their engines.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Zaedock
I was using Syntec for years, until i bought an Audi. Then realized how weak it can be. I then tried Mobil 1 and got better results.

As already been mentioned, Syntec does not have the Honda HTO-06 high temperature spec or the Corvette 4718 high temp spec. Syntec is a good oil, I'm sure, but just doesn't have the same specs as M1 5-30, or PP 5-30 does.

Last edited:

As already been mentioned, Syntec does not have the Honda HTO-06 high temperature spec or the Corvette 4718 high temp spec. Syntec is a good oil, I'm sure, but just doesn't have the same specs as M1 5-30, or PP 5-30 does.

That doesn't answer my question.

HTO-06 is a spec for ONE vehicle and there are many boutique oils that do not meet the 4718 spec.
Are they weak? Mobil 1 EP, is certainly not a weak oil, yet it also does not meet 4718.

The HTO-06 and 4718 spec are for low deposit, high heat engines. I didn't say Syntec, or other oils that can't meet these specs are weak. I just pointed out that M1 5-30 has specs that other oil doesn't. Some here have implied M1 5-30 is somehow an inferior oil to the rest of the M1 line. It's not inferior, just designed for a differant customer. As for M1 EP, Mobil tech told me EP would meet 4718 but they don't target that consumer for extended OCIs, so they don't certify EP for 4718.

That doesn't answer my question.

HTO-06 is a spec for ONE vehicle and there are many boutique oils that do not meet the 4718 spec.
Are they weak? Mobil 1 EP, is certainly not a weak oil, yet it also does not meet 4718.

I think the issue is that Syntec 5w30 is not a "boutique" oil. Sure, small oil companies may choose to skip specs, but a huge brand like BP? Doubtful.

The HTO-06 and 4718 spec are for low deposit, high heat engines. I didn't say Syntec, or other oils that can't meet these specs are weak. I just pointed out that M1 5-30 has specs that other oil doesn't. Some here have implied M1 5-30 is somehow an inferior oil to the rest of the M1 line. It's not inferior, just designed for a differant customer. As for M1 EP, Mobil tech told me EP would meet 4718 but they don't target that consumer for extended OCIs, so they don't certify EP for 4718.

I never said you did. But you did attempt to answer my question for SERonBLAST by mentioning two specs that Syntec doesn't meet and are irrelevant to the OP's vehicle.

I'm curious what method he used to determine how Syntec is "weak". UOA? Engine testing? That's all.

Originally Posted By: daman

I don't believe so no..BUT M1's vanilla does
whistle.gif

Actually it does not. It is recommended by M1 for application when HTO-6 is required but it does not claim to meet or exceed the spec.

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil1_5W-30.aspx

I like the M1 5w30 product/spec sheet. M1 just didn't generate any trust with me in their Q&A when asked pointed questions IMHO. M1 is a very expensive product here in Canada, so forgiveness wouldn't make a difference... it's simply overpriced compared to other oils. Even on sale you won't find it for less than $35/jug, while you can find PP 5w30 on sale for $20. Why would you choose M1 5w30 over PP 5w30... even at the same price?

But Tig is right, use it with confidence if you want to use M1. Most cars will run forever on any oil, with regular maintenance and reasonable OCIs. Oil choice is less relevant.

How about the German Castrol Syntec 0w-30 ? They are on sale this month at Advanced Auto with either a K&N or P1 filter for under $30.

Or does the G engine not play nice with the 0w-30?

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
How about the German Castrol Syntec 0w-30 ? They are on sale this month at Advanced Auto with either a K&N or P1 filter for under $30.

Or does the G engine not play nice with the 0w-30?

I always thought Nissan/Infinity engines would do well with a 12+ cSt 30 weight like GC

I think Syntec (besides GC & BC) as a line-up is a couple notches below M1, PP, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back