Synpower doesn't meet min spec for Chryslers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Non-high-performance Chryslers require an oil that:
1) an API certified oil and
2) also meets MS-6395 - regardless if conventional or syn

"Only use API Certified engine oils that meet the requirements of Chrysler's Material Standard MS-6395. MS-6395 contains requirements, not addressed by API Certification, that provide additional protection for Chrysler Group engines. All Chrysler Group gasoline engines, irrespective of model year, should be serviced with API Certified engine oils meeting MS-6395."

Valv conventional meets MS-6395, but I see no mention that Synpower meets this minimum hurdle. Valv apparently thought it was important enough to validate Synpower for use in a GM requiring conventional-level GM6094M (though Synpower doesn't have the performance for the tougher GM4718M spec for Cadillac/Corvette/SS/etc.)

Sort of explains why I'm not a huge fan of Synpower. In all likelihood it will meet the Chrysler spec, but it's another reason why to use Pennz Platinum or another syn that does meet the spec.

Oh now, come on OilGuy. You know it's 4X better than Mobil 1.
grin2.gif

Chrysler's own oil isn't API Star certified from what I've heard. If anyone can verify with a can please let me know.

Valvoline's conventional and Durablend both meet the MS-6395 spec. A quick visit to Mobil's website reveals that no mention is made of Mobil Clean 5000 or Mobil Clean 7500 meeting the MS-6395 spec. It looks like, if you want to use a Mobil product, that you have to pay for Mobil 1 if you want an oil that meets MS-6395.

Originally Posted By: 77GrandPrix
Valvoline's conventional and Durablend both meet the MS-6395 spec. A quick visit to Mobil's website reveals that no mention is made of Mobil Clean 5000 or Mobil Clean 7500 meeting the MS-6395 spec. It looks like, if you want to use a Mobil product, that you have to pay for Mobil 1 if you want an oil that meets MS-6395.
I got quart Mobil 7500 5w-30 Synthetic Blend on my desk here on the back of it clearly states meets Chrysler MS-6395.

Last edited:
Slightly OT but if you're reading this you may a closet Valvoliner. At Advanced this month both of the Valvoline dinos are on BOGO this month.

So could that mean that it simply has not been tested for the new specifications? [And maybe it is actually a superior product?]

Had to run to WalMart this morning so, took a stroll down the oil aisle and looked at the Mobil Clean 5000 5 quart jug. It does say that it meets MS-6395. So, I stand corrected.

Anybody know what is unique about MS-6395 above and beyond API? I've never seen an approval list either.

I should have paid closer attention. Not conclusive evidence by any means but, my Chrysler developed a nasty lifter tick during a run of 5W-20 Synpower. The BOGO clouded my judgement.

I for one am sick and tired of these manufacturer specific "approvals", some of which do not even included published requirements.

Also, who really cares what Chrysler thinks? It is by far the sickliest of the ailing Detroit based makers.

at WM last weekend. Only M1 and one other syn oil met that Chrysler spec... wanna say it was PP? Now I can't remember.

My new jeep has 1100 miles on it.

When cold, the injectors are LOUD. When hot, it has a single valve tap. Bother.

M

Chrysler only reviews data and issues formal approval for this specification if they purchase the product from the supplier for factory fill use or re-brand under the MOPAR name. Valvoline chooses not to participate in this line of business but maintains that our oil meets all the requirements for Chrysler engines.

Unless the car of interest is a unique Chrysler that has a special need, I'd doubt a Sebring, Caravan, Neon, RAM, Wrangler, or Cheroke has a special engine design that needs a different oil.

Most likely, some of their MBZ engines like Pacifica or Crossfire or the Viper may need a special engine oil that can handle the abuse, so they use that spec on all oil for all engines.

I'd doubt you can tell the difference between non-Synpower and Synpower synthetic for normal OCI. If you have a blind test you probably can't distinguish what is what (assume the same viscosity and oil life).

Now my curiosity is up. I'll check the manual tonight and see if it lists the Chrysler spec or just an SM 5-20 oil...

M

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back