SYLVANIA Ultra Vision : CR*P !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
had to remove both bulbs from '08 YARIS earlier when the better 1/2 noticed there were no low beams for left and right , only the high beams . Checked fuses and were fine . So , removed the drivers side U.V. bulb and put the original back in and fine . Then the same result for passengers side . The U.V. bulbs hadn't been in for more than 10 months and the car doesn't even have daytime running lights that could shorten the life of the bulb(s). Never buying these again . Longer life ! What a joke . Calling SYLVANIA to make a stink about it . Luckily got them at PEPBOYS when were on sale for $29.99 a pair .

Silverstars strike again. The US version, that is.

If you want a bulb that kicks the Silverstar's behind in light output, look at the Philips X-Treme Power.

Osram Silverstars are another good H4/9003 bulb.

Both ought to last longer than the US Silverstar.

120 hours for the standard h9 FTW!
wink.gif

Never been impressed with them. I'm running OMG SUPAR TIGHT JDM Koito WhiteBeam IIIs. MUCH better lifespan.

I need to get my hands on some German-made Philips or Osram 9004 bulbs though.

I am using Sylvania Xtra vision bulbs in my truck and they work very well. I tried the Silverstars and they burned out really fast, never buy them again.

Smokey 1, and others. The reason that many of the coated bulbs including the silverstars burn out early is due to the design. The blue coating causes a loss of lumens (light output) so Sylvana winds the filament coil tighter causing it to burn brighter, in turn reducing its lifespan. I called Sylvania years ago and spoke with a lighting engineer who told me that the silverstars do not emit more light. Even the packet that comes with them states that. If you look closely the packet included with the bulbs gives you a list of the different bulbs 9006, H4 etc and there's always a variance in output. The 9006 bulbs state 1000 lumens +- 15%.

Another reason to go with OEM bulbs and a relay harness. About the same price and you have the laws of physics on your side. More voltage heading through the bulb = more light out of the bulb. Can't market that one away.

Best money I spent on my current car was upgrading the headlights with a harness and 9005 bulbs in place of the 9006's.

I figure that sooner or later people wiould come to realize that the SilverStar is just a gimmick bulb with a blue tint....If you want a bright bulb without a gimmick get the Phillips X-treme vision....No fake blue tint just a bright white bulb....

X2 to that sentiment.

I posted about them a year ago, that went nowhere then. Nice to see more interest in a fantastic bulb.

Must be a bulb-specific thing. I've had SilverStar Ultras in our daily-driver since May of '07. They still work fine and this car gets driven at night a LOT.

Having said that, I wouldn't buy them again as I didn't see any improvement over the regular SilverStars that are in the other car.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Another reason to go with OEM bulbs and a relay harness. About the same price and you have the laws of physics on your side. More voltage heading through the bulb = more light out of the bulb. Can't market that one away.

Best money I spent on my current car was upgrading the headlights with a harness and 9005 bulbs in place of the 9006's.

Yes and operating them at a higher than designed voltage will decrease the life.

You get lumens, life and watts(power consumption). When the filament is designed you trade off. You can vary the mandrel diameter, TPI, wire diameter etc to optimize the characteristics you want. I can design a filament which will last practically forever, but the lumen output and efficincy will not be very good. If you want very bright lamps(within DOT regs) you will have a shorter lamp life period! There is nothing magic about halogen lamps, they have been around for years and I can tell you all the big 3( Sylvanis/Osram, Philips,GE) benchmark each others bulbs.

Yes, it's absolutely a trade. I know my bulbs will burn out sooner, and using an already-short-lived 9005 isn't the best choice for longevity. It is cheap and effective! Long life, cheap, lots of light. Like many of life's choices, pick two.

Some cars that can't use a harness without legality concerns over the DRL's can benefit from a good aftermarket bulb. My fiancee's Fit Sport has Philips X-Treme Power bulbs (which are untinted) she is very happy with, and knows they will burn out in about a year. The OEM bulbs are in a case secured in the back when one burns out. My Buick has a different DRL system, so putting in a harness for the low beams only wasn't affecting anything except my ability to see at night.

I still stand behind my statement to go with a plain-Jane clear-glass bulb and a relay harness when you can do so.

Last edited:
I tried the silverstars myself, I loved the pure white colour and it sure looked pretty reflecting off the snow in the winter :) but they only lasted ONE winter, and pretty or not, they didn't help me SEE any better than a $2.99 no name bulb. If they were that price I would keep buying them but at $20 plus a set and that short a life I will not repeat that experiment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back