Switching to Quaker State Ultimate Durability from M1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by tig1
M1 oils at 10K OCIs are probably cheaper in the long run.

I wasn't planning to run QS at a shorter interval, if that's what you are implying.

Originally Posted by NO2
Key reason not to is because you have to purchase large quantities to get the better pricing. That's fine if you have several vehicles, but not so good for a single care used sparingly.
M1 after rebate is the same price. QSUD doesn't have a 0w-20, at least at WM.

Between friends and family, I probably go thru 120-140 quarts per year.

Last edited:
OP: there is nothing wrong with your choice, QSUD is an excellent oil and I like the Quaker State lineup in general if nothing for the nostalgia of it all. But it seems like a bit of a false choice, or false decision, when you can also bundle Mobil 1 and get a $12 rebate for each jug.

There's nothing wrong with either option, but not really sure it's the great deal you're making it out as...

I made the switch from Mobil1 years ago and now use Quaker State. It is a fine oil and a lot more quiet in my engines.

Originally Posted by buster
I spoke to a Shell tech a few weeks ago that basically said the QS oils won't keep the engine as clean as the Pennzoil line. Notice the marketing they tend to emphasize. In some cars, you're not likely to notice a difference, but in some you would. The price of QS is indicative of the performance.

Maybe, but in the real world I doubt anyone would ever notice a difference in engine cleanliness between the two at reasonable intervals. Our escape (while easy on oil) has 192k on mostly QSUD @ 6-7.5K intervals and its varnish free under the valve cover. Looks like brand new and uses no noticeable oil between OCI's

I'm sure PP or PUP will clean slightly better due to higher detergent levels, however QSUD isn't exactly rocking a budget add pack. My 2 Cents.

If I was the OP I'd see no reason not to switch if it's the better value.

Last edited:
I have also been thinking of switching from valvoline hm in one truck and mobil 1 in the other. To either penzoil platinum or lowee cost QSUD.
QS is 1.7 or 1.8 thicker if I can remember at operating temp.
Wondering will penzoil get better milage and/or will QS protect better when towing ?
Still haven't made my mind up yet

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
If you want to continue running OCIs close to 10K, then stick with Mobil-1.
If you want to run OCIs of 5-7K, then move over to Quaker State.

01.gif

Why?

Critic your choice to switch is solid.

Originally Posted by The Critic
WM Online is selling all grades of Quaker State UD Synthetic for $16.61/jug as long as you purchase six jugs at a time.

Currently, I use either Mobil 1 EP, Mobil 1 or Idemitsu ZePro for my personal and friends' cars (non-customer) depending on my mood. Switching to QS would save me (or the person) 30-40%. QS is GM Dexos 1 Gen 2 approved for every grade.

All of these cars are late model Honda, Infiniti or Toyota vehicles specifying 0W-20, 5W-20 or 5W-30 and have service intervals between 5K-10K miles. Most are closer to 10K miles though.

Is there any reason why I should not make the switch?

Make the change and evaluate the results. Depending on the vehicle, you may or may not perceive differing results.
IMHO, I think you won't. Save some moolah and switch.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Had the original engine in the 77 in my sig ruined by QS back in the early eighties, the Insurance rep QS sent out said the rod and main bearing knock in that previously quiet 6 cylinder was normal and denied my claim. I`v told many people I will carry that grudge to my grave. I`m an otherwise forgiving person who would help anyone in need and have hundreds of times.

Originally Posted by dave1251

01.gif

Why?

Why?
You don't feel Mobil-1 is a stronger protector and cleans better? Mobil-1's nearest competitor in it's class is Pennzoil Platinum and even SOPUS admits Pennzoil is rated higher than Quaker State.

Don't try to compare an apple to an orange. Quaker State's competition class consists of oils like Castrol Magnatec (not Edge) and Mobil Super Synthetic, not Mobil-1.
I really don't care what the Critic chooses. I only choose to tell him what the better brand is, for OCIs that may touch 10K.

Last edited:
You'd really run motor oil more than 7500 miles in any late model DI passenger car or light truck engine?
I would never take that chance.

Heck, the I4 in my cheap nox is so finicky, I won't exceed a 3000-mile OCI... it starts to chew through Mobil1 at 2500 miles. I stopped using M1.

Last edited:
So you get another 500 miles of chewing for a grand total of 3k OCI on synthetic … ?

Originally Posted by 4WD
If you are not doing extended runs it is a great deal

^^^^^

I agree.

+1 ...

For a 10K run , my money would be on M1 (preferably M1 EP) . I don't believe SOPUS synthetic oils (Pennzoil , Quaker State ) have ever been branded as long drain oils . Although not your goal - I would only use QSUD for less than a 7,500 mile OCI . Lastly , I would not run standard M1 , PP , QSUD , Castrol Edge , etc. for 10,000 mile OCI's without an Oil Test from Blackstone or equivalent .
Originally Posted by Nickdfresh
OP: there is nothing wrong with your choice, QSUD is an excellent oil and I like the Quaker State lineup in general if nothing for the nostalgia of it all. But it seems like a bit of a false choice, or false decision, when you can also bundle Mobil 1 and get a $12 rebate for each jug.

There's nothing wrong with either option, but not really sure it's the great deal you're making it out as...

*Good to hear ! ... I always "assumed" engine internals may have that slight yellow / gold discolored look using QSUD .
Originally Posted by donnyj08
I spoke to a Shell tech a few weeks ago that basically said the QS oils won't keep the engine as clean as the Pennzoil line. Notice the marketing they tend to emphasize. In some cars, you're not likely to notice a difference, but in some you would. The price of QS is indicative of the performance.

Maybe, but in the real world I doubt anyone would ever notice a difference in engine cleanliness between the two at reasonable intervals. Our escape (while easy on oil) has 192k on mostly QSUD @ 6-7.5K intervals and its varnish free under the valve cover. Looks like brand new and uses no noticeable oil between OCI's

I'm sure PP or PUP will clean slightly better due to higher detergent levels, however QSUD isn't exactly rocking a budget add pack. My 2 Cents.

If I was the OP I'd see no reason not to switch if it's the better value.

Originally Posted by Matagonka
M1 has the best rebate at the moment.

If you're doing the rebate option and in 5w flavor,. buy EP..... outstanding oil for only a few dollars more.

Hey SteveG4
I concour..... your post near the bottom of Page-1

Originally Posted by dave1251

01.gif

Why?

Why?
You don't feel Mobil-1 is a stronger protector and cleans better? Mobil-1's nearest competitor in it's class is Pennzoil Platinum and even SOPUS admits Pennzoil is rated higher than Quaker State.

Don't try to compare an apple to an orange. Quaker State's competition class consists of oils like Castrol Magnatec (not Edge) and Mobil Super Synthetic, not Mobil-1.
I really don't care what the Critic chooses. I only choose to tell him what the better brand is, for OCIs that may touch 10K.

Your posting non-sense without any real world data to back up non-sense. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TfXqPTe6Zo that is one dirty motor.

No it is the emphasis on marketing by Shell for a higher profit. Run QSUD 5W30 and PP 5W30 in two engines for 200K with the same OCI and maintenance we will not see the difference. Cherry picking test results gives each claim the data needed to make advertising claims. The claims made are also nearly indistinguishable upon inspection it really is a non factor.

Most manufacturers state change oil by the oil life monitor, 10k or 1 year with them not even specifying conventional or synthetic oil much less saying use Mobil1 for 10k or OLM and change any other oil brand at 5k or 6 months. My Caravan states conventional oil for 10k but you can use synthetic but not extend drain interval.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back