Switching to Quaker State Ultimate Durability from M1

Status
Not open for further replies.
WM Online is selling all grades of Quaker State UD Synthetic for $16.61/jug as long as you purchase six jugs at a time.

Currently, I use either Mobil 1 EP, Mobil 1 or Idemitsu ZePro for my personal and friends' cars (non-customer) depending on my mood. Switching to QS would save me (or the person) 30-40%. QS is GM Dexos 1 Gen 2 approved for every grade.

All of these cars are late model Honda, Infiniti or Toyota vehicles specifying 0W-20, 5W-20 or 5W-30 and have service intervals between 5K-10K miles. Most are closer to 10K miles though.

Is there any reason why I should not make the switch?

Originally Posted by The Critic

I can't think of one, solitary reason.

I can't imagine (and would be VERY surprised) if it doesn't work out well for you.

Toyota's and honda's aren't too picky about oil, the normally aspirated Infiniti engine the VQ37 will be fine with it too. I'm uncertain how well QS or Mobil1EP are doing in the VR30TT and the 4cyl turbo they borrowed for M.B. for the QX30, they have other concerns with LSPI.

I'll take M1 EP over QS.
EP doing well in our DI.
Car says use QS but I haven't yet.

While I think Mobil 1 is a better overall oil, in this situation the QS is a better deal for you, especially if drain intervals are less than 10k. What I like most about the QS line is how simple it is - Conventional, dexos blend, Full Synthetic.

Originally Posted by The Critic
WM Online is selling all grades of Quaker State UD Synthetic for $16.61/jug as long as you purchase six jugs at a time.

Currently, I use either Mobil 1 EP, Mobil 1 or Idemitsu ZePro for my personal and friends' cars (non-customer) depending on my mood. Switching to QS would save me (or the person) 30-40%. QS is GM Dexos 1 Gen 2 approved for every grade.

All of these cars are late model Honda, Infiniti or Toyota vehicles specifying 0W-20, 5W-20 or 5W-30 and have service intervals between 5K-10K miles. Most are closer to 10K miles though.

Insert comment about WalMart oil not being the same. My obviously sarcastic joke in the other thread went over like a lead balloon.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
If you want to continue running OCIs close to 10K, then stick with Mobil-1.
If you want to run OCIs of 5-7K, then move over to Quaker State.

01.gif

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
If you want to continue running OCIs close to 10K, then stick with Mobil-1.
If you want to run OCIs of 5-7K, then move over to Quaker State.

Do we have any UOA's of the latest version (SN+/D1G2) being less potent over long OCI's when compared against Mobil 1?

I recall some older formulas of QS showing low TBN during extended drains but I have not seen any recent reports.

Go for it. QSUD is one of my favorite oils. The butt dyno finds it real smooth and quiet
smile.gif

I spoke to a Shell tech a few weeks ago that basically said the QS oils won't keep the engine as clean as the Pennzoil line. Notice the marketing they tend to emphasize. In some cars, you're not likely to notice a difference, but in some you would. The price of QS is indicative of the performance.

Key reason not to is because you have to purchase large quantities to get the better pricing. That's fine if you have several vehicles, but not so good for a single care used sparingly.
M1 after rebate is the same price. QSUD doesn't have a 0w-20, at least at WM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back