Switching to Mobil 1 on the Honda

I have been running Pennzoil Platinum 0w20 in my Accord since I purchased it 7 years ago. It is time for an oil change so I stopped by Walmart to pick up a jug and saw they were out of PP. I run Mobil 1 HM in the Taurus and OEM VW/Audi 508.00 in the Jetta (made my Exxon / Mobil) so I figured now would be as good a time as any to switch the Accord over to Mobil.

What are the base stocks in Mobil 1 AFE 0w20 these days? I used to follow this stuff but haven't much since settling in to my oil choices years ago. I have been using PPPP due to the GTL base stocks, which I believe are very "clean". I could be totally wrong on that.

Oh, I also picked up a Fram Ultra like I always do, but this is the new style that everyone is fussing about.

Earlier this year the SDS indicated that it was something like 60-70% GTL, but then it aparently went back to a blend of mostly PAO and Crude Derived GRP III and some GTL.
1629347846217.jpg

Is there a consensus on which performs better? GTL vs PAO + hydrocracked?
The consensus is people like it when it's got more PAO because it's a more expensive base oil and it makes us feel fuzzy knowing we're using something we think has more premium ingredients, but honestly it doesn't matter that much, what specs the final oil meets is what's more important than the base oils, it's all a balancing game, some oils are more harsh on seals, some hold additives better, some have some inherent detergency, some perform better at extreme cold temperatures, but unless you're buying a lubricant to push it to it's absolute limits and it's rated for so, it's just splitting hairs.

I doubt there is much difference. The Mobil 1 has a nice rebate though with the SOPUS cheapskates never do anymore. I'd look at the EP 0W-20, it's actually cheaper after rebate than AFE...

i think i read somwhere that the m1 0-16 and 0-20 ep have the best base stocks of the m1, and ends up being cheaper than regular m1 with rebates

I ran PP 0W20 in my 2007 Honda Accord previous oil change. I needed to do a new oil change and had the choice of either PP again (last jug in the store) or QSUD so I decided to switch to QS this time. Both were the same price. I think the QSUD is a tiny bit thicker - from the data out there but I just flipped a coin, kinda. Mobil 1 EP and HM were also available with the former $4 more and the latter around the same price as the other two I just mentioned. I hope all goes well.

I also used a Fram Ultra (XG7317).

I think the QSUD is a tiny bit thicker - from the data out there but I just flipped a coin, kinda. Mobil 1 EP and HM were also available with the former $4 more and the latter around the same price as the other two I just mentioned. I hope all goes well.
Why would you have to hope? That’s what API licenses are for, so that one does not have to hope an oil “goes well.”

Back