Switching to back and forth to different oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
is it a bad idea to switch to different oils ......if WM has a sale on the one your not presently using? I normally don't but wondered if it will screw anything up in the motor or not. I would think not but.....?

OK...what I mean is can I go from M1 to QS and then another time go from Val to Penn.....as long as the weight is the same.

Yeah stay at whatever your maker wants, old mechanics take "Switching from qs to penn to castrol and so on causes sludge" is a big crock

Thats what I was thinking but I have heard some mechanics say that your better off staying with the same brand all the time.

YES....it is fine.
As mentioned....make sure that it meets the specifications for your vehicle......
In other words....If you are using 0W-20 and they have only 10W-30 on sale.....then pass on it......as I'm sure you know.

I have a favorite brand that I like to stick with.....but you will do no harm switching between good brands of oil.

if it was the case all the cabs who top off at 1000 different stores, stations etc would implode from "quakerzoil sunocotech castroline"

I switch all the time and use conventional for over 7K OCI's imagine that.
shocked2.gif

Originally Posted By: dave1251
shocked2.gif

In that Arizona heat!! I hope you're using nothing less than a 15w/40 you're gonna cook the engine!
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: 4ever4d
shocked2.gif

In that Arizona heat!! I hope you're using nothing less than a 15w/40 you're gonna cook the engine!
smirk.gif

Nope 5W-20. Imagine that.

I prefere to pick one oil and stick with it. The rationale is that often times we hear that oil consumption changes after changing brands. I feel that the engine parts break-in and take somewhat of a pattern based on the frictional charteristics of the oil used. That can be upset when randomly changing brands. JMO and observations from others on this site. Just seems like a safer way to go. Ed

Last edited:
As long as you stay in manufacturers spec, changing oil brands might actually be good. Changing add packs may let actually one cover the weakness of another...that's my story and I'm sticking with it

What happens when blenders change the products formulation?

+1

The Mobil 1 5W-30 you bought 2 years ago probably is not the same formula as today.

I did a long run of PU after a life-time of M1. When switching back to M1, I lost a quart quite rapidly. I topped off and the consumption seems to have stabilized.

its fine any oil with the rating you need is fine there is no reason to stay with one oil all the time. Buy what is on sale or the cheapest name brand

What happens when blenders change the products formulation?

Interesting. I have wondered that for years. When blenders change up the formula of any given oil...well its a different oil. Mite be the same blend of base oil or it may not. I really believe switchin between the brands is just a fact of life. Especially when you got a global web site on the net with a bunch a oil hoarders posting threads about there last "score" on some really good oil that was just too darn cheap to pass up! Then next month its a different brand thats on sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back