Switching to Amsoil... How long should I go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an 08 Civic 5-spd as well. I like SSO a lot in that car, especially when I get on it a bit.

I might start changing the oil & filter every B maintenance once I'm out of the warranty period. I don't see much problem using SSO and a premium oil filter every 12,000 to 15,000 miles. If I want to push it longer, I'd probably invest in a UOA at 15,000 miles to see how the oil's holding up.

ASM would be my choice. But there are XLM and RD20 as well. The biggest thing to stay within warranty is actually viscosity. Do be careful what you read here though, some folks will claim that running any Amsoil motor oil will "void your warranty". It's simply not true.

That said - we are running SSO in the 2006 Honda Odyssey with extended warranty and it hasn't blown up yet! I've used ASM, RD20, and XLM and all performed just fine. Sounded and felt exactly the same. Don't tell Honda but I do 2x the OLM, this time 3X.

Overkill? Too expensive? Pennies compared to fuel and the car cost.

Now at 22K? Just do 2X the OLM, simply reset it the first time it comes up at 5%.

I love the guys that claim this site is biased toward Amsoil

Amsoil may not automatically void you warranty, but it 'may' cause 'hassles' in this day and age of man. looking for any reason not to pony up for a repair.

Doesn't seem worth the risk. Amsoil didn't think so either - if they did, WHY did they make the 'XL' line of oils that are API-certified, and in the correct grade that most cars call for (ie 5W-20 and 5W-30, not 0W-20 and 0W-30)???

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Amsoil may not automatically void you warranty, but it 'may' cause 'hassles' in this day and age of man. looking for any reason not to pony up for a repair.

Doesn't seem worth the risk. Amsoil didn't think so either - if they did, WHY did they make the 'XL' line of oils that are API-certified, and in the correct grade that most cars call for (ie 5W-20 and 5W-30, not 0W-20 and 0W-30)???

Lower cost, easier sell in quick lube places.

True, but part of that 'easer to sell' is that the XL grades are what is actually on oil caps and usually in owners manuals - 5W-20, 5W-30, or 10W-30.

Owners manuals are only just strting to rec. '0W' oils, so there is still a lot of confusion about whether these can be used. Not so with the XL oils - its the same as what the manufacturers say.

XL line is marketing to a different market, api certified and warranty safe type peoples. Some people need that peace of mind and some don't, as clearly shown in this thread. Different strokes for different folks.

Pablo is right, there's more Amsoil bashing on these forums then Amsoil lovin'. Stop the hate man! All oil should be loved equally

11.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back