Switching to Amsoil... How long should I go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm switching to Amsoil just because of all the hype I have heard about it. I bought two gallons of the 0w-30 100% synthetic oil and filters off of their website with the member discount.

This oil is for a 2008 Civic EX 5-sp that currently has 22,000 miles on it. My driving consists of extended highway, short trips in town and pretty much everything since it's my daily driver. I do run my car hard from time to time since it's a manual but I don't beat the engine up.

So, my question is... with the filters being rated for 25k how long should I try to go between changes? On my current oil Pennzoil PP I usually go 7500 and I'm thinking of making that 15k with this new Amsoil but going that long is just not what I'm used to. I trust that it will last but do still have my doubts.

PS: This is my first car bought on my own and I want it to last until I die or 300-400k whichever comes first =P

Last edited:
You sound rather active which is not uncommon for a young person. Your annual mileage will probably fall between 12-15k/year ..possibly more.

SSO with a EaO will handle the one year mark without issues, imo. I'd love to see a UOA @ the 6month mark, but it's not a requirement.

welcome2.gif

You're being silly about this.

Your nearly-new Civic has a warranty on it for a good bit longer. In the manual, and on the oil cap, it call for 5W-20 oil, and give you an OCI you have to do to keep the warranty intact. I believe this yoear of civic has an OLM, if not, the manual will have the OCI indicated....7500 or 10k miles.

You need to use an API-certified 5W-20 oil, and follow that OCI. Stick with the PP 5W-20 you have been using, OR if you really want to use amsoil, go with their 'XL' 5W-20 oil, which is API-certified.

Why people go 'Amsoil blind' and completely ignore the warranty stipulations on a brand-new car they paid thousands of dollars for, I will never know.

If you isnsist on sticking with what you have planned, have fun if you ever need to have a repair made under warranty!

On top of that you'll more then likely NOT keep that car as you mentioned.Hardly anyone does.There like wives.It gets old or wrecked or dosen't fit your lifstyle.We ALL have had our first NEW car and moved on to many others.You will also.

The amsoil for 15k and 1 year would be fine in that honda. As others mentioned, there's always the warranty issue, but that's a call only you can make. I simply can't imagine a lube related failure in any Honda engine... I just can't.

I wouldn't have a problem using Amsoil, but I would stick with one of their 20 grade oils, since the engine calls for a 20 grade.

Originally Posted By: Beasty Kato
I'm switching to Amsoil just because of all the hype I have heard about it. I bought two gallons of the 0w-30 100% synthetic oil and filters off of their website with the member discount.

This oil is for a 2008 Civic EX 5-sp that currently has 22,000 miles on it. My driving consists of extended highway, short trips in town and pretty much everything since it's my daily driver. I do run my car hard from time to time since it's a manual but I don't beat the engine up.

So, my question is... with the filters being rated for 25k how long should I try to go between changes? On my current oil Pennzoil PP I usually go 7500 and I'm thinking of making that 15k with this new Amsoil but going that long is just not what I'm used to. I trust that it will last but do still have my doubts.

PS: This is my first car bought on my own and I want it to last until I die or 300-400k whichever comes first =P
I Would run the oil and at 15,000 miles pull a sample and do a uoa to see how the oil is holding up ,then decide how the long to let the oil go. It seems you drive quite a bit so the oil should hold up . It would be nice to get 25,000 mile oil change intervals and still have the engine last . Engine with the greatest life potential are the ones that spend their lives at operating temps.

Dude, that was overkill. Your Honda does not need to be running AMSOIL SSO.

You had it right with PP. Stick with PP, M1, or Valvoline FS 5W-20 and you would be fine.

Originally Posted By: hpichris
Dude, that was overkill. Your Honda does not need to be running AMSOIL SSO.

You had it right with PP. Stick with PP, M1, or Valvoline FS 5W-20 and you would be fine.

+1

Well, if all of the bashers and gang tacklers are done
grin2.gif
after you reach the one year mark and see how much mileage you really do, you may opt for a different Amsoil product. One year is a piece of cake in most cases, and if your alternative is doing 6 months with one of the other products mentioned, then you're saving money.

Short OCI's ..without any rational justification (just belief) is for wimps and sissies
grin2.gif

Oil can be a mood enhancer. Some people use it to feel better.

When my warranty is up I might be running sso for 1 year intervals / 15k miles. Did the same with ASL in my Civic Si and it was such a simple solution. At the moment I have a big stash of PP to go through
wink.gif

The warranty is a justified concern and I will certainly take it into account. I was with the other poster that I just don't feel a need for concern over having an engine failure with my car. Could anything happen? Well, sure it could and I could be eating my words but thanks for the concern.

I drive a lot have barely had the car over a year and I have 22,000 miles on it so I really want to go extended drains and I don't trust going 15k or more on any other oil. It's a bit of blind faith I must admit because I have never even used Amsoil I'm just going by word of mouth.

And for you non-believers I will own this car well past 200k =P

I must say it is nice that I can spread my ridiculous driving habits over 4 cars....I hope you will still own the car past 200k!! It's a great feeling to have a car that long and it still drives like the day you first smelled the interior.

I just put ASM 0W-20 in my 2003 Civic last night. I'm planning to run 15,000 miles which should equat to about 1 year. I used a Mobil 1 filter since I had 1 on the shelf.

Too expensive?? Overkill? That is only a opinion!! If I, or anyone else wants to use a a great oil, who cares about a couple of dollars. We are not all cheap a**'S. Some people drive Vette's while some drive a Suzuki"s!!! As far as the OCI, our Prez would like us not using so much oil and being green. Save our planet because you know we are the ones causing globel warming, just ask Al.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back