Switching Internet service providers??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: ClutchDisc
Modems

Nothing is showing up. I think it needs a valid zipcode.

But anyway, if you're only going to be at 10 Mbps, then any old DOCSIS 2.0 modem should work, such as Motorola SB5101.

But if next year you decide to upgrade to a speed higher than about 25-30 Mbps, you'll have to go out and buy a new modem again. So it depends on your budget, I guess.

Hmmm, I never put a Zip code in, I guess it found it on it's own. The Motorola you listed is on the list though. What are your thoughts on the Cisco DPC2100? Price is better than any of the Motorola modems.

Based on those Amazon reviews, I would have no problems buying it. The only minor issue I saw users complain about was the lights - very bright and can be annoying in a dark room. Alas, this is somewhat typical even of Motorola modems, too. You can always put some tint over them if they're too distracting.

Thanks, thats what I thought. The lights won't bother me with the area it would be in. Now I just need to decide if I am going to stick with Bright House or try AT&T.

You guys, some of you, have options. I have Comcast, period. When Verizon was trying to bring us FIOS, Comcast greased enough palms here in Haverhill, Ma (and a lot of other towns) to keep FIOS out. So, you have to work with it, I have a tickler rate on high Def that will carry me through the football season and 105MB/S internet no matter what. I use my own modem and router and have to be happy for $80.00/month for the next six months. I just signed with and moved my landline number from BasicTalk ($13/month) to NetTalk ($29.99/year).

Another thing you can do if you're enslaved to Comcast is band together with the neighbors and take turns disconnecting and re-connecting under tickler deals that you then disconnect when they go full-rate. One neighbor signs up for all the boxes under the deal and distributes them to the neighbors. Comcast doesn't know where the boxes are on any given street. Each neighbor keeps his own internet so the connection to the house stays live (although I always keep everyone connected here regardless) and they all live with the tickler rate, which is what the true rate would be if there was competition. It's what you do when the CATV provider is crooked and corrupt. They can hardly complain.

Originally Posted By: Concours14
You guys, some of you, have options. I have Comcast, period.

Same where I live. Neither FIOS nor Uverse ever made it here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back