Switching from Synthetic to Dino 2008 xB

Status
Not open for further replies.
On my 2008 XB I've been running synthetic (M1, PP) since about 50K mile (currently @ 124K miles) It currently burns .5 quarts of oil every 1K mile, so doing my 5K mile Oil change interval I'm adding 2.5 quarts of oil.

Would I do better off going to a quality Dino oil in 5w30? I currently run 5w30 M1 high mileage to try and curb consumption.

Any negative consequences?

Give the M1 HM a few runs to see if the consumption decreases. Next step would be Maxlife red bottle.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
Give the M1 HM a few runs to see if the consumption decreases. Next step would be Maxlife red bottle.
it's been at least 4 oil changes with M1 HM. It did slow it down. It was almost 1 quart / 1000 miles at one time.

The max life red bottle. That the high mileage syn blend?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RamFan
Has it burned that much since you've had it or is it a new occurrence?

We bought it new. Didn't start burning oil until about 85K miles. Did some research and apparently it's not uncommon with the Toyota 2AZ-FE engine to do this.

I was just thinking since I'm doing 5K OCI, and changing out 2.5 quarts on average during that time it might be a waste of $$ using M1

2AZ high mileage oil burning is caused by piston rings. There's a class action lawsuit for it, google it. No oil can stop this type of burning, get it fixed.

Originally Posted By: HKPolice
2AZ high mileage oil burning is caused by piston rings. There's a class action lawsuit for it, google it. No oil can stop this type of burning, get it fixed.

I'm not sure it's worth the $$ for me to get it fixed. I think it's probably about $2500 repair and car is worth $6000. So going to keep checking oil and adding as needed.

I would not waste synthetic at 5k OCIs plus the additional oil for top offs. Any SN rated dino will be good for this oil burner.

I believe few members here with Toyota oil burners have experimented with all kinds of different oils and none of them managed to significantly reduce the oil burning in the long run. So fixing the rings is probably the only reliable option if you want to keep the car long term.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
I would not waste synthetic at 5k OCIs plus the additional oil for top offs. Any SN rated dino will be good for this oil burner.

I believe few members here with Toyota oil burners have experimented with all kinds of different oils and none of them managed to significantly reduce the oil burning in the long run. So fixing the rings is probably the only reliable option if you want to keep the car long term.

That's what I was thinking. So much top off and short OCI syn a waste.

Might as well pick up whichever conv. HM oil is on sale. If you hunt around, you can find sub $3/qt HM oils. I picked up QS Defy for $12/5qt, Valvoline ML (nextgen) for $2, and so on. Would not hurt to reach out to Toyota.

What you should to do is to reduce oil consumption for few reasons. Main reason would be a convenience not to check oil level like mad. Second would be not to burn up your money with constant topping up. Last would be not to poison your car's catalyst with excessive oil consumption. Going to conventional will only cure reason number 2, but if you try something thicker like M1 0w40 and 10k miles OCI your wallet and your engine will be very grateful. Not to mention convenience to go a full year OCI.

Last edited:
Per Toyota, 1 quart per 2000 miles will not qualify as "excessive" oil consumption...it is considered "normal"....within design parameters.

2.5 quarts per OCI is an extra $8 per OCI using quality 5w-30 dino...top off and not worry...no "repair" is more cost-effective.

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
http://www.toyoheadquarters.com/threads/excessive-oil-consumption-on-2az-fe-engine-lsc-ze7.362/
OP and myself are now covered by the (LSC) ZE7 campaign.
"Limited Service Campaign (LSC) Remedy
Authorized Toyota dealerships are requested to replace the Engine Pistons at NO CHARGE to the vehicle’s owner."

From that link, assuming clogged piston oil passages are preventing enough oil getting to the rings, which then cause too much wear on the cylinders/rings, which leads to oil consumption from bad compression???? Sounds like its worth it to use Pennzoil Ultra synthetic, with an every-oil-change engine flush or seafoam for 100 miles prior to an oil change.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
So, you're not going to look into having Toyota do the physical repair work?
unless toyota is going to pick up the tab for it no, I know there is currently a class action lawsuit but unless they settle and offer repairs for all effected I don't see me shelling out the $$ to do it. If oil consumption gets worse I'll just sell/trade in the XB and move on

http://www.toyoheadquarters.com/threads/excessive-oil-consumption-on-2az-fe-engine-lsc-ze7.362/

Authorized Toyota dealerships are requested to replace the Engine Pistons at NO CHARGE to the vehicle’s owner."

"Please contact you local Toyota Dealer for appropriate diagnosis and repair at no cost to you."

I will definitely look into that. Thanks

"Please contact you local Toyota Dealer for appropriate diagnosis and repair at no cost to you."

Need to check by Vin number. My matrix wasn't covered when I entered the Vin to check.

Last edited:
Yup I just checked my VIN and I'm not covered.
frown.gif

So back to my original question. Would going back to say Valvoline Maxlife or even Pennzoil yellow bottle after running M1 have any negative consequences?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back