switching from conventional to synthetic for mpg?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all! New here and I have a question about switching oil. I have a 02 Ranger with the 2.3L, and it's a 5 speed. I currently use castrol conventional 5w-20 and a puralator filter. I change my oil every 5k miles and it always comes out pretty clean. The truck has 167k miles, is my daily putter (roughly 60 miles a day mainly highway) and runs great with no leaks/mechanical problems. I average 28mpg. I want to know if switching to a synthetic oil or a lower viscosity would help at all with fuel economy? My goal is to get the best fuel economy as possible per fluids. I baby my truck (for the most part) and coast as much as possible. I read a few threads on PPPP oil and wondered if that would be a good choice? Any and all help is greatly appreciated. I also am going to be switching my trans and diff soon to Red line fluids per threads I read.

welcome2.gif

Sounds like you're doing good already. Switching to a synthetic probably won't gain you any more mpg, even if it did it'd probably be nearly unnoticeable. Since you drive a decent amount of miles I say go ahead and switch to synthetic and change it every 7,500 miles, maybe more if a UOA comes out good.

Nick's right, no guarantee of increased mpg....but some have reported an increase. It all depends on the vehicle and the oil. And welcome!

In your case I'd go with a 0w20, maybe M1 AFE or Amsoil, and go at least 7500 miles OCI.

While I was at it, I'd change over the differentials and transmission to Amsoil as well, both of those can benefit mpg.

I'd probably be running Maxlife or Mobil 1 HM 5w-20 at this point, although any mileage gain synthetic allows you will be negligible.

Make sure your tires are properly inflated and you have a recent alignment.

Red Line makes great gear oils. Excellent choice.

Welcome.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
I'd probably be running Maxlife or Mobil 1 HM 5w-20 at this point, although any mileage gain synthetic allows you will be negligible.

Welcome.

+1

There WILL be a reduction in friction, and commensurately a reduction in fuel consumption...probably beyond your capacity to measure it, but it will still be there.

Don't expect miracles by simply going to synthetic. The gain in MPG would be small.

I have never noticed any better MPG from Synthetic Oil all by itself. ATMOF, I often see less MPG on the OCI, and I've been monitoring my fuel economy in vehicles since the early 70's when it didn't even matter!

Give Mobil 1 AFE a try.

My brother is using it in his Civic right now, and this is the first time he has used it. He just checked the mileage when he filled up this last time for fuel, and it was 40 mpg. Before this, he was using PP and PU (old formula), and the average was around 38 mpg consistently. He tried Amsoil a couple of times, and it went up to around 40 mpg (better basestocks or friction modifiers?). After Amsoil, he went back to PU and PP, and it went back down to around 38 mpg.

He said he is pleased with Mobil 1 AFE, not just with the little bump in mpg, but with the way the engine is running right now. Smoother and quieter, he said.

Last edited:
If I RECALL CORRECTLY, ILSAC GF5 spec conserving "conventional" oils must SURPASS A REAL SYNTHETIC STD OIL In PROVIDING IMPROVED mpg by a certain %.
"Conventional" oil isn't anymore, so you'ld have to search out certain resource conserving XHVI low HTHS ILSAC /A1 type fluids - like ENEO Sustina or equivalent - not just "any" synthetic - many which are NOT truly synthetics.
Then there the group IV or V thing or blend of such.
-

Note: I got my best MPG in my old Honda with Valvoline synpower 0w20.

Last edited:
I can only speak for myself and an honest buddy of mine that both of use got +1mpg in our Hondas (05 Odyssey and 02 Accord) going to Mobil 1 0w20 AFE. I then switched to Mobil 1 0w20 EP and am hitting ~26.5 on the highway. Prior to these I was using Valvoline 0w20 and getting about 23.5. There is also a Mobil 1 rebate right now that was listed in the deal section here on this site. I think if you google Mobil 1 rebate you'll find it though.

in short, my opinion is that it's definitely worth trying one oil change to see if there's a difference.

It is unlikely that there would be enough fuel savings, if any, to pay for the added cost of the synthetic oil. The added oil drain interval might pay off.

The GF-5 sequence VID fuel economy testing is very complex. While a small increase in fuel economy is required, the main emphasis was for the savings to extend farther through the life of the oil. I can't find where a synthetic is required as the reference oil.

Dal, do whatever you want. You're doing good now, and any change won't be significant.

My MPG goal doesn't figure in cost or payback.

Full synth 0w20...any brand current spec or dealer sourced.

Synthetic: gear oils, transfer case, diffs, power steering fluid, manual or auto trans fluids, and wheel bearing universal joint greases.

Tire pressure a couple psi too high when cold, perfect alignment, and MPG low rolling resistance tires.

Engine in a good state of tune, plugs, filters, thermostat rad cap, antifreeze condition and ratio, sensors, cleaned TB/maf...

Originally Posted By: wemay
Originally Posted By: Bandito440

Welcome.

+1

+2

I saw a definite improvement in my truck going from the factory fill manual trans / diff fluid to synthetic.

I went with Redline MTL in the trans and Amsoil Syn for the rear diff. Went from 24 to 26 consistently and repeatable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back