Switching Brands Frequently??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 360kid
I really wanted to use Mobil 1, but the price was a touch high.

If you're interested in it you can get M1 0w-20 and use the $10 rebate that's currently available on it when you buy 5 quarts. You should be able to find the rebate and the details in the deals and rebates section of the forum

Originally Posted By: Kruse
Originally Posted By: 360kid

Is switching brands frequently okay? I always learned growing up that you pick one brand and stick to it. Only stray from your chosen brand if you're in a pinch.

I had an '88 Cougar that I purchased new that probably had a different brand in it on each oil change. At the most, I used the same brand twice in a row. It made it to 300K miles before it was retired without having a valve cover or oil pan off. I used mostly Motorcraft or SuperTech oil filters, although there could have been a half a dozen other brands on it during the life of the car.

Wow!! you put 300,000 miles on a Ford 3.8 Liter with out having to replace either head gasket?? or was it the 5.0L??

Originally Posted By: oil_spaz
I have a theory that switching brands occasionally might actually be good for an engine. Could an engine possibly benefit from the exposure to different additives?

I have heard that before on the Jeep forums...people who have used whatever dino was on sale changed every 3-6k and some of those motors looked the best after 3-400k from reports I read!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back