Switched to Android and never been happier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a Samsung s3 and wanted the s7 because of improved battery life. Well.. after seeing the video of someone catching on fire I think I'm going to buy a mophie juice pack instead. $5.99 on amazon! what???

All I have used is Android. I am happy with it until Google decides my battery needs drained in 30 minutes. I guess that's the price I have to pay LOL.

I have a Moto G4 as well. Cheap 2GB RAM, 16GB flash model. It's nice, lightweight. So far so good. My not so old Nexus 6P had flaky wireless and would frequently reboot itself. Heavy as a brick, too.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
They're both screwdrivers- just tools.

I'd say more like knives, but yes, just tools:

Android:
Android-Swiss.jpg

IOS:
IOS-Knife.jpg

Originally Posted By: Skid
I have a Moto G4 as well. Cheap 2GB RAM, 16GB flash model. It's nice, lightweight. So far so good.

I'm loving mine so far. I lucked up and Best Buy matched Amazon.com's intro price of $149.99 for the unlocked phone (even though the Prime version was the same price initially), AND Best Buy was offering a $50 gift card...probably to match Amazon's price of $149.99. But their store policy is they price match Amazon on items "sold and shipped by Amazon", so I got it for $150 AND got the gift card.

I just spent the gift card today and two Logitech wireless mice.

Great deal, and great phone.

Originally Posted By: JeepWJ19

As for the process, I'm hoping I have no trouble updating, but I don't think anything can be as bad as what the android users with cyanogenmod had when Sprint had a carrier update (forget the specifics but my friend had a bear of a time getting his phone back to working properly).

Cyanogenmod has nothing to do with carrier updates. Was it maybe an issue with a CM nightly? That's the cost of using beta software.

Originally Posted By: Subdued

As for the process, I'm hoping I have no trouble updating, but I don't think anything can be as bad as what the android users with cyanogenmod had when Sprint had a carrier update (forget the specifics but my friend had a bear of a time getting his phone back to working properly).

Cyanogenmod has nothing to do with carrier updates. Was it maybe an issue with a CM nightly? That's the cost of using beta software.

That was an issue with a CM nightly. The CM would allow the carrier update to attempt to patch itself into CM. Big headache for some but pretty easily solved with a wipe and fresh install.

Hi fellas my name is lance! Im new here and way behind times lol.i had some kind of android phone all i knew how to do was text,call,google and thats about it! My son gave me a galaxy s3 and i know its out dated but it does all kinds of thijgs.im learning though.i had issues with charging,3 chargers and couldnt get it to charge.so i cleaned charge port with conract cleaner and finally corrected that problem.but the functions,apps and stuff that i do know is easy!ok i just wanted to say hi and if i have questions i know where to come!

My daughter bought a Galaxy S3, brand new, on eBay last year. The charging port stopped working after only two months. Apparently, this is a known weak point on that series. Even though we bought it from an actual electronics retailer through eBay, brand new in the box, Samsung weaseled out of honoring the warranty because the phone was not purchased from an "authorized reseller." I won't ever be buying a Samsung phone, that's for sure.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
My daughter bought a Galaxy S3, brand new, on eBay last year. The charging port stopped working after only two months. Apparently, this is a known weak point on that series. Even though we bought it from an actual electronics retailer through eBay, brand new in the box, Samsung weaseled out of honoring the warranty because the phone was not purchased from an "authorized reseller." I won't ever be buying a Samsung phone, that's for sure.

You are mad at Samsung because you bought from flea bay? It's a Wild West there and no warranty.

Isn't that phone from 2012 so new does not make much sense unless they still offer?

Originally Posted By: madRiver

You are mad at Samsung because you bought from flea bay? It's a Wild West there and no warranty.

Isn't that phone from 2012 so new does not make much sense unless they still offer?

Samsung only denied the warranty claim after she submitted "additional information" three times. I get it. Even though it was new in an unopened box I get it. I'm not "mad" at Samsung. To sell a phone for the prices they get with a micro USB jack that wears out after two months is really the main reason I said I wouldn't buy one of their phones. The eBay seller had a long history and provided a legitimate business receipt - not just an eBay printout. He was surprised that Samsung wouldn't honor the warranty as well.

No matter, it's done and whatever reason I decide is adequate for me to not do business with a company is my own concern. My post was a corollary to the earlier post about troubles with the USB port on the Galaxy S3.

After using an iphone for 4-5 years, I switched to a galaxy s6 in December, and I love it.

My old verizon iphone 5 was compatible with both GSM and CDMA networks
https://www.verizonwireless.com/smartphones/iphone-5-certified-pre-owned/

There are some things I really, really don't like about android though.
There is a delay with some push notifications. Sometimes this doesn't matter, but with some messaging apps, it's super annoying.
https://eladnava.com/google-cloud-messaging-extremely-unreliable/

I also really, really wish the wifi was smarter. I hear on older android os's that you could tell the phone to switch wifi networks more often, if you had a weak signal. I have two access points in my house, and the phone absolutely refuses to switch no matter how weak the signal is. I have a temporary solution of reducing the power of access point #2, but I'm looking into getting a unifi access point which should solve the problem. Still, I wish android would let me fix this somehow, without new hardware.

Originally Posted By: madRiver

Samsung only denied the warranty claim after she submitted "additional information" three times. I get it. Even though it was new in an unopened box I get it. I'm not "mad" at Samsung. To sell a phone for the prices they get with a micro USB jack that wears out after two months is really the main reason I said I wouldn't buy one of their phones. The eBay seller had a long history and provided a legitimate business receipt - not just an eBay printout. He was surprised that Samsung wouldn't honor the warranty as well.

No matter, it's done and whatever reason I decide is adequate for me to not do business with a company is my own concern. My post was a corollary to the earlier post about troubles with the USB port on the Galaxy S3.

My Samsung devices are usually purchased online and out of country...saves me money for sure, but you simply have to accept that Samsung Oz doesn't cover them.

Pay the retail prices, get the warranty.

As to the S3, my wife has one, been going strong for years...I tell her not to walk around the house with a battery charger swinging from the port because it's near flat and she needs facebook...and wouldn't hold Samsung responsible for that either.

BTW, Apple have similar policies (here at least) for where you buy your stuff.

I have been using Amazon for my own phone purchases the last three times. Amazon is "authorized" so there would be no problem with warranty (buying new directly from Amazon, of course, and not from a "marketplace" vendor).

I disliked how extremely controlled the OS. I'm sure others like not having the freedoms of Android as that is much more to worry about.

If you don't know the differences in types of phone systems in the USA, Im somewhat concerned that you don't know when you're being harmed with the wonderful freedoms present in Android. ATT/TM and Sprint/VZ use different types of systems, and its clear that they aren't compatible with just a little research.

Regardless, enjoy the phone, 4 years is a long time to keep one in the world of ever improving tech...

They are compatible though. 2 years ago I successfully used my verizon iphone 5 in the Bahamas on a GSM network. If you look at the specs for the iphone 5, they even confirm it's compatible with GSM networks.

From the verizon link I posted above.
Network: UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz) GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz) CDMA EV-DO Rev. A and Rev. B (800, 1900, 2100 MHz)

T-Mobile says "GSM-capable phones that support Band II (1900 MHz) or IV (1700/2100 MHz) are compatible with T-Mobile's network".

*I do agree that older CDMA only phones won't work on other carrier networks, but that's just not the case with newer phones anymore.

Originally Posted By: sxg6

From the verizon link I posted above.
Network: UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz) GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz) CDMA EV-DO Rev. A and Rev. B (800, 1900, 2100 MHz)

T-Mobile says "GSM-capable phones that support Band II (1900 MHz) or IV (1700/2100 MHz) are compatible with T-Mobile's network".

*I do agree that older CDMA only phones won't work on other carrier networks, but that's just not the case with newer phones anymore.

But they wont work fully since it doesnt support all the bands.

Some phones do.. like nexus 5x 6p, they have all bands for both carrier system types even including band 12 for t mobile.

While you may get all features in town.. then drive 50miles to somewhere else and have no signal.
OTOH it could be every tower within 300miles uses the band you have available.. you just dont know.

For example if you took that phone to AT&T which has
Quote:

AT&T 4G HSPA and HSPA+ use 850Mhz(Band 5) and 1900Mhz(Band 2) bands but it all depends on area if they own a license. LTE uses Band 17(700Mhz), Band 5(850Mhz), Band 2(1900Mhz), Band 4(1700/2100Mhz) currently.

You can see where you could have holes in coverage depending on the towers..

here is an article that is a little more in depth and explains bands and how they are deployed.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Cheat-she...the-USA_id77933

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I disliked how extremely controlled the OS. I'm sure others like not having the freedoms of Android as that is much more to worry about.

If you don't know the differences in types of phone systems in the USA, Im somewhat concerned that you don't know when you're being harmed with the wonderful freedoms present in Android. ATT/TM and Sprint/VZ use different types of systems, and its clear that they aren't compatible with just a little research.

Regardless, enjoy the phone, 4 years is a long time to keep one in the world of ever improving tech...

Yeah I didn't know about the different types of phone systems, I didn't realize I had to know this except for this one issue that is an outlier...

Obviously it is clear with a little research, and it's just as obvious that I did do research because I explained in my post that I did. So it's kind of a pointless statement "and its clear they aren't compatible with just a little research". I don't know if you are skimming or just completely not reading the posts fully because I don't understand why you would even mention researching something when I said I did.

What does "...I'm somewhat concerned that you don't know when you're being harmed with the wonderful freedoms present with Android" even mean? I need an explanation because when I read this, the first thing that comes to my mind is that this is a blanket statement, a slippery slope fallacy that:

1.) I know nothing about security because I didn't know what the two different phone systems were - which I hope all my years at college dealing with tools that people have never even heard of, including security tools and my field would have me prepared for that. Regardless it doesn't take someone with knowledge in said field to have the common knowledge to not go places you shouldn't go and don't download things that even seem questionable.

2.) Since Android has less restrictions I will most certainly "... you don't know when you're being harmed" get something malicious. Do you know me or my intentions? I don't think you do. I'm not here to prove/disprove my knowledge of anything, certainly I didn't prioritize knowing carrier settings and those kind of phone related systems, but blanket statements implying I will get ("when you're being harmed") such things is rather pointless; given the lack of information you know about me as an individual.

Maybe my assumptions are completely wrong in what you meant by that, but that is the problem with text and why I like when people provide an explanation behind their statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back