Switched to Android and never been happier

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've been wanting to switch to Android for the longest time. My first smart phone was in 2012/2013 of the iphone5. So i've had it for 4 years. I was so tired iOS and the way it looks and feels and I disliked how extremely controlled the OS. I'm sure others like not having the freedoms of Android as that is much more to worry about.

So I was originally under Sprint when I got the iphone5. Behold when Sprint told me that my phone was unlocked T-Mobile still couldn't do anything with the phone. Again after talking to them for quite awhile they finally gave up the unlock code but said nothing on what to do with it, that the other carriers will know what to do with it.

I research online and actually found out that the iphone5 under Sprint cannot be unlocked for Domestic use, just Internationally. So that unlock code was worth nothing to me and I haven't been the first person to be screwed over by Sprint.

So I had to choose a new phone and went with the LG V10. 4GB RAM, Hexa-Core CPU with 64GB storage so it's a decent machine, as expected since it's LG's flagship phone. So far I'm loving the android look and I will say that the same apps that are on iphone that are also on android; the android version of those apps have a wayyyyyy better look than the ios. Maybe it's because I've been used to that iOS screen ever since around the first iPod touch but that look has grown Apple old. I'm surprised there's still people who want those phones.

I could not be happier. The iphone5 served me well and was on its way out. The battery was just old and worn out over the 4 years. If the battery was below 40% and I would be facetiming or using snapchat, it could just magically turn off or jump to 1%. Until I plugged it back in and it would rejump or reload to show the battery is at 39%. It was a solid phone, but I needed a new look and so far, android has won me.

We'll see if that continues.

:]

Welcome to the Android club. I had a 30gb iPod years ago and I hated that you need to use Itunes for putting music on it.

When IPhones came to market, I said no way.

I've had both. Started with Android 2.1. Android was kind of flaky back in the day, and I got tired of the constant stalls, jams, locks, and battery pulls to restart the phone. Went to an iPhone 4S with iOS 5 or 6 at the time. I really liked the stability of the phone. After a while, the lack of ability to set my default apps really bothered me. I wanted to use Gmail for email, but you can't set it to use Gmail as the default app. When you tapped on an email address, it would open it in Mail. Same with web links and Safari -- I couldn't set it to Chrome as default. I found that I had to adjust myself to the phone, rather than adjusting the phone for me.

So, I went back to Android a number of years ago (v4.4.4) and just recently bought a contract-free Moto G4 with 6.0.1. I've been enjoying Android again -- it's a first class mobile OS that's every bit as stable as iOS, and far more controllable by the user.

I'm happy to not have a "Junk" apps folder anymore, like every iOS user has, because Apple won't let you remove or disable core apps.

Originally Posted By: JeepWJ19
S...

So I was originally under Sprint when I got the iphone5. Behold when Sprint told me that my phone was unlocked T-Mobile still couldn't do anything with the phone. Again after talking to them for quite awhile they finally gave up the unlock code but said nothing on what to do with it, that the other carriers will know what to do with it.

I research online and actually found out that the iphone5 under Sprint cannot be unlocked for Domestic use, just Internationally. So that unlock code was worth nothing to me and I haven't been the first person to be screwed over by Sprint.

We'll see if that continues.

:]

Glad your happy with your new phone but something in your post is not making sense.
T-Mobile (and ATT) phones are GSM phones, Sprint and Verizon are CDMA phones and not compatible with each others network.

SO I am unsure why a Tmobile employee would be trying to unlock a CDMA sprint phone as it is not comparable on Tmobile system.

BTW - my work place gives me a Verizon Iphone, I hate it, prefer my personal ATT Windows phone more, Im also good with Android, wife and daughter use it. There are some dual band phones out there but dont think yours was one of them?

Last edited:
Been with Android since it first hit the market. I've always been happy with Google's OS and have never been interested in Apple due to lack of customization. IMO, Android is the way to go for phones (tablets are a different story.) You just have to make sure you get a quality phone and not a cheap paperweight. The LG G series of phones have served me well the past few years. Currently rocking out with he G4 and have no plans to upgrade.

My work phone is Apple, and I very very early on got annoyed with software updates on the laptop wiping the phone and other fun...update the work laptop, and one of the 5 allowed connected devices gets sucked up...and the eliitist "won't even connect to android devices" via bluetooth was annoying also.

Family phones all Android. All bought outright. All with monthly pre-paid sims.

Can use them as a USB and all sorts of stuff that Apple thinks it needs to control/own.

Latest phone(s) come pre-installed with MS Office sucking up phone space, but you can deal with that (3-4 times before the phone gets the message).

Have an LG39 for last couple of years; like the option of putting in SD cards. That is the one thing I really dislike about my iPad mini, no memory expansion. Otherwise, I'm not sure I care for one over the other. I put on 2-3 apps onto each and have been about fine with that. The Apple store is nice, wife signed me on and I was able to get the Suduko game that she likes very easily.

Just had my iPad lose some notes, been very unhappy about that. I don't back it up, it's never been connected to a PC, so I'm rather dismayed that it can't retain files properly. It would be nice to put all "important" files onto the SD card, and just make copies of that; but nope.

With free WiFi popping up all over, I might go back to a dumb phone next time, preferably with a keypad--I don't send many texts, but I'm getting tired of typing with my thumbs. Also having to recharge every 3-4 days is starting to get old.

The issue with Android is that there are junky phones and some Android phones come with a bad skin added to the OS. Plus the phone manufacture and/or the carrier can control updates. The update process is my biggest gripe about Android. You can have a horrible experience using Android or a good one depending on what phone you have.

Still using my Samsung flip phone and love it.

I've always been a happy Android user, but I must say the iPhone 6S the job gave me in place of the Blackberries we always used is a really nice device for a lot of reasons.

That said, I'm no power user, so if either platform has shortcomings, I probably would not run into them.

They're both screwdrivers- just tools.They both have their advantages and disadvantages (Android has more openness, but on the latest iOS works just great on an iPhone 5.... how well does the latest Android run on a Galaxy 3?).

The tmobile employee wasn't trying to unlock it. I was trying to.

I said I would like to keep my iphone so I don't have to pay for a new phone. They said it was unlocked. To to mobile store the employee inserted the SIM card and boom, phone is still locked.

Call them again they gave me an unlock code and said mobile would know what to do with it. The employee said they didn't know what to do with it and again the phone was locked when tried the new sim. Go back home and use my google-foo and see a bunch of people with the same problem and behold they had to get a new phone.

And that was my result as well

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
The issue with Android is that there are junky phones and some Android phones come with a bad skin added to the OS. Plus the phone manufacture and/or the carrier can control updates. The update process is my biggest gripe about Android. You can have a horrible experience using Android or a good one depending on what phone you have.

Yeah I've known about the carriers controlling the update process. I just upgraded my LG V10 from 5.1.1 Lollipop to Marshmellow 6.0 and seem to not be having issues like others have been having with it or have reported with it back in April-June. Maybe T-Mobile fixed something but a lot of people are complaining that they want 6.0.1 and it's whatever. Not a big issue for me.

As for the process, I'm hoping I have no trouble updating, but I don't think anything can be as bad as what the android users with cyanogenmod had when Sprint had a carrier update (forget the specifics but my friend had a bear of a time getting his phone back to working properly).

Glad you are happy. Wonderful there is choice.

I like all the phone systems for various reasons but choose Apple because the apps i use for work are far better on iOS then Android. It's really too bad but it seems iOS gets focus on app dev and then Android after. Even google is guilty of this.

Originally Posted By: alarmguy
T-Mobile (and ATT) phones are GSM phones, Sprint and Verizon are CDMA phones and not compatible with each others network.

I've been in this paradigm for a long time myself. I noticed that certain Nexus phones used for Google's "Project Fi" could operate across the two different protocols. The phone I just bought, Motorola Moto G Play, is unlocked and works on both GSM and CDMA networks. Pretty cool, right?

I just wished it did what my cheap Windows Phone did and automatically switch to voice texting when connected to Bluetooth. I can't even seem to find an app to do that properly on Android. Good thing it's not a deal breaker for me. It was a cool feature of WP, though.

Dumped the computor for a Samsung Galaxy tablet 2 years ago and haven't looked back.

So much so the wife dumped her Ipad (which now just streams music for the radio) for another tablet.

Total price for the two, under $500can

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back