Swepco 306 Supreme Formula 15w40 VOA

This is a VOA for Swepco 306 Supreme Formula 15w40 HDEO. This oil is marketed for on road diesel and gasoline engines built 2007 and earlier, and off road diesel engines built 2010 and earlier. This oil also has a following with classic Porsche enthusiasts.

I'm considering having a second sample done from a different bottle. My research has concluded this oil is supposed to have zinc and phosphorus levels in the 1400-1500 range and 1100-1200 range, respectively. For reference, Speed Diagnostics performed a VOA of this oil in 2020, which showed those levels. Boron is also lower. Molybdenum and calcium are on par with the SD VOA. I will link that voa for comparison.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220303-161701~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20220303-161701~2.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 278

Here's the Speed Diagnostics VOA. I will note SD seems to have a habit of listing zinc and phosphorus backwards. I believe the zinc should be 1500, and the phosphorus 1265...

I talked to a fellow named Brian from Blackstone via email, and asked him about the variation in the zinc, phosphorus and boron concentrations. He said that while they've not tested many samples of this oil, the concentrations of all the additives in my sample are on par with the ones they've tested. He also mentioned that the differences in their lab equipment vs another lab's equipment could be showing a variation between the SD VOA and Blackstones. So it is possible that this same sample might show different additive concentrations at another lab, but overall I'm confident in Blackstones findings. I've certainly not been persuaded to discontinue use of this oil, as it seems to be a well blended old school HDEO, and I also don't know what additives might be in the oil that aren't picked up by VOA.

I've ordered an Amsoil analysis kit and will be sending in another sample of this oil. I don't feel the Blackstone analysis is correct. We'll see.

Here are the results of Swepco 306 Supreme Formula 15w40 as analyzed by Oil Analyzers. This sample was taken from a different bottle than the Blackstone sample, so admittedly there are two variables that differ between the two samples: different lab and different bottle. However, I do believe the Blackstone sample is incorrect on the zinc and phosphorus levels. The zinc, phosphorus, and calcium are much, much higher in this sample. Boron and molybdenum levels are similar to that of the Blackstone sample. One thing I don't understand is why they flagged the zinc, calcium and molybdenum levels as uncommon and why the sample is considered "critical"? Can anyone shed some light on that?

I can attest that the additive levels in this sample are more in line with the speed diagnostics sample. To me it looks like an incredibly stout oil, which should be good for cleaning and for high performance engines. It's running incredibly smooth in my 5.3 Vortec in my 04 Silverado.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220407-182723.jpg
    Screenshot_20220407-182723.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 98
any information about Swepco proprietary anti wear called Dimonyl?

All it says is that it's proprietary. Hard to get more than that.

Perhaps they should work more on getting licenses for their oils so potential customers would have verifiable performance criteria.

any information about Swepco proprietary anti wear called Dimonyl?
I don't have any information on it, sorry.
All it says is that it's proprietary. Hard to get more than that.

Perhaps they should work more on getting licenses for their oils so potential customers would have verifiable performance criteria.
Any licenses this particular product would qualify for would be obsolete anyway, so why would they bother? They don't recommend it for anything built after 2007, so obtaining approvals and licenses would only make it cost more.

Any licenses this particular product would qualify for would be obsolete anyway, so why would they bother? They don't recommend it for anything built after 2007, so obtaining approvals and licenses would only make it cost more.
Because otherwise you’re left with reading the tea leaves of a typical-properties PDS to try and forecast performance.

Because otherwise you’re left with reading the tea leaves of a typical-properties PDS to try and forecast performance.
Whether a product carries approvals or not, are you not still just taking someone else's word for it when it comes to performance? I don't know the folks at Swepco any better than I know the folks at the API. I just know I like this particular Swepco product. It'll prove itself in time, approvals or not.

I was tempted at some point with "new" glossary like Dimonyl, Lubium or any other from other lubricants 😀

I was tempted at some point with "new" glossary like Dimonyl, Lubium or any other from other lubricants 😀
I imagine dimonyl is ~probably~ some form of molybdenum concentration. It's a good anti friction additive. Then again, it could be their concentrations of zddp and molybdenum together. I don't really know. If you are only buying the oil supplement, it certainly wouldn't hurt anything, might help. I'd spring for the fully formulated 306 oil though. As you can see from the voa, it's got all the goodies already in it. I'm going to run this oil in my 283 once it's built and broken in.

Back