Swapping Jetta update...

Many of you know about our situation, you can read the previous thread if not.

VW has agreed to give us 15% trade assistance off MSRP on a new Jetta to replace our current one with a paint defect on the roof that we bought 3 months ago. I am in talks with our dealer and they are willing to take $5000 off MSRP on an SE model (step up from our current S). The thing is, they are giving me that $5000 off price on said white SE model, a color neither my wife are I are wanting.

The salesman I am working with doesn't seem doesn't seem to think they would do that price on another color (Platinum Gray or Pyrite Silver are the only other two color options they have available that we would be interested in).

We are torn because we would like the all the SE features that we don't have now (with the exception of the simi-panoramic sunroof) I wish that were only an option on the SE. New features would include leatherette seats (love them), SIRIUS XM, heated seats, keyless entry and push to start, dual zone climate control among others.

If it comes down to white only, I don't know that we would want to trade into it. Our payment would only go up the equivalent of a fast food meal per month.

Am I crazy? (YES!), what would you do?

Here is the exact one they would give $5000 off on...

That's a nice car-even if it's white and it would be a real bargain with what VW is offering you. I would do it based on the price alone.

Last edited:
I'd do it.

Of course I bought a white one anyway...

Why they won't do on another one? Is it because they have 4 or 5 white ones?

i'm afraid you won't be happy again

so i'd keep the old one, and take it to the ground

Did they offer to pay for a repaint?
Sorry new to the thread.
They would since it's under warranty, thats the issue though. We don't want the whole roof repainted and blended on a brand new car.

They would since it's under warranty, thats the issue though. We don't want the whole roof repainted and blended on a brand new car.
I'm sorry, but a discount on a new car in a color you don't want vs. a repaint of the roof, the one panel that can really be "off" and not notice it? I'd keep what you have.

Of the new features you mentioned, the only one that really jumps out is the leatherette seats with heat. So get a Katzkin interior with heaters installed. $1k and you've got better quality leather and heat. XM? Just install an aftermarket head unit. Keyless? Easily added.

Make what you have yours. That's what I say.

I'm sorry, but a discount on a new car in a color you don't want vs. a repaint of the roof, the one panel that can really be "off" and not notice it? I'd keep what you have.

Of the new features you mentioned, the only one that really jumps out is the leatherette seats with heat. So get a Katzkin interior with heaters installed. $1k and you've got better quality leather and heat. XM? Just install an aftermarket head unit. Keyless? Easily added.

Make what you have yours. That's what I say.
This would certainly cost much more and not look OEM.

Is SE like WT on a Chevy truck? It looks like it. That "leatherette" (vinyl) looks straight up work truck and it even has the solid white paint to match.

I'd learn to live with the thing in the otherwise nice looking blue paint on the current car before getting the Jetta W/T.

Is SE like WT on a Chevy truck? It looks like it. That "leatherette" (vinyl) looks straight up work truck and it even has the solid white paint to match.

I'd learn to live with the thing in the otherwise nice looking blue paint on the current car before getting the Jetta W/T.

VW's V-Tex leatherette is very nice and quite durable. Worlds better than "vinyl" on a work truck.

Where I live white is a PITA because it will show dirt and gets dirty enough to show it quickly, and you end up washing it way too often.

But in Florida, isn't white a preferred color because white cars do not get as hot when they are sitting in the sun, and therefore take less time to cool off when you get in them on hot days? And because of that aren't they a wise choice of color for any vehicle in Florida?

I though the general rule of thumb was that if you live in a hot sunshine state like Florida, Texas, or Arizona, only buy a white vehicle. I know that in those states you certainly don't want a dark color vehicle.

Though I would steer clear of any Honda in white because apparently that is a color that Honda can not get to stick to the primer well enough to stay attached.

I think it looks really sharp in white. But I think taking a color you’re not a huge fan of in exchange for some options you do want is a worthwhile trade off.

aren't those WVs go for 5K off plus anyways???? it still blows my mind how much people are willing to take on additional stress over such a negligible thing.....jeeeez, that's crazy

I think it looks really sharp in white. But I think taking a color you’re not a huge fan of in exchange for some options you do want is a worthwhile trade off.
Yep. The only thing that bothers me about the SE model is the sunroof. I worry about leaks and exploding sunroofs. Maybe the scale of those issues is very small. I wish we could just find another base S model with driver assistance but no luck. All the 2020 models have sold.

Back