Surprised at the gun lube prices...

For low-viscosity areas, I use Break-Free CLP. For grease I've moved on from Tetra to Lubriplate SFL-1.

I've often wondered if Cal's Reel Grease (tan) is an option for firearms.

Lubes are sometimes expensive but a little goes such a long way. Unless you have to maintain an armory.

Last edited:
Gear lube does not have the correct EP/antiwear additives for firearms.
Have firearms or their use changed enough over the decades to require EP/AW adds? As recently as... What? The 40s or 50s, whale oil was the gold standard, right? What adds did it have if any? Just curious.

I have used only mobil 1 15w50 as gun lube for over 30 years. Its fantastic. The price is great but i use it because its the best. Don't know what else is better but i have not seen it. I have used superlube that i buy at harbor freight.. but it used to be pretty expensive for warm weather use if i am just going to shoot 100 rounds or so. A very light coat.

Mobil 1 is fantastic oil at extreme temps. I bought a new s&w blue auto and using mobil 1 it took almost 1000 rounds to see any wear on the rails of the slide or the barrel. Thats impressive.

Gun lubes went up? I didn’t notice since I’m using the same quart(probably .7-.5 qt I’m sure it was a leftover from the shop)of Mobil 1 0w20 I started using in like 2008. Around that time my dad went through a Smith and Wesson armorers class and a course on their M&P 15, since the dept he was a firearms instructor for was switching over from Glocks and Remington 700’s to S&W’s. The instructor told them just using a good synthetic motor oil anyplace that needed oiled is more than adequate and just a very small bit of grease in certain high friction areas.

I’ve been following that advice since and it’s worked well for my usage.
Found this out on glocktalk over 20 years ago and its absolutely true.

Motor oil. If it's good enough for $50,000 engines running 8,000 RPMs during races for millions of dollar purses, and relied on for operating temps sub zero to hundreds of degrees, it's good enough for a $1000 pistol or rifle. The motor oil industry spends billions of dollars on R&D. The gun oil industry is some dude in his garage mixing chemicals in a high school chemistry lab and beaker set.
You are correct. The speed a gun operates at and the temps are very easy for any good car oil

Tell my Wilson combat 1911 that. Gear oil works great for break in on 1911 slides. I like 1911s.
I don't usually talk to my guns unless I am preparing for a Gopher shoot.:D
Caddy Shack Rifle.jpg

Last edited:
Tell my Wilson combat 1911 that. Gear oil works great for break in on 1911 slides. I like 1911s.
So, you believe in talking guns?

Talking guns that know more than people who formulate oil for a living?

If I paid $3,000 for a pistol, I would listen to the person who made it, not the gun itself.

What’s Bill Wilson suggest for lubricating one of his pistols?

I just use scraps of leftover motor oil. I've heard it's better to use thicker since you get a thicker coating to help with rusting. But i hardly use my gun in humid environments or a lot anyway so rust isn't an issue for me in rust free Texas. I use whatever I have which is usually 40 grade.

I use Hoppe's 9 for cleaning and 3 in 1 oil for lubrication. A can of 3 in 1 is cheap and lasts me for years. I'm sure a drop or two of good ole 10w40 would work too.

I have a Springfield Tactical that I bought used in 2008 I shoot 2 to 3,000 rounds per year. I prefer a 1911 . I use ATF or motor oil to lube it and clean it when it begins to not feed ammo. A clean gun is a happy gun but I want to see how long the pistol lasts.

So, you believe in talking guns?

Talking guns that know more than people who formulate oil for a living?

If I paid $3,000 for a pistol, I would listen to the person who made it, not the gun itself.

What’s Bill Wilson suggest for lubricating one of his pistols?

I talk to my wife as well. My 1911s are happy.

I herd once upon a time they would take the dip sticks out of the trucks and use that oil as lubricant lacking anything else.. Nothing special is needed to clean/relube. maybe a little elbow grease and a few drops of engine oil, would still work fine today

Last edited:
This guy is a gunsmith, he posts on youtube and his videos are exceptional. I especially
like when he obliterates the high end expensive brands as shoddy machined products
but take a look at his AR lubrication routine..whoa.

I all was understood less is more in your rifle? whoa...this is swimming in greases.

Back