Gun oil?

Just recently getting back, into pistol shooting at the range, I used to always use Hoppes # 9 I had to stop because of the smell got to me with my asthma. So I started using Hoppe's elite gun cleaner. Oil-wise I have been using g96 gun treatment I use the spray on a rag for the outside, and I use g96 oil as a lube for the inside.. haven't had any problems. Just wondering what other people are using.. my guns have sat for 3 years not touched. With no rust..

Ballistol on the exterior and bore after cleaning, where oil is required Pennzoil synthetic left over from my my truck oil change. Whatever grease is in my grease gun for my M1 garand, any other grease required gets NECO Moly-Slide. Break Free CLP for my AR. Kano Kroil when a penetrating oil is needed. Home made Eds Red for bore cleaning. Sweets 7.62 for copper removal.

FE837AD2-F201-4634-99F6-AEBB5063DF53.jpeg

I used BreakFree CLP for many years and still have a bottle or 2 around but recently switched over to Clenzoil because of some lubricity tests I have seen. On guns with slides I use a light grease with a small artist brush to apply in slide grooves. On the outside I just use an oily rag I keep around for wiping finger prints off before they go in the safe.

Just recently getting back, into pistol shooting at the range, I used to always use Hoppes # 9 I had to stop because of the smell got to me with my asthma. So I started using Hoppe's elite gun cleaner. Oil-wise I have been using g96 gun treatment I use the spray on a rag for the outside, and I use g96 oil as a lube for the inside.. haven't had any problems. Just wondering what other people are using.. my guns have sat for 3 years not touched. With no rust..
These days mostly G96 Synthetic CLP or Hoppes #9, along with some use of Lucas Extreme Duty Gun oil on occasion. I've tried several other products over the years.

I've got some FP10 I expect to be using soon.

Last edited:
I've got some FP10 I expect to be using soon.
Years ago when that stuff first came out, the owner was on whatever forum I was on giving away samples, I don't recall if I ever even tried it or not..

There are a lot of threads on this, just do a little searching. G96 is good stuff. I like ballistol on surfaces that I touch, since it’s non-toxic.

Last edited:
Outers Nitro Gun Cleaning Solvent (will most likely switch to CRC brake cleaner, green can, when Outers is empty)
Remington Brite Bore (copper remover)
motor oil
worked for me for past 15 years....

Back