Surprised at the gun lube prices...

Quick stroll through ebay see G96 is like $29 for 12oz!....what are people using now?, I'm almost out and need to restock.

Motor oil. If it's good enough for $50,000 engines running 8,000 RPMs during races for millions of dollar purses, and relied on for operating temps sub zero to hundreds of degrees, it's good enough for a $1000 pistol or rifle. The motor oil industry spends billions of dollars on R&D. The gun oil industry is some dude in his garage mixing chemicals in a high school chemistry lab and beaker set.

get my grandpa's old oil can with the little kinker thing on the bottom and compressed air....actually a aerosol is preferred but the stupid monies they get.

I live in the Nicolet Forest, 25yrs ago decided to hang my Remington 522-T w/Bosch & Lomb (extra nice bolt action rifle) in the garage year round, lot of freeze thaw action..it's been there since the early 90's just spray it down with Farm/Fleet $1.99 silicone, never bore brush or solvent..it works perfect and looks good so I wonder what's all the fuss?...But this new M&P .22 Compact is going to get the red carpet.

Quick stroll through ebay see G96 is like $29 for 12oz!....what are people using now?, I'm almost out and need to restock.

There are probably 500 different gun oils for sale and people are using all of them. How long will 12 oz last you? If it's your favorite product sometimes you just have to suck it up and buy it and shoot.

Motor oil. If it's good enough for $50,000 engines running 8,000 RPMs during races for millions of dollar purses, and relied on for operating temps sub zero to hundreds of degrees, it's good enough for a $1000 pistol or rifle. The motor oil industry spends billions of dollars on R&D. The gun oil industry is some dude in his garage mixing chemicals in a high school chemistry lab and beaker set.
While some gun lube is snake oil, some gun lube is, in fact, tailored to those radically different operating conditions.

I choose the better product for my guns.

AMSOIL hasn‘t raised their prices.

HPL hasn’t, either.

Two fine choices in gun oil.

For gun cleaning, I prefer specific products like M Pro 7 cleaner and copper remover.
For lubrication, I see no reason to use the gun specific products so I use regular old grease (Schaeffer's 221 #2) or oil (motor oil, or chainsaw bar & chain oil when I need a thicker oil with a tackifier agent).

Gun lubes went up? I didn’t notice since I’m using the same quart(probably .7-.5 qt I’m sure it was a leftover from the shop)of Mobil 1 0w20 I started using in like 2008. Around that time my dad went through a Smith and Wesson armorers class and a course on their M&P 15, since the dept he was a firearms instructor for was switching over from Glocks and Remington 700’s to S&W’s. The instructor told them just using a good synthetic motor oil anyplace that needed oiled is more than adequate and just a very small bit of grease in certain high friction areas.

I’ve been following that advice since and it’s worked well for my usage.

My new pistol S&W M&P 22 Compact has white lettering on the black aluminum slide and a plastic frame of some sort ...anyone think I might get away with a spray can of automotive parts cleaner? ...between that and the motor oil would solve the stupid $8 an ounce gun specific treatments.

My new pistol S&W M&P 22 Compact has white lettering on the black aluminum slide and a plastic frame of some sort ...anyone think I might get away with a spray can of automotive parts cleaner? ...between that and the motor oil would solve the stupid $8 an ounce gun specific treatments.
Really depends on the cleaner. I've found Penray 4520 brake clean to be a comparatively cheap, safe and effective cleaner for many things. I've used it on everything from my guns (am careful not to get it on delicate wood finishes) to bike chains and sprockets and most things auto related with no concern of finish damage. Of course your mileage my vary... Try at your own risk. Others like O'Reilly branded brake cleaner (red/black/yellow can) is death to paints, rubber and some plastics. Wicked stuff! Great carb cleaner though. Funny story about the O'Reilly cleaner - my wife mistakenly grabbed it instead of the other stuff to clean the chain and cassette on her bike that I custom built/painted... Ended up blitzing the clear coat and paint right off of it on one of the chain stays!

Motor oil for lube ftw
After reading about another member's observations using non detergent 30 grade oil, I thought I'd give it a try. Just so happened we had an open quart at our shop, so I've got that in a 1oz bottle with a needle applicator

Back