Surprised at the gun lube prices...

Just for the record, I gave my brother Hoppe’s #9 air fresheners for his truck.

He and I both agree, the smell of Hoppe’s brings back good memories. I’ll always like that smell!
That seems going a tad far. I’m surprised the dope mules we were always after never thought to use that to hide the stink of their marijuana. There’s few things that hold the aroma as long as something fibrous soaked in 🙊Hoppes.

That seems going a tad far. I’m surprised the dope mules we were always after never thought to use that to hide the stink of their marijuana. There’s few things that hold the aroma as long as something fibrous soaked in 🙊Hoppes.
Yeah.. Using Hoppes bore cleaner is a "garage only" event for me these days and I like keep the garage door slightly open for ventilation :)

Automatic Trans Fluid for the bore, Reel-X lube for everything else. Yep, the same krap you use on fishing reels. Has more adds than Extreme Weapons Lubricant

Automatic Trans Fluid for the bore, Reel-X lube for everything else. Yep, the same krap you use on fishing reels. Has more adds than Extreme Weapons Lubricant
Isn't reel x the same as corrosion x? Another member here speaks highly of it..

Eric: ReelX is indeed made by the same company as Corrosion X. I called the company. The Reel X has more additives to prevent breakdowns related to heat from friction. Yeah, the guy who speaks highly of it is speaking the truth. I paid a whopping $7 for a bottle of Reel X, and it looks like it's gonna last forever. Maybe longer than me.

CorrosionX is a truly great product. I’ve got a couple bottles.

Nothing works better at preventing (you guessed it) corrosion. I’ve got a few guns that are used often. They get whatever gun lube is handy; AMSOIL, HPL, Wilson.

But for the ones that are taken out infrequently, they get cleaned and wiped down with CorrosionX.

I’ve said this before, but I think it’s important: Gun lubes are formulated differently than motor oil or ATF. They’re tailored to the requirements of a gun, which are very different than the internals of engines or transmissions.

So, while snake oils abound in the firearm lubricant market, I stick with dedicated gun products. A couple of drops on each firearm means that a 4 oz bottle lasts years, even for a frequent shooter.

They’re cheap compared with the cost of the guns I own.

ATF, Gear oil. Some vehicle greases. MOST All have a stink. No thanks. Yes I can smell it on you and when you open your safe. Sulfur/lube bomb. Lube is easy. Not stinking when concealed carry is difficult for some.

Last edited:
ATF, Gear oil. Some vehicle greases. MOST All have a stink. No thanks. Yes I can smell it on you and when you open your safe. Sulfur/lube bomb. Lube is easy. Not stinking when concealed carry is difficult for some.
This. Check the odor when considering a new gun lube or any other chemical you might use on a gun if you carry concealed. Bad guys probably know what those gun chemicals smell like too.

I"ll stick with ATF, thank you. Ever see a dirty or rusty trans after it was taken apart? I never did. You know how EVERYTHING you read on the 'net is true? Don't use Hoppes gun oil. It's evil and will rot your brain. :D

Last edited:
I"ll stick with ATF, thank you. Ever see a dirty or rusty trans after it was taken apart? I never did.
Oh, please.

Transmissions don’t have a ton of carbon and other contaminants injected into the lubricant via piston ring blow by.

That’s why they’re so clean.

Ascribing magical cleaning properties to ATF as a result of an overly simplistic (and patently false) observation that fails to take that into account is the basis of quite a few myths in this, and other, forums.

Use what you want on your guns, guns aren’t picky.

But don’t fool yourself into thinking ATF is anything special.

All you NEED is motor oil to lube your guns, and that can be had cheap.
My Turkish M1911 Commander didnt run right until I lubed the rails liberally with M1 0W40. Truth.

It is new and wearing in.

Was prior using CLP and Militec-1 ( napthenic oil and stearic acid )

After wear in it will likely just require common lubes.

Quick stroll through ebay see G96 is like $29 for 12oz!....what are people using now?, I'm almost out and need to restock.
I believe G96 prices their products (which are all CLP type) a little higher because of the the expense they bore to get a mil spec qualification. Plus I believe that because the CLP products are both a cleaner and oil, your saved from purchasing expense of a stand lone powder solvent cleaner.

I do use the G96 CLP the green label bottle Synthetic Bio-CLP Gun Oil. I am still testing this product to see if it will turn gummy in a month or two.

I also use a stand alone powder fouling cleaner to start the cleaning process M-Pro 7 Cleaner then another (any other) Solvent based cleaner. I found using 2 different types of cleaner worked better, when the patches come out clean I switch to the solvent cleaner and I’l see the patches come out black again.
After drying off the solvent cleaner the CLP is applied for storage.

Motor oil. If it's good enough for $50,000 engines running 8,000 RPMs during races for millions of dollar purses, and relied on for operating temps sub zero to hundreds of degrees, it's good enough for a $1000 pistol or rifle. The motor oil industry spends billions of dollars on R&D. The gun oil industry is some dude in his garage mixing chemicals in a high school chemistry lab and beaker set.
Wrong and uninformed as usual.

My CLP (named "Purple Problem Solver") had 11 different chemical compounds including an EP component and rust inhibitors.

Last edited:
My Turkish M1911 Commander didnt run right until I lubed the rails liberally with M1 0W40. Truth.

It is new and wearing in.

Was prior using CLP and Militec-1 ( napthenic oil and stearic acid )

After wear in it will likely just require common lubes.
GL5 gear lube is the ultimate for running in a 1911 slide. Thicker oil film and EP additives

Back