SUPPOSE TO USE 5W20 BUT HAVE TO MIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2004 exp 2 valve and cannot get myself to use straight 5w20. I mix 2qts 5w30 amsoil with 4qts 5w20 havoline feels better to me and definetly is much quieter,I have not done an uoa on this mix. Please chime in if you do the same. Thanks for your responce, I know I am not alone.

Quote:

FWIW I'm adding 1qt of GC to the Syntec 5w20 fill for my wife's Miata just to add a little oomph to the mix.

Same mix in my 06 Elantra
banana.gif

I basically do the same with my 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi v8. Except, I use 5 qts M1 5W20 + 2 qts M1 5W30 Truck SUV. My 1st UOA after my run with Royal Purple was excellent and substantially improved in Cu wear. In the summer, I'm considering 6 qts M1 5W20 + 1 M1 5W40 Truck Turbo Diesel, aka, Delo 1.

Roger...

Not using 5W-20 where its recommended is the most absurd fear IMO. By in large the 5W-20 are better engineered that 5W-30's, and 10W-30's. BTW must 5W-30 shear to a 20 WT any why. So your going to use the same weight oil with a least robust add pack and feel better?

I almost always use 30 weights in my Honda b/c they are the ones always on sale! The first 60k of its life saw nothing but M1 0W20 and 5W30 (when I couldn't find any 20 weight) so I'm not to terribly worried.

I just started using 4 quarts of PP 5w-20 with 2.5 quarts of PP 10w-30. I love the way my truck drives now. It even quieted my Dodge 4.7's lifters. During the summer I am going to use 4 quarts of PP 10w-30 and 2.5 quarts of PP 5w-20. I'll let you know how that side works out. I have confidence it should be great. I saw the new 5w-30 M1 T&S at Wally's but I decided not to get it due to the price. I may reconsider that as I do like the T&S.
cheers.gif

Yeah, I bought a case of the 5W20 GroupIII PP to mix with my 10W30 GroupV from the Home Depot sales..

I hate to pollute the GroupV with GroupIII, but I'll live..
laugh.gif

By the way, gents, they're selling that 5W20PP two-for-one, you know. GroupIII syn at dino prices you shouldn't pass up!
cheers.gif

This may be the golden age revisited..

Went to my Home Depot....they didn't get the memo. They HAD a sale back when you first got your deal (I got some cheap 10W40 HM) but now they are stocking Rotella and yellow bottle Pennszoil at silly high prices again.

Quote:

By the way, gents, they're selling that 5W20PP two-for-one, you know. GroupIII syn at dino prices you shouldn't pass up!
cheers.gif

This may be the golden age revisited..

YES! & this is the craziest deal yet:
qt

Ya, I have a fear of straight 5w-20, I add one and a half quarts of delvac 15w40 to my MC 5w20.

Quote:

Not using 5W-20 where its recommended is the most absurd fear IMO. By in large the 5W-20 are better engineered that 5W-30's, and 10W-30's. BTW must 5W-30 shear to a 20 WT any why. So your going to use the same weight oil with a least robust add pack and feel better?

Yes but...Most of the people in this thread aren't adding "By And Large" brand xW-30. The are adding Amsoil, GC, M1, etc.

Heck I have been putting in 5W-20 in those 5.4L 2V or 3V motors and watch them go 150,000+ miles without incident over and over. Want a quieter ride, if you continental tires switch to Michelin or Goodyear and be happy. Motor does not make near as much as those tires at 65MPH.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back