Supertech ST3505 vs ST3506

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just at my local Wally World to get a oil filter for my 2003 Silverado and was surprised to find Supertech filters back on the shelf. It has been a year or so since they have had any. In the meantime, I was using Purolator filters and they are now missing from the shelf. I think these are both good brands, so I reached for the ST3506 that I always used to use and found none. Checked the catalog and found it called for a ST3505. Looked it over and found the color is now white (not black like before), the construction looked good with the correct threads, size of gasket looked right, and it was not an E-core. It also had Made In USA on the box. Questions:
- Does anyone know if Purolator is now supplying Supertech's?
- What might the new number, ST3505 signify?

Thanks, Gerald

welcome2.gif

The new SuperTech filters are made by Wix. The same as Napa Silver and Proselect, and O'Reilly's Microgard.

Boy are you missing out on the gossip at the party! I'll make it simple.

Purolator oil filters were tearing for quite some time, so they "just happened to" come out with a new line of filters that can be found at certain auto parts stores.

The new SuperTech oil filters are made by Wix, but are not equivalent to a standard Wix filter, they have a little lower filtering efficiency.

I'll get my popcorn ready
36.gif

That could be good news. Maybe someone will find out if there any internal differences compared to WIX. I wonder why they changed the number?

Gerald

Nick1994, I didn't see your post before mine went up...sorry.
So, they are not quite up to snuff with WIX. Oh well, I've not been watching this stuff for awhile. Guess it's back to "home work" time again!
Thanks.

Gerald

What filtering efficiency range are you looking for? if you just want a good reliable filter that will run a 5k OCI, I would buy a supertech pretty quickly. If you are wanting a guaranteed 90% or higher filtering efficiency at 20 microns for cheap, go with a Fram orange can for only $1 more.

I probably shouldn't touch this, but someone did a spreadsheet of all the Purolator tearing reports and I think there were around 35 of them here--not many compared to the millions of filters out in the wild. I have cut open probably close to 20 PureOne filters over the last couple of years and have seen no signs of tearing. In any case, they are gone or disappearing quickly. A few Classics left on WalMart clearance shelves at $1.50 and you will probably see PureOnes on sale various places. Purolator offers a new line of filters now. By the way, my filter dissection indicates to me that the red silicone ADBVs are worth it, esepcially if you have a real winter where you are located. The red ones are much more pliable and stay pliable.

forget purolator too much quality drama. The super tech looks to be built much better but only time will tell..Lets see as we drive on the miles..

OK guys, here's what I did. Until I can get this figured out (again!), I will return the Supertech to W-M. Went down to my local Carquest to get their WIX re-badge filter. So, Carquest is now Advance Auto Parts!! No more WIX re-badges! This store is presently carrying two grades: Best is now made by Baldwin, cheaper "looks like" Purolator, but not sure. So, bought the Baldwin re-badge for $8.59. Seems too much and there will undoubtably be a better choice once I have time to look around.

Thanks for the info!

Gerald

Originally Posted By: glterpening
OK guys, here's what I did. Until I can get this figured out (again!), I will return the Supertech to W-M. Went down to my local Carquest to get their WIX re-badge filter. So, Carquest is now Advance Auto Parts!! No more WIX re-badges! This store is presently carrying two grades: Best is now made by Baldwin, cheaper "looks like" Purolator, but not sure. So, bought the Baldwin re-badge for $8.59. Seems too much and there will undoubtably be a better choice once I have time to look around.

Thanks for the info!

Gerald

Solid plan also NAPA Gold filters are "WIX re-badge" also and are very high quality filter plus every March they have a filter sale so you could stock up.

Thanks for the info!

Gerald
AAP (bought CQ) has (or can get) Carquest red & blue filters now. Used to be made by Baldwin or Wix (Affinia), now made by Champion Labs (Fram/Rank Group),the blue filter is equivalent to a Mobil 1, with the silicone ADBV, rated 99% at 20 microns, the red is more like 94% @ 20, with nitrile ADBV (AFAIK). There may be a few Affinia or Clarcor stragglers, but the new ones are all Champ.

Last edited:
OK guys, here's what I did. Until I can get this figured out (again!), I will return the Supertech to W-M. Went down to my local Carquest to get their WIX re-badge filter. So, Carquest is now Advance Auto Parts!! No more WIX re-badges! This store is presently carrying two grades: Best is now made by Baldwin, cheaper "looks like" Purolator, but not sure. So, bought the Baldwin re-badge for $8.59. Seems too much and there will undoubtedly be a better choice once I have time to look around.

You're returning the Supertech why?

Originally Posted By: kschachn
You're returning the Supertech why?

Not ready to accept the Supertech with a "strange" p/n plus its quality is still in question until I learn more. Maybe it's OK...for now, I choose what I was told was a Baldwin which has had a solid reputation at least since I was a mechanic back in the '60's!!

Gerald

PS I took a picture of the bottom of the two filters, but can't see how to put it in the post. No more time, now.

Originally Posted By: AuthorEditor
I probably shouldn't touch this, but someone did a spreadsheet of all the Purolator tearing reports and I think there were around 35 of them here--not many compared to the millions of filters out in the wild. I have cut open probably close to 20 PureOne filters over the last couple of years and have seen no signs of tearing. In any case, they are gone or disappearing quickly. A few Classics left on WalMart clearance shelves at $1.50 and you will probably see PureOnes on sale various places. Purolator offers a new line of filters now. By the way, my filter dissection indicates to me that the red silicone ADBVs are worth it, esepcially if you have a real winter where you are located. The red ones are much more pliable and stay pliable.

The spreadsheet wasn't kept up very well as time went on, but I'd say there have been more like 70~80 reported tears. And as time went on, people stopped using Purolators which meant the amount of people cutting and reporting basically disappeared after some time. IMO, it was clear there was a major problem going on with Purolators and all the media tearing reports made by must members here.

Torn Filters Spreadsheet Link

The Fram cross reference puts a ST3506 with my 03 Chevrolet 6.0. I have a ST3505. I remember that is what the computer look-up showed me to get. So, what is going on between the 3505 and 3506?

But there is no PH3505 from Fram. What is with the disambiguition?

Maybe Supertech following Frams numbers while using Wix filters caused some errors in cataloguing?

i use a supertech st6607 with a combo adbv/bypass ,and i dont regret it one bit ,some have posted both the classic bypass version and the combo bypass version .for 2;84 us? you cant beat this bargin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back