SuperTech Filter Changed to Cheaper Construction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Put your finger through he threaded hole and feel around. There should be rubber at the very top, just below the threads. If there isn't take it back.

Looked at 4 ST8A filters at my local Wally's on my way home last night. All had the black nitrile ADBV, although in fairness I had to look real carefully to see it.

Originally Posted By: daman
I don't know why anyone use's a super [censored] when a WIX and NG are
only maybe a 1$ more and twice the filter,i've cut open many ST
and what [censored],thin media end caps like fram that pull off very
easly, scary.....
27.gif

This is not the case for everyone. I use the ST7137 for my Honda and the wix and Napa Gold are going for about $7.xx here in Oregon. I price out a case from fleetfilters and it's still almost $6 shipped. I don't need to buy a wix when my ST will last 5K miles no problem. Thin media end caps? Mine are metal end caps.

All you gotta do is buy a suspect filter and a 3/4x16 bolt. Fill the filter with oil, plug the hole, and toss it around. If oil comes out: no ADBV. Otherwise, there is.

Originally Posted By: Silver02ex
easly, scary.....
27.gif

This is not the case for everyone. I use the ST7137 for my Honda and the wix and Napa Gold are going for about $7.xx here in Oregon. I price out a case from fleetfilters and it's still almost $6 shipped. I don't need to buy a wix when my ST will last 5K miles no problem. Thin media end caps? Mine are metal end caps.

u must have old stock,,all new currant stock i have cut open are just as i said.your car ain't worh a few extra bucks for a better filter?? geeeze.

easly, scary.....
27.gif

u must have old stock,,all new currant stock i have cut open are just as i said.your car ain't worh a few extra bucks for a better filter?? geeeze.

What old stock? I just went to Wal-Mart this morning and the ST7317 had a date of March 19th 09. It's the same as the one i had from last year. I didn't know if you consider that old. Once again for my car, It's not $1 more it's almost 3 times more. $2.77 vs. $7.xx at my local auto parts store and Napa. My ST7137 are NOT ECORE so they still have the metal end caps.

easly, scary.....
27.gif

What old stock? I just went to Wal-Mart this morning and the ST7317 had a date of March 19th 09. It's the same as the one i had from last year. I didn't know if you consider that old. Once again for my car, It's not $1 more it's almost 3 times more. $2.77 vs. $7.xx at my local auto parts store and Napa. My ST7137 are NOT ECORE so they still have the metal end caps.

well then tell me why the [censored] i opend has paper/cardboard end
caps,,i got a whole shelf of them cut open,there not steel.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
All you gotta do is buy a suspect filter and a 3/4x16 bolt. Fill the filter with oil, plug the hole, and toss it around. If oil comes out: no ADBV. Otherwise, there is.

Be sure to this in their parking lot and not in your garage.

I have recently seen/owned at least two kinds of Champion Supertech filters, one is the e-core and the other has metal end caps with the blue relief valve inside. I think there is one more type with a different relief valve, identical to the older Champion made Bosch. Depends on the application.
After reading Champon's description on the e-core's improved features, I would prefer them to the others at WM. End caps and center tubes don't have to be made of metal, only to be thrown away, and some filters do away with end caps altogether.

The last STP/ST filters I checked were blue button versions which I assume are still the all metal endcaps.

easly, scary.....
27.gif

well then tell me why the [censored] i opend has paper/cardboard end
caps,,i got a whole shelf of them cut open,there not steel.

Certain smaller size of the ST/STP filters are still made with the metal end caps. such as the 7317 and 6607. Next time you're at WM, check out the 7317, you can see it has the metal cage vs the plastic cage that the ECORE has.

Under $5 each for Purolator Pure-1s when bought in pairs from Amazon.com. Lately that has been my go-to source for good filters at a good price.

easly, scary.....
27.gif

NAPA makes a less expensive filter than the Gold. You need to ask for them at the counter and they are usually within a dollar of the Supertechs.

Yeah they'll hand you a gold automatically most of the time but you can ask and get a less expensive nascar filter. Just dont complain when its dusty because you were the first to ever ask for one.

Originally Posted By: Dyoel182
Yeah they'll hand you a gold automatically most of the time but you can ask and get a less expensive nascar filter. Just dont complain when its dusty because you were the first to ever ask for one.

LOL.gif
That's true. Last time I went to Napa I picked up a Nascar Select for my car, and the box was all faded by the sun and quite dusty, but the filter itself was fine. I have a feeling it was sitting on the shelf for a little while.

When I got my Nascar filter a year ago (I just wanted to see the construction) the guy had to ask someone else where they were. The filter is still sitting on the shelf though waiting for a turn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back