SuperTech SAE 30 Lawn Mower Oil VS. SAE HD-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Only a VOA can tell the possible difference.

I would use and 10w30 HDEO.

If these are both WPP products, they are surprisingly good with providing useful data sheets.

I'd email them assuming they are the manufacturer.

Only on BITOG would you get 3 pages of answers concerning lawn mower oil!! Since this is BITOG, I would suggest selecting either oil, using it for a season, then have a UOA done. Next season, use the other oil and repeat. Compare the 2 UOA'S and go from there.

I went looking for some Craftsman labeled oil on the Sear's site and came up with some Super S oil also available at Kmart. $4.99 for the smaller 20 oz. container. A few dollars more for the 32 oz. version. Anyways here it is fellas.

Good point. If I remember correctly, I think it even said somewhere in the owner's manual that the expected service life of the mower is about 7 years. They don't build them like they used to.

Originally Posted By: CosmicLawnmower
Good point. If I remember correctly, I think it even said somewhere in the owner's manual that the expected service life of the mower is about 7 years. They don't build them like they used to.

I'd guess it would last seven years if you don't top up the oil.

It's amazing how much abuse lawn mower engines can take. Not sure about new engines, especially those from China. However, the old B&S and Tecumseh engines never seemed to fail despite years of hard service and no maintenance. The last B&S engine I saw fail was due to a broken plastic internal governor part that had nothing to do with lubrication. Even then it still ran but at about 5000 rpm. It was only a matter of time before it would let go.

Personally, I'd use the cheapest brand name oil of the proper specifications. Otherwise, it's a waste of money to buy an expensive oil for that application.

Rule #1 I do not buy straight weight oil for my OPE. I do not run my stuff hours on end that a multi viscosity would be more beneficial in my case. Pennzoil YB 10w30 it is. It might be Resource Conserving, but if you were to get Honda Small gas engine oil, its has the latest API SN Resource Conserving classification too.

Rule #2. I do not buy oil that says "Lawn Mower Oil". Its just overpriced, old specced oil.

Rule #3. If it doesn't have an oil filter, then a conventional will do. Find it for a good deal, there is just no need to over pay for oil for your lawn mower. I have stocked up on Pennzoil YB 10w30 at $3 a quart. I know I could of done better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back