SuperTech oil packaging

Based on the "green light" I got here, I went ahead and bought SuperTech 0W-20 for my most recent 4Runner oil change.

I'm happy to save some money on this job, since the maintenance schedule dictates I change the oil & filter every 5000 miles (lots of driving on dusty dirt roads). :rolleyes:

However, I wasn't pleased with the seals on the 5-quart and one-quart jugs I got. Removing the screw top revealed a glued-on paper cover. Which should be no big deal. But on both jugs, the paper separated from a plastic layer that stayed glued. That plastic layer was so thin I couldn't simply peel it off. It tore into pieces that I had to remove very carefully so no bits fell into the oil.

Has anyone else buying ST encountered this? A little bit of plastic getting into the oil is unlikely to be catastrophic, but I'd rather not introduce any foreign matter into the system.
P3191081_ST1.JPG

P3191082_ST2.JPG

I've noticed the same thing. It's a little annoying and I just try my best to cut the film off with my knife before pouring. What I've learned to do now is just use the knife to cut the inside perimeter of the hole instead of peeling the paper top seal.

Castrol and Mobil use annoying foil laminated seals too, I just take a razor and cut is as close to the perimeter as possible, I wish everyone used the easy pull up seals like Chevron does.

This is the 1 and only reason I do not use ST oil (well except that recently I have picked up a ton of cheap oil - thanks BITOG clearance forum)

I HATE that Seran wrap stuff they use, I swear that I dropped some of it into my 5qt jug but of course I could not see it. Darn near threw away the entire 5 quarts before convincing myself that my filter would probably catch it.

It punctures very easy, so a poke with a key, insert finger and pull out. Takes longer to get a key or screwdriver than it takes to remove it. Better than the strong foil they put on antifreeze jugs, has to be cut out.

Rod

Yeah, I've noticed that. Kind of annoying. The last couple times I've bought the 12 quart box of oil. No plastic to drop into the oil on that.

I watched a video from South Main Auto a few days ago and he was changing his oil and he brought up that one time this lady brought a car in and the valve train was clattering pretty bad and I think she just wanted him to change the oil and Lucas as the previous owner did and he convinced her to let him look into it and what he found was a piece of that laminated foil of an oil bottle was crammed in an oil passage that fed the valvetrain.

Its in other packaging besides ST oil.
Yeap, I see it on many different liquid packaging. The ones that are paper or (thin) cardboard seem easy to "fake" or reapply but are definitely easier to remove without any remnants. The ones with the super-thin plastic, secondary layer like the OP is talking about always concern me that I won't get it all. One person mentioned cutting a slice and that allows you to grab it and remove it better and that's what I've been doing myself for a while.

I have with ST and agree others are like it … yesterday it was AC Delco Dexron VI …
… but that’s not the same seal Mobil 1 has …

Yeah, jab a screwdriver in. Reach in with your thumb and lever the thing out. If you are worried, I'd pick up a pack of paint filters and decant it into a 1 quart plastic measuring cup, one quart at a time. You can get it a Walmart. Good Luck!

Its in other packaging besides ST oil. All goes back to the person who put poison in Tylenol capsules decades ago.

You know the back story behind that Tylenol circumstance ???

Really quite interesting actually.

Use a knife to cut around 90% of the perimeter then pull the remaining off so it doesn't fall in. Easy fix.

OP you should also email those photo's to warren support. They will likely do something about it.

Last edited:
Back