Supertech Oil Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been using the Supertech 7317 on the wife's 1998 Infinity QX4. Seems like a well made filter for the money.

Nothing wrong with ST filters at all. They aren't the bargain that they used to be ..but still not bad. They're sensible in a 3k-5k type OCI vehicle. If she does higher mileage, then consider using an upper tier filter. This is viewed from a "benefit from filtration" standpoint. If you're doing a shorter OCI, it's hard to get any benefit out of finer and more expensive filtration. Both will last as long in service (probably) from a loading standpoint. Some will have ADBV fatigue within the 3k-5k span if the valve is nitrile (which ST is).

Thanks Gary. I always change the oil and oil filter at the Infinity/Nissan interval 3 months /3750 WCF

The only way you can get your money's worth out of a more expensive filter is to change it out every other OCI. The viability of doing this would depend on your annual mileage. Since you appear to have a close balance between 3months/3750 miles since both apparently come first at one time or another ...then you're doing 4 oil changes a year. You could probably use one filter (PureOne, M1, Wix, Amsoil) for all 4. You're in that class of mileage.

This doesn't feel right for some ..so the cheaper filter is the best choice for them.

Gary,

Thanks for the information. I could never change the oil filter every other oil change. To me, thats like leaving a quart of dirty oil in the motor, but I guess some folks do.

dwendt44,

Thanks for the information. I did notice the Advance oil filter has black grip coating like the Fram.

I wish our Walmarts would carry the Supertech filters here, there is nothing up here sold for under $3 anymore. About 5 years ago they used to sell AC Delco filters in Walmart for around $3 or $4, and our AC Delco filters up here are made by the same place that makes the Wix, and they use the same T3 media too, so they were a real bargain! To buy a Wix filter now, I have to pay $10 or more at NAPA. My only choice in a low cost filter (other than Fram, which is $5) would be the NAPA Nascar Select, and I'm running those on both of my cars right now. But I wonder if I should just switch back to the Wix on my next oci's so I can get the better T3 media again.

Can't you just jump across the bridge and stock up over on this side of the boarder, Patman?
You don't have a 'wanted' poster in the guard shack, do you?
grin2.gif

I've been using ST16s for almost 2yrs now. I was using Mann filters previously. There's no doubt that the OE Mann filters are superior in quality, but they just weren't cost effective w/4-5k OCIs. The only difference I've noticed with the STs is a brief oil light on cold start-up(1-1.5sec).

On another note, I've noticed that VW/Audi is using a Ecore-like design in some of thier OE cartridge filter applications. This got me thinkin'...maybe Champion Labs is onto something here.

Originally Posted By: dwendt44
Can't you just jump across the bridge and stock up over on this side of the boarder, Patman?
You don't have a 'wanted' poster in the guard shack, do you?
grin2.gif

Nope!
smile.gif

It's about a 90 minute drive to Niagara Falls NY for me, so any savings I get on buying filters there would be eaten up by gas money.

We need a BITOG underground filtration/oil railroad. Those who do frequent border crossings need to develop a network on both sides. Items can be bartered ...XD-3 for PureOnes or Wix. Trade is supposed to be free, is it not??

grin2.gif

Supertech filters are pound for pound one of the best filters for the price on the market today. They are good for change intervals of 3-5000 miles.

Back when Supertech filters were $1.79, or $2.08 or even $2.39, I would have agreed with you and I have to admit I purchased a lot of them. But now that they are $2.87, or higher, at my local Wal-Marts, I buy Motorcraft at Autozone that I can catch on sale for $3.
Goodbye Supertech.

Me too... Motorcrafts are the best buy at the Wall Of China stores. Unfortunately, so few applications exist there. Sure wish they would expand the Motorcraft applications offerings.

Nothing wrong with SuperTech oil filters.

I use either the ST oil filters or Purolator Premium which are sometimes on sale at PepBoys for $0.01/ea after rebate :)

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Nothing wrong with ST filters at all. They aren't the bargain that they used to be ..but still not bad. They're sensible in a 3k-5k type OCI vehicle. If she does higher mileage, then consider using an upper tier filter. This is viewed from a "benefit from filtration" standpoint. If you're doing a shorter OCI, it's hard to get any benefit out of finer and more expensive filtration. Both will last as long in service (probably) from a loading standpoint. Some will have ADBV fatigue within the 3k-5k span if the valve is nitrile (which ST is).

I've asked you before about Supertechs, and that was indeed for a 5-6k application with PP in a 2003 G35 coupe. I recently bought another one for my bosses' 2006 Acura TL. His OLM has made it out to nearly 9k on the Syntec that's in it currently, with 15% to spare. Am I to not put that filter on his car and keep with Purolater/Wix?

You can use a SuperTech. You may encounter start up rattle in some engines due to the fatigue on the ADBV. They're more suited, imo, to the 3-5k users since you're dumping the sump and changing the filter in a somewhat frequent (mile-wise) basis. There's no benefit in finer filtration or more durable features if you have to pay a premium for them.

Since this car is reaching this type of mileage on the OCI, I'd invest in an upper tier filter (Wix, Purolator, M1, EaO).

I think with an OLM providing the indication for the OCI, I'd probably change the filter every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back