supertech MV?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is a fully licenced Ford product but it doesn't indicate a synthetic blend.
Motorcraft is a bit pricey, but if there is nothing crazy about the ST I think I'll go for it.
I contacted Warren and they said their product fully meets the spec under vigorous testing, could theoretically be used in a dealership, and would be no issue with a warranty for a new trans.

Valvoline does not really meet the spec, in California anyway. Probably ok, but I want the real thing.

Past reviews for the product seem stellar, but nothing really recent about it.

If it's fully licensed, it's fully licensed
smile.gif

At 3.24 a quart it is an extremely good deal, via store pickup. Best price I can find for the Ford stuff is 6.14/qt for 12 shipped, also not bad. My local Motorcraft distributor (United Auto Parts) is probably around there, add tax.
Carquest Mercon V cost that, and is probably made by Warren. Can't do any discounts on ATF in the parts stores, most are around that price per qt.

Edit. Made by either Amalie or Warren

Last edited:
Walmart dropped the price, it used to be ~$4.30/qt in store and online. Now showing $3.37 online (have not looked at in store prices recently). Problem is that my stores never seem to have more than 2-3 bottles at a time. I guess you could order what you need and have it shipped to store for free.
For a while the Havoline Mercon V on Amazon was a better deal (around $3.75/qt).

I have used the Supertech Merc V in my F150 with no issues (but have also used Maxlife ATF in it with no issues either).

Originally Posted By: blupupher

I have used the Supertech Merc V in my F150 with no issues (but have also used Maxlife ATF in it with no issues either).

I would love to use Maxlife but the viscosity specs aren't comforting. I'm sure though it is a great product, maybe better than Mercon V.
Not sure what to think about viscosity though, PP HM oils are speced to a low end of the viscosity scale. A good quality oil could end up ahead after many miles. From what I understand Super Tech MV is Conventional.

I doubt you'll meet the Ford license with all conventional oil in a Mercon V. I would surely think there's a health dose of Grp 3 synthetic in there to meet all of the specs including the cold weather testing.

Two points about using Maxlife and the viscosity worry:

1) Valvoline claim Mercon V shears anyway. Maxlife doesn't

2) How often does ATF get fully up to temp? I believe it takes at least half an hour.

Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer

2) How often does ATF get fully up to temp? I believe it takes at least half an hour.

thumbsup2.gif

People worry needlessly about "initial" viscosity specs instead of operational viscosity. Valvoline MAxLife, Mercon LV, Toyo WS, and others start out with about a 0.75 cSt lower viscosity than DexIII/Merc but never go much below that in operation.

The old DexIII/Merc series would start out at 7.5 cST and shear down to about 4.25 cSt in a short time.

Since the protective fluid film is a function of operational viscosity, which would you rather have: A fluid that is shear-unstable or a fluid that maintains its viscosity during operation?

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer

thumbsup2.gif

People worry needlessly about "initial" viscosity specs instead of operational viscosity. Valvoline MAxLife, Mercon LV, Toyo WS, and others start out with about a 0.75 cSt lower viscosity than DexIII/Merc but never go much below that in operation.

The old DexIII/Merc series would start out at 7.5 cST and shear down to about 4.25 cSt in a short time.

Since the protective fluid film is a function of operational viscosity, which would you rather have: A fluid that is shear-unstable or a fluid that maintains its viscosity during operation?

I Talked to a reputable trans builder today and he saw my explorer and said if it was his rig, Valvoline ML, if not Amsoil if it tows, he said that is my opinion. Mercon V will in no way be bad but there is better.

He said VV ML is great stuff, synthetic, and goes into both service fills and rebuilds at the shop. He said if a Ford reman is installed, there are warranty issues with using something that isn't officially licensed, but even so it is not an issue. His rebuilds(2 year warranty) get VV ML or Amsoil for severe service, work trucks, etc. Years ago he would say use the Ford stuff but things are different now.

I mentioned the viscosity thing and he said the supertech fluid will be around that number by the time you get home, and much lower 10K miles down the line. And it very well meets the spec, and it will probably be fine. He said more important to have a big cooler and change every 30k or so miles. He said much of his work is from neglect, and any good branded fluid will do.

Only thing that still bothers me is Ford does not approve LV (low viscosity) for Mercon V applications. LV is a full synth fluid as well. Tough call.

I was tempted with the Maxlife seeing how many people reported good things about it and seeing how it's very modern tech with Valvoline's backing.

But I also read here some doubts how one fluid could meet multiple friction characteristics.

When Autozone were clearing out Valvoline blue bottle ATFs, I picked up a load of the Valvoline Mercon V.

Subjectively, I'm very happy with it. Objectively, it seems to not run as hot. But I completely forgot to take a temperature reading on a multi hour summer drive and a couple of other extended use trips. Will try and remember on the next opportunity.

But the lower temperatures I've seen makes me wonder if it has the base oil quality of a more modern ATF.

I'm sure Supertech is fine though and if the objective is to change it often to remove contaminants, then the cheapest spec fluid is the best choice. I'm doing suck and fills every 10k miles with my cheaply acquired Valvoline ATF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back