SuperTech & Kirkland (Costco) Oil

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
I recently read that these, and Amazon's, synthetic oils are Group II based, but I can't find the reference now. Is anyone able to substantiate or disprove this?

I need to better understand the material data safety info.

I don't think they'd be putting synthetic on the bottles if it weren't at least group III, my question comes though if you blend a high VI group II base oil like Exxon EHC with some group III and the resultant mixture has a VI above 120, high enough saturate content to be group III, and low enough volatile content to be group III wouldn't that technically make it group III?

I don't think they'd be putting synthetic on the bottles if it weren't at least group III, my question comes though if you blend a high VI group II base oil like Exxon EHC with some group III and the resultant mixture has a VI above 120, high enough saturate content to be group III, and low enough volatile content to be group III wouldn't that technically make it group III?
Are there any "standards" on the definition of synthetic?

If it is strictly VI, then perhaps the resulting mix is enough to be considered synthetic.

Are there any "standards" on the definition of synthetic?

If it is strictly VI, then perhaps the resulting mix is enough to be considered synthetic.
Dexos 1.3 will have a 30% Grp2 limit … So, what drove that ?

I would thing so, the resulting base oil meets the viscosity index and saturate limits Making it a group III. I don’t see what difference it makes. Other than understanding the sausage making process where someone figured out a way to use less energy and materials to produce the same product, which in most technologies we would call progress.

Duplicate

I recently read that these, and Amazon's, synthetic oils are Group II based, but I can't find the reference now. Is anyone able to substantiate or disprove this?

Group 3+ no question. The quality of these Warren Distributing oils have been proven to be beyond reproach.

Without reading any data sheet, I believe(key word..."believe") that SuperTech & Kirkland conventional oils are Group II PLUS, essentially making them a blend. Meaning the conventional may have a bit of Group III splashed in.

And their synthetic oils are Group III. Their full synthetic 0W(e.g., 0W20) oils may have a bit of PAO in them as compared to a full synthetic 5W20 or 5W30 which may just be Group III only. But, IDK any of this for a fact. :unsure:

Back