Supertech 7317 vs. PureOne 14610

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.jason-long.com/filterchop.htm

Supertech had 6 holes on top where as the PureOne had 8.

I feel confident in saying that the PureOne had twice the pleats.

Aside from more media, EVERYTHING else seemed the same. Same internal parts. Can was the same thickness.

Price
Supertech - 2.08
PureOne - $4 something

Closing thoughts
Run the supertech for 3K. Run the PureOne for more. I only got the filters to 1K miles, but there was no wear on either filter showing a sign of failure in any way.

3k? I think 5-7k is probably making better use of this filter. Don't know what you are driving, but I've run it to 6k on my honda with no obvious signs of any problem(dont recall which number at the moment). As far as media, it has enough to get the job done.

quote:

Originally posted by dustyjoe1:
3k? I think 5-7k is probably making better use of this filter. Don't know what you are driving, but I've run it to 6k on my honda with no obvious signs of any problem(dont recall which number at the moment). As far as media, it has enough to get the job done.

I agree with you, I am just stating that for 3K OCI'ers the Supertech is more than ample. If i had a car that this filter would fit I would probably run it up to 5K and check it out. I still have some Advanced Auto filters to use, but I am going overseas, so there are 10 AA filters that will sit in my room for a year.

May I ask if the last picture is the bypass for the Pureone? I'm just curious since thats whats on my Civic rigt now and the Supertech I used last time had a spring thing in the middle.

Are the last two pics showing a mushy cardboard end cap??
shocked.gif

The last two pictures are the ends of the filter.

From Screw on Piece to top of filter the order is

Orange piece

FIlter media

rectangular thing

quote:

Originally posted by asiancivicmaniac:
May I ask if the last picture is the bypass for the Pureone? I'm just curious since thats whats on my Civic rigt now and the Supertech I used last time had a spring thing in the middle.

If you look at the last picture for the Supertech, you will see the spring thing. I honestly don't understand how the bypass works for the PureOne, because everything that was in the Supertech was in the PureOne except for the spring in the Supertech.

I keep hearing supertech floating around here in the forums. Is this the same supertech that is sold at wallyworld (and isn't this a "walmart store brand" filter)? I'm just wondering because I would have never thought they are as good as people are making them out to be. I know the orange cans of death are a big no-no, but it's blowing my mind hearing about supertechs. I'm a newbie here, so pardon my ignorance
gr_eek2.gif

What is the application? If it is a filter for a GM vehicle, many of those do not have a bypass in the filter because GM generally puts the bypass valve on the engine.

John

I don't know what it is actually for, but I used it on a 95 Kawasaki ZX6-E. It would also work on an 01-03 Hyundai Elantra, as well as many other compacts.

Yes, the Supertech is $2.08 at you friendly neighborhood Wal-mart.

quote:

What is the application? If it is a filter for a GM vehicle, many of those do not have a bypass in the filter because GM generally puts the bypass valve on the engine.

John

I know it works for all current Honda engines with the exception of the s2k and it also works for some Nissans. Maybe its an import filter?

quote:

Originally posted by bighead:
I keep hearing supertech floating around here in the forums. Is this the same supertech that is sold at wallyworld (and isn't this a "walmart store brand" filter)? I'm just wondering because I would have never thought they are as good as people are making them out to be. I know the orange cans of death are a big no-no, but it's blowing my mind hearing about supertechs. I'm a newbie here, so pardon my ignorance
gr_eek2.gif

Yep, the ones sold at Walmart. For $2.07 you can't beat em. I have not tried the new e-core yet but the old design worked great. My next oil change will be with an e-core.

quote:

Originally posted by oilguy3:

quote:

Originally posted by bighead:
gr_eek2.gif

Yep, the ones sold at Walmart. For $2.07 you can't beat em. I have not tried the new e-core yet but the old design worked great. My next oil change will be with an e-core.

I would ask for pictures, but it would be at least 2 years before I would need new oil filters in this size.

I cut open a Pure One 14610 too. I can't see where the bypass is or how it works. It's used by many Honda/Nissan and I'm sure they call for a bypass in the filter. Maybe we have to talk to Purolator to find out? I don't see myself using it before figuring it out. The weird thing is that they cost even more than most other purolator that have the bypass.

Bighead---SuperTech's sold at Wally's are made by Champion Labs and are identical to Lee, STP, Bosch, Champ, Valucraft, etc as they are all made by Champion under different labels. A good filter at a very good price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back