SuperTech 10W30 Full Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was at my local Wallyworld this AM and I spotted the 5 quart jugs of 5W30 and 10W30 Full Synthetic motor oil for 11.88.

I've never tried SuperTech oil before and I realize this is GIII oil but for that price I couldn't pass it up. I just changed my "winter leftovers blend of 3 quarts Redline 5W30 and 3 quarts Mobil 1 TriSyn 5W30" for some fresh Chevron Supreme 10W30.

Next change I'm going to try the Wallyworld stuff.

Anyone know anything about this oil? Based on the labeling, it sure looks like generic Mobil 1. I picked up 4 5-quart containers tonight for 11.88 v. 19.82 for the M1.

Comments?

[ March 21, 2004, 08:14 PM: Message edited by: DAC17 ]

I don't believe it's a bad oil whatsoever. I just picked up a jug of 5w-30 synth as a short-term break in oil in our new car. My biggest problem with this oil is that no one has a definitive answer as to what this oil is truly made of. At least with M1, Chevron, etc, we can be reasonably assured of quality control and what's in each bottle with a small margin of error. Can't say that with ST oils.

I called Walmart, they said it was Quaker State. Other memebers of this board say it was never QS. I'm inclined to believe the members of this board over a help-desk person at Walmart. But... what IS the right answer??? THAT'S what bothers me.

Given the period of ownership of most vehicles the SuperTech Synthetic will probably suffice. I believe more people will use SuperTech and perform more UOA on it and give a clearer picture of it. If I changed the oil myself I would use it, but Walmart lets you choose any bottled oil for their $28 synthetic change so I choose Mobil 1. I however use SuperTech synthetic in my yard equipment. I hope the 5 gallon jugs show up soon, right now its $3/QT for single bottles.

quote:

Originally posted by ToyotaNSaturn:
I called Walmart, they said it was Quaker State. Other memebers of this board say it was never QS. I'm inclined to believe the members of this board over a help-desk person at Walmart. But... what IS the right answer??? THAT'S what bothers me.

A member of our board (Johnny) who works for Pennzoil (which owns Quaker State) has stated that the entrie line of SuperTech oil is (or was) made by Quaker State. Others have said that it is now being made for Wal-Mart by Warren Oil, but I don't know what their sources are of if they are just theorizing. It could well be that it's still being made by Quaker State.

quote:

Originally posted by ssmokn:
I was at my local Wallyworld this AM and I spotted the 5 quart jugs of 5W30 and 10W30 Full Synthetic motor oil for 11.88.

I saw that this weekend!
shocked.gif
They had an entire end rack display full of ST 10W30 Full Syn 5qt jugs for 11.88. Those and the single bottles both had slightly different labels and said "NEW!". I wonder if they changed to a different formulation again
gr_eek2.gif
banghead.gif

It worked ok for me when I used it. Maintained it's viscosity much better than the dino version. Here's a UOA when I ran it in the truck:Supertech Full Syn 10W30, 6894 miles, 2000 Ford Ranger 3.0L V6 FFV

quote:

Maintained it's viscosity much better than the dino version.

Excellent point! Therein lies the attraction to using this oil. $12 per 6-7K drain + $2 per ST filter. Hard to beat the value in many cases.

"It could well be that it's still being made by Quaker State."

Just to keep beating this dead horse. It was always a bit of a misnomer to associate the earlier oils as QS. This was a separate company (Specialty Petroleum) with a separate product that was purchased by Quaker State prior to the merger with PZ-- and on to Shell, yadayadayada.

The product never had much to do with Quaker State any more than QS is presently Pennzoil or shell.

1. The MSDS sheets for Wal-Mart and Warren match totally.
2. It's not Warren Petroleum (which just bought Coastal and is another company entirely), it's Warren Distribution.
3. Calls to Warren Distribution by several members on this board have confirmed that they are the blenders for Super Tech.
4. If you look at Wal-Mart's MSDS data sheets, it shows Warren Distribution as the distributor for SL oils and Specialty Petroleum (the Quaker State subsidiary) as the distributor for SJ oils.
5. SuperTech is not a product, it is a brand name owned by Wal-Mart, so if Wal-Mart can find someone who will blend at a better price when SM oils arrive, or if Warren can't handle it, you can expect further changes. Doesn't bother me in the least, but it might bother others.
6. At the time of Johnny's statement, the Specialty Petroleum plant in Shreveport was still the blender but that plant was shut down with the Shell purchase. I believe he confirmed that with one of his posts. I had postulated that the ST production might have been shifted to Shell to take advantage of the Equilon breakup and transfer of Havoline production to Chevron but that was not to be.

[ March 22, 2004, 12:16 PM: Message edited by: csandste ]

For the dino users this stuff costs about the same as single quarts of dino and no matter how you look at it you get a superior basestock . Weak basestocks sometimes are formulated with larger additive packs . This explains alot about some of these low cost oils we see IMO .The 6894 mile interval on the Ford showed a rather ordinary add pack in the Supertech synthetic yet performed very well .

If nothing else it would make a great winter oil for many .... I'm tempted to try the 10w-30 but I'm tempted alot
smile.gif

Does anyone have a data sheet for this oil ?

Csandste do you have it ??????

Here is a copy of the MSDS sheet lists for the motor oils Walmart sells. It lists the supplier of Supertech oils as Warren Distribution.

KENDALL GT-1 TURBO HIGH PERFORMANCE MOTOR OIL, ALL SAE GRADES
KENDALL SUPERB 100 MOTOR OIL, ALL SAE GRADES
OIL TREATMENT MOTOR MEDIC #1
PENNZOIL MULTI-VIS MOTOR OIL SAE 20W50
TROP-ARTIC DETERGENT MOTOR OILS
CITGO MOTOR OIL SUS 200-400 5W30,10W30,20W20,10W
CITGO MOTOR OILS SUS > 400
QUAKER STATE HD 2 CYCLE MOTOR OIL
TECH 2000 SAE 30 UNIVERSAL MOTOR OIL
QUAKER STATE DELUXE MOTOR OIL 5W-30,
QUAKER STATE SUPER BLEND MOTOR OIL 10W-30
QUAKER STATE SYNQUEST 100% SYNTHETIC SAE 5W-50 MOTOR OIL
QUAKER STATE HD MOTOR OIL 10W
QUAKER STATE HDX UNIVERSAL FLEET MOTOR OIL 15W-40
FORD MOTORCRAFT RACING OIL SAE 20W-50
FORD SUPER PREMIUM 5W30 MOTOR OIL
FORD CANADA MOTOR OIL (ALL BLENDS)
FORD CANADA MOTORCRAFT OIL (ALL BLENDS)
HAVOLINE FORMULA 3 MOTOR OILS--ALL WEIGHTS
MOBIL MOTOR OIL 20W-50
AMOCO ULTIMATE GOLD MOTOR OIL
AMOCO ULTIMATE GOLD MOTOR OIL SAE 30, SAE 40
MOTOR OIL (ALL GRADES) -- AGWAY
SUPER TECH SAE 15W40 UNIVERSAL MOTOR OIL -- SPECIALTY OIL
SUPER TECH PERFORMANCE ENGINEERED HD SAE MOTOR OIL - ALL GRADES -
SUPER TECH SAE 30 UNIVERSAL MOTOR OIL -- SPECIALTY OIL
SUPER TECH PERFORMANCE ENGINEERED SYNTHETIC BLEND SAE 10W30 MOTOR
SUPER TECH PERFORMANCE ENGINEERED SAE MOTOR OIL - ALL GRADES -- S
SUPER HD II MOTOR OIL-ALL GRADES -- PHILLIPS 66
SLICK 50 SYNTHETIC MOTOR OIL 10W30 -- BLUE CORAL
CASTROL SYNTEC FSX SAE 5W-50 MOTOR OIL -- CASTROL NORTH AMERICA
CASTROL SYNTEC BLEND SAE 20W50 PART SYNTHETIC MOTOR OIL -- CASTRO
CASTROL GTX MOTOR OIL SAE 10W30 -- CASTROL NORTH AMERICA
CASTROL GTX MOTOR OIL SAE 20W50 -- CASTROL NORTH AMERICA
CASTROL SYNTEC FULL SYNTHETIC SAE 5W30 MOTOR OIL -- CASTROL NORT
CASTROL SYNTEC BLEND TRUCK SAE 15W40 PART SYNTHETIC MOTOR OIL --
CASTROL SYNTEC FULL SYNTHETIC SAE 10W40 MOTOR OIL -- CASTROL NORT
CASTROL SYNTEC BLEND SAE 10W30 PART SYNTHETIC MOTOR OIL -- CASTRO
CASTROL GTX MOTOR OIL SAE 10W40 -- CASTROL NORTH AMERICA
CASTROL SYNTEC BLEND SAE 5W30 PARTY SYNTHETIC MOTOR OIL -- CASTRO
CASTROL SYNTEC BLEND SAE 10W40 PART SYNTHETIC MOTOR OIL -- CASTRO
CASTROL GTX MOTOR OIL SAE 5W30 -- CASTROL NORTH AMERICA
TLE 99 SUPPLY: QUAKER STATE SUPER BLEND MOTOR OIL 10W-30
GENUINE NON-DETERGENT SAE 30 MOTOR OIL--QUAKER STATE
TECH 2000 SAE 15W40 UNIVERSAL MOTOR OIL -- QUAKER STATE
TECH 2000 PERFORMANCE ENGINEERED SAE 10W30 MOTOR OIL -- QUAKER ST
CERTIFIED PERFORMANCE ENGINEERED SAE 10W30 MOTOR OIL -- QUAKER ST
MYSTIK JT-8 PREMIUM GASOLINE MOTOR OIL SAE 5W30 -- CITGO PETROLEU
MYSTIK JT-8 MOTOR OIL SAE 15W40 -- CITGO PETROLEUM
MYSTIK JT-8 MOTOR OIL SAE 15W50 -- CITGO PETROLEUM
MYSTIK JT-8 MOTOR OIL SAE 10W30 -- CITGO PETROLEUM
MYSTIK JT-8 MOTOR OIL SAE 10W40 -- CITGO PETROLEUM
MYSTIK JT-8 MOTOR OIL SAE 30 -- CITGO PETROLEUM
QUAKER STATE SAE MOTOR OIL - ALL GRADES -- QUAKER STATE
QUAKER STATE HD SAE MOTOR OIL - ALL GRADES -- QUAKER STATE
PENNZOIL MULTI-GRADE MOTOR OIL WITH Z-7 ALL GRADES
TLE 99 SUPPLY: PENNZOIL MULTI-GRADE MOTOR OIL WITH Z-7 ALL GRADES
PENNZOIL HD SAE MOTOR OIL WITH Z-7 - ALL GRADES
URSA SUPER PLUS MOTOR OIL--ALL WEIGHTS -- TEXACO
PENNZOIL GT PERFORMANCE RACING MOTOR OIL SAE 25W-50
GENUINE 10W40 MOTOR OIL -- WARREN OIL
GENUINE NON-DETERGENT SAE 30 MOTOR OIL--WARREN OIL
ACCEL NON-DETERGENT SAE 30W MOTOR OIL -- WARREN DISTRIBUTION
SUPER TECH AND TECH 2000 5W30 MOTOR OIL -- WARREN DISTRIBUTION
SUPER TECH AND TECH 2000 GENUINE 30W MOTOR OIL -- WARREN DISTRIBU
SUPER TECH AND TECH 2000 10W30 MOTOR OIL -- WARREN DISTRIBUTION
SUPER TECH AND TECH 2000 30W MOTOR OIL -- WARREN DISTRIBUTION
SUPER TECH SAE 30 UNIVERSAL MOTOR OIL -- WARREN DISTRIBUTION
FORMULASHELL SAE 10W30 MOTOR OIL -- SHELL OIL
QUAKER STATE MOTOR OIL SAE 5W20 -- PENNZOIL-QUAKER STATE
CASTROL GTX MOTOR OIL SAE 5W20 -- CASTROL NORTH AMERICA
MAX LIFE 20W50 MOTOR OIL -- VALVOLINE
CASTROL HEAVY DUTY MOTOR OIL SAE 30 , SAE 40, SAE 50
CHEVRON SUPREME SYNTHETIC MOTOR OIL -- CHEVRON PRODUCTS
CASTROL GTX HIGH MILEAGE SAE 10W30 MOTOR OIL -- CASTROL NA
CASTROL GTX HIGH MILEAGE SAE 10W40 MOTOR OIL -- CASTROL NA
CASTROL GTX HIGH MILEAGE SAE 20W50 MOTOR OIL -- CASTROL NA
CASTROL GTX HIGH MILEAGE SAE 5W30 MOTOR OIL -- CASTROL NA
SUPER TECH SYNTHETIC BLEND SAE 5W30 MOTOR OIL -- WARREN DISTRIBUT
SUPER TECH SYNTHETIC BLEND SAE 10W30 MOTOR OIL -- WARREN DISTRIBU
TECH 2000 10W40 MOTOR OIL -- WARREN DISTRIBUTION
MOBIL 1 MX2T 2-CYCLE MOTORCYCLE OIL -- MOBIL OIL
CHEVRON SUPREME MOTOR OIL -- CHEVRON PRODUCTS
QUAKER STATE PEAK PERFORMANCE CONVENTIONAL MOTOR OIL -- ALL GRADE
4 STROKE MOTORCYCLE OIL CV 10W40 -- VALVOLINE
2 STROKE MOTORCYCLE OIL CV -- VALVOLINE
4 STROKE MOTORCYCLE OIL CV 20W50 -- VALVOLINE
MOBIL 1 MX4T 10W40 MOTORCYCLE OIL -- MOBIL
TROPARTIC MOTOR OIL (ALL GRADES) -- PHILLIPS 66
HEAVY DUTY 30, 40, 50 MOTOR OIL -- AMALIE OIL
SUPER TECH SYNTHETIC BLEND 10W40 MOTOR OIL -- WARREN DISTRIBUTION
PENNZOIL SYNTHETIC BLEND MOTOR OIL - ALL GRADES -- PENNZOIL-QUAKE
SUPER TECH PERFORMANCE ENGINEERED MOTOR OIL - ALL GRADES -- PENNZ
QUAKER STATE 4-CYCLE MOTORCYCLE OIL -- PENNZOIL/QUAKER STATE
HAVOLINE MOTOR OIL - ALL GRADES -- CHEVRON TEXACO
QUAKER STATE SYNTHETIC BLEND MOTOR OIL FOR HIGH HORSEPOWER ENGINE
WOLF'S HEAD SUPER DUTY MOTOR OIL - ALL GRADES
CITGO SUPERGARD MOTOR OIL SAE 20W50
CITGO SUPERGARD MOTOR OIL SAE 30 -- CITGO
SUPER PREMIUM MOTOR OIL SAE 5W20, 5W30, 10W30, 10W40 -- FORD MOT
SUPER DUTY MOTOR OIL SAE 15W40 -- FORD MOTOR CO
PENNZOIL MULTIGRADE MOTOR OIL SAE 5W20 -- PENNZOIL QUAKER STATE
PENNZOIL MARINE MOTOR OIL - ALL GRADES -- PENNZOIL QUAKER STATE
4 CYCLE MOTOR OIL SAE 30 -- PENNZOIL- QUAKER STATE

[ March 24, 2004, 01:28 PM: Message edited by: garyb80 ]

Well, just what is Warren Distribution? Are they making the oil or are they just an intermediate distributor, buying from someone & selling to WalMart?
dunno.gif

Warren Distributing makes the plastic bottles and packages the oil in a plant in Council Bluffs, Iowa across the river from Omaha. Where the oil is sourced from is the question. I do not know if there are any oil wells in Iowa but I have seen plenty of barge traffic in the area and it is just my guess as to how the bulk oil is delivered.

What I saw at W*M was a Full Syn 10w-30 Hi-Miles oil. No other full synths claim HM additives, as far as I know. This looks do-able.

quote:

Originally posted by Audi Junkie:
What I saw at W*M was a Full Syn 10w-30 Hi-Miles oil. No other full synths claim HM additives, as far as I know. This looks do-able.

If you look at the specs of the syn blend, they are just as good. The 5qt jug I bought today to change the oil in my van was just $7.17.

I think they're blending as well, as calls by others to the plant have resulted in discussions with chemists. Obviously they're not refining the base stocks and the 10w30 has changed from not having moly to having it in the last year. My guess is that if they can get a better price in the middle of the run they'll play that game since WM is no doubt squeezing them. Not that larger refineries might not do this as well. The spec. sheets do match up entirely with their own brand, so that must show something different than simply a bottler although blending could certainly be off-sourced as well.

It's interesting that the spec. sheets show them associated with Tech 2000. Either that's Canadian oil or old pre 1999 U.S. stuff. Most of the posts here have the Canadian product as Safety Kleen or Petro Canada, although I always thought Safety Kleen just had a packaging contract. If you're an oil purist, I don't think this stuff's for you. Wal-Mart will extract the lowest price. On the other hand, the risks to them if they name branded a really bad oil that didn't make a true SL grade would be enormous.

[ March 25, 2004, 11:47 AM: Message edited by: csandste ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back