Super weeds?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: spackard
Well buy your Roundup now; it's going to be banned soon. The writing's on the wall.

I'm sure it will be. Monsanto's patent has expired and everyone is making it. The Crony Cycle: Bring new product to market. Order paid for EPA take old one off the market.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Hatt,
that's the dupont refrigerant model isn't it ?
Probably. I'm not real familiar with refrigerants. It does seem every new savior product turns into an Earth killer after a few years. Then a new savior product is introduced.

I remember from reading around BITOG it seems plain ol propane is a good refrigerant. Not a lot of money to be made using that.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Not sure it's considered super weed, but when first moved to the South was introduced to Kudzu. That stuff grows like wildfire and envelops everything in it's path.

We had alot of that when I lived in Mississippi. People often joked the only way to get rid of it was to move away. After a while I think they weren't joking.

Bonide makes several products that will kill everything. Apply it a couple days before a rain, after that it's all dead.

There is one pervasive weed that's an invasive species, brought to the U.S. by well meaning pioneers wanting to prevent erosion and feed their animals - Johnson grass. This stuff grows almost everywhere and is hard to kill once it's established.

We have plenty of invasive species here in South Florida. The climbing grape vine is beyond tough to eliminate from my 2 acre yard. I've spent nearly $10,000 over the years getting rid of it. I have a wooded yard, and it grows so fast and is so tough, it takes a team of 5 or 6 guys to pull out the spring time growth.

Mama tries to go around and Roundup the shoots. But it's ineffective. As the Roots are HUGE. Often 3 inches in diameter and 50 feet long. Shoots pop up all along the huge root system.

The stems are mega tough, and a chainsaw is often required. The biggest stem I've seen is about 4 inches diameter. Mostly, though about 2-3 inches. Strong enough for Tarzan. You can climb them!

Muscadine%20grape_Vitis%20rotundifolia.jpg

0016123-LGPT.jpg

Wow! That's grape? Looks like Kudzu. We have lots of kudzu here, totally over grows trees and kills them. We also have wild grape here, but nothing like what you have.

The term "superweed" refers to weeds that have resistance to one or more popular herbicides due to selection pressure.

What you're describing is not a "superweed". It's just some type of weed that has migrated to your area and successfully established itself. Increased population and human migration can cause invasive species to spread like this (people carrying seeds on their shoes, lawn equipment, etc.).

Natural selection, you will probably be better off not using any of these herbicides and instead raise a couple rabbits trying to eat them out, or good ole fashion digging.

Originally Posted By: dmdx86
The term "superweed" refers to weeds that have resistance to one or more popular herbicides due to selection pressure.

I've not been able to use roundup or any other commonly available defoliant such as 2-4-D on the climbing grape vine, with any success. That may be due to it's configuration with a huge root system, but how that root system evolved is another story. In any case, mechanical removal is the only way.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
I've not been able to use roundup or any other commonly available defoliant such as 2-4-D on the climbing grape vine, with any success. That may be due to it's configuration with a huge root system, but how that root system evolved is another story. In any case, mechanical removal is the only way.

You may have to go after it with techniques similar to eradicating bamboo.

There are very effective herbicides that are mixed with diesel fuel to control woody weeds. Triclopyr is one. You can cut the vine and paint the stump or use a very directed spray or brush-on application to the "basal" area of the uncut stem (first 12" to 18" high). The mixture penetrates into the cambium layer and then moves into the entire root system. This type of application uses VERY little herbicide and eliminates any drifting associated with foliar sprays. Follow timing and application directions. Triclopyr has a "caution" rating that is safer than a "warning", or "danger" rating. We handle very dangerous gasoline daily...handle pesticides with the same respect. Kill them once and be done with it.
Google cut stump treatment.............................................basal spray
cut-stump-2-300x200.jpg
basal-treatment-300x238.jpg

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
Wow! That's grape? Looks like Kudzu. We have lots of kudzu here, totally over grows trees and kills them. We also have wild grape here, but nothing like what you have.

agree, looks like Kudzu. my neighbor has it. it grows on the fence line, lets say I feed it a very steady diet of glysophate. It knocks it back from my yard.
The house is for sale and no one lives there now. I am tempted to go back there cut it at the base and inject it directly with diesel and round up.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
There are very effective herbicides that are mixed with diesel fuel to control woody weeds. Triclopyr is one....

Tried all that. Does not work on climbing grape vine. At best, it kills a 2 foot section of a 50 foot root system.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Originally Posted By: doitmyself
There are very effective herbicides that are mixed with diesel fuel to control woody weeds. Triclopyr is one....

Tried all that. Does not work on climbing grape vine. At best, it kills a 2 foot section of a 50 foot root system.

Be very careful, then.
g3m7b.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back