Super tech oil choice

So for my 98 Mustang 3.8 with 79000 miles, I am thinking of using one of the super tech oils. But I can't decide if I should use the conventional or the full synthetic. I only drive it in the summer to shows and cruises etc, so only gets less than 2000 miles per year, but generally change once a year. I will probably use the high mileage version just because of the 22 year old seals and gaskets, and there is some minor seepage. Owners manual calls for 10w30, and even though ford later said to use 5w20, I am gonna stay with the 10w30.
BUT, conventional or full synthetic? Wish they had a semi synthetic.

I could go either way with that kind of use. On one hand, the syn is cheap and offers peace of mind. But 2k miles a year is by no means many. To be honest, this is probably one of the ideal cases where conventional oil makes good sense. There's no reason the ST HM 10w30 wouldn't perform well, and is certainly better than oils that were available when Ford designed the car. If another couple bucks for syn gives you the warm fuzzies, go for it. But if not you are not doing the car a disservice, especially considering you won't have any Nebraska cold starts in the winters.

I also store the car for about 6 to 7 months for the winter, and think I read that the conventional leaves a better film on things for protection. Is there any truth to that?

I also store the car for about 6 to 7 months for the winter, and think I read that the conventional leaves a better film on things for protection. Is there any truth to that?
I'd still want synthetic, or if you go by what some say, get Castrol Magnatec full synthetic (according to US requirements, kinda more of a blend) with intelligent molecules but now you're talking like $20 for 5 quarts.

Super Tech synthetic is close to the same price as conventional, just go with the synthetic. The shop I work at doesn’t even carry conventional oil anymore.

Go with the full synthetic 10w30 HM. I think you can afford the $1.17 difference:

1610402605717.png

1610402579461.png

Back