Super Tech MP9018 cartridge oil filter

I thought I'd give a little warning about this walmart oil filter. I have the infamous Chevy Equinox with a 2.4L engine. It doesn't burn oil yet but I'm changing it every 3000 miles to extend it's life.
Ok, the filter is Super Tech MP9018. Supposed to last 20K miles. It's made by Champion in the USA. I bought two jugs of the new max protection Super Tech oil and two of these filters. All supposedly good for 20K miles, lol, but I'm only going 3K. Anyway, the filter would not snap into the oil housing cap like all the FRAM and AC Delco filters I've used previously. I held the ends of the old FRAM to the Super Tech and the Walmart filter is the slightest bit too small in diameter. Since I had two filters I tried the second one and same result. So I reused the old filter since it's supposedly good for another 7K miles anyway.
Since the Walmart filters were still clean I returned both. Then I went and compared all brands of the same filter. What I found is that K&N is an identical filter as Super Tech except for the product number stamped on it and it's twice the price. So most likely it won't fit in a Chevy Equinox either.
I ended up with the Fram Tough Guard because it looks identical to the Extra Guards I've been using at half the price. I'll find out in 3K miles if it fits, lol.
So buyer beware of the new Super Tech MP9018 cartridge filter and it's twin in a K&N box.

Personally, the only filters to use in these Ecotecs are either the OEM Hengst ACDelco, or any of the Fram filters. The design of the Champ filters are completely different from the OE design.

I used a Purolator once in an Ecotec and the filter ADBV o ring got stuck in the engine block upon removal. I bought several Bosch Distance + filters on clearance several years ago and the same thing happened with the o ring.

I just stick to Hengst ACDelco or Fram and still happily cruising along at 215,000 miles 👍🏻.

Wix and Hengst make good filters that fit. I've used both on my Slingshot with its GM 2.4. Currently with Bosch.

Many aftermarket cartridge filters are poorly designed or poorly manufactured.

For your 2.4L Ecotec (and also the 2.2), the best filters to use are
Mann HU 6007x
Hengst E630H
Purflux L264A

The ACDelco OEM PF457G is Hengst. Unfortunately, GM doesn't supply an O-ring with theirs, but Hengst does supply one in the Hengst box :unsure:
Purflux was the OE supplier a long time ago when GM first introduced the Ecotec.

If you need a new cap, get the PF458G, which includes the filter, cap, and O-ring

Since Mann is now the parent company of Wix, perhaps the XP/Napa Platinum might also work in the Ecotec. Napa has it on sale for $7.49 for the monthly special, but these wire-backed synthetic filters aren't worth the extra cost if you're only going 3k

One O-ring, One OCI :D

I used a Mobil 1 20k oil filter in my wifes car. A 2011 equinox oil burner. I change the oil at 5k, and left the filter in for a second trip. I've tried using dexos rated oils in it, and it disappears just like any other. The only thing I do differently then what gm recommends is, I use 10/30 wt, and substitute a 1/2 qt of 20/50 wt oil during the change. It cut down the oil usage alot. and the motor runs as good as it ever will. It's got 67k miles on it and shouldn't use any oil. So if the engineers that designed it can't make it not consume oil, why should I listen to their oil recommendation?. I'm doing better with what I use.,,,

The OEM filter cap o ring is good for life, according to GM, so assume 150k miles.

The aftermarket cap o ring is of a lesser quality and should be changed every time doing an oil change.

I used a Mobil 1 20k oil filter in my wifes car. A 2011 equinox oil burner. I change the oil at 5k, and left the filter in for a second trip. I've tried using dexos rated oils in it, and it disappears just like any other. The only thing I do differently then what gm recommends is, I use 10/30 wt, and substitute a 1/2 qt of 20/50 wt oil during the change. It cut down the oil usage alot. and the motor runs as good as it ever will. It's got 67k miles on it and shouldn't use any oil. So if the engineers that designed it can't make it not consume oil, why should I listen to their oil recommendation?. I'm doing better with what I use.,,,
I've never been impressed by the Mobil 1 filters.

Honestly I can't tell any difference between GM's Delco filter, or any other brands. I used the Mobil 1 because it said it could be used for 20k miles. I'm only going to use it for 2 changes, then dump it. Kinda pricey, but save's me the trouble of changing it at every change.,,

I'm doing an oil change on a 2.2 Ecotec engine right now. Walmart didn't have anything else that fits. Same problem. You can see why. The internal cage. It's too high. I installed it.. it's really tight. But I'm wondering if that plastic cage snaps what might happen inside the engine

Attachments

• 20211121_110516.jpg
    20211121_110516.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 61
I took it back out for a peek. Looks fine as far as I can tell. Put some oil on the inner cage and it snapped in really nice. Going to run with it

Attachments

• 20211121_112024.jpg
    20211121_112024.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
The Fram CH9018 are now made just like the Walmart brand. Probably the exact same supplier to each brand. Just buying ACDelco now.

The engine didn't blow up when I started it. This is the ACDelco that was in there for 5K. It's got a kink in it just like all the other ones I've used. Am I doing something wrong or is that how they all are once you tighten up

Attachments

• 20211121_115900.jpg
    20211121_115900.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 26
The engine didn't blow up when I started it. This is the ACDelco that was in there for 5K. It's got a kink in it just like all the other ones I've used. Am I doing something wrong or is that how they all are once you tighten up
Totally normal to happen in this engine.
I only had 2 filters out of dozens that did not twist/kink during use (Fram Ultra and a Wix (but several other Wix filters did twist/kink)).

As @slacktide_bitog mentioned, Mann HU 6007x, Hengst E630H, and Purflux L264A have the best results of the filter media staying straight during use (but still not guaranteed). I think the zig-zag media of the Purflux has the best record for not twisting due to the media arraignment.

Back