Super Tech 20w50 Motorcycle oil

Last edited:
Here is what I would buy from Wal-Mart for syn Motorcylce oil.

If you're interested here is a VOA for Valvoline-4-Stroke 10W-40... make sure you factor in the 1 PPM aluminum and 1 PPM iron in your UAO...

Also note the measured viscosity is 13.8 cTs of gravity flow which is a mere 1.4 cTs gravity flow away of a 30 grade...

Valvoline4tMC10W40.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing on that VOA. Interesting the nice zinc and phosphorus numbers are a good bit higher than what Valvoline specs on their website (1120z/1030p). I know, I know, you are going to share that the amount of zinc doesn’t provide more protection, it just makes the protection last longer since it is a sacrificial additive. And I am gonna disagree in advance, just to save some time later.

Thanks for sharing on that VOA.

You mean thanks for taking credit for my VOA.

I had to double check the pic to make sure he hadn't Photochopped in some different numbers like he has done on other reports. :ROFLMAO:

years ago when scamsoil was said to be synthetic PAO my 08 hardly Porkster would kill its battery starting at 50 degrees in an unheated garage + battery was good shape + fully charged!! on another note my oil drinkin 72 nova 307 ran valvoiline convention 20-50 until it would NOT crank fast enough to start!!

Thanks for sharing on that VOA. Interesting the nice zinc and phosphorus numbers are a good bit higher than what Valvoline specs on their website (1120z/1030p). I know, I know, you are going to share that the amount of zinc doesn’t provide more protection, it just makes the protection last longer since it is a sacrificial additive. And I am gonna disagree in advance, just to save some time later.
You're welcome Bonz and whether we believe it or not... the objective
truth is the more zinc doesn’t equal more protection, it just equals
longer protection since it is a sacrificial additive..

Zinc is not even a lubricant until heat and load are applied. Zinc is
only used when there is actual metal to metal contact in the engine.
At that point zinc must react with the heat and load to create the
sacrificial film that allows it to protect flat-tappet camshafts and
other highly loaded engine parts.

In our stock engines the majority of zinc is drained away during the
oil change... Just compare your Virgin oil samples versus Used oil
samples to establish the zinc sacrificial rate for your engine...

If we start with 1200 ppm zinc and used oil samples shows
1100 remaining then 100 ppm was sacrificed... if you start with 1200
ppm and used oil sample shows 100 ppm remaining them 1100 ppm was
sacrificed... Even at 100 ppm zinc is still ready to be sacrificed and
thus your engine is protected...

Quote Blackstone Labs
Zinc DOES NOT build up on parts like some sort of plating process.
Zinc simply DOES NOT work that way. Zinc that is present in the oil,
is activated by heat and pressure, which is precisely what the oil is
subjected to during extreme operating conditions... not during cold
starts...

The thinking more zinc the higher protection is like thinking the more
gas in our tank the higher the power output when actually the more
zinc the longer the protection

My thinking on this says the more zinc in the oil, when zinc does need to be “activated”, having more of it available in any given quantity of oil is going to provide more protection.

For instance, let’s say an amount of oil is on any given part of the valve train that is under stress to activate the zinc. If that amount of oil has a more dense zinc concentration it makes sense to me that will provide more protection than if it’s in a less dense concentration.

Lets say you slip and fall on your butt and you hit one rock on the ground. That is going to hurt more than if you slip and fall and you land on a whole bunch of the same size rocks. Going to spread the load.

I did not know ST had a 20W/50 motorcycle oil. I run Mobil 1 V-Twin in my Harleys currently. I am going to look in my local Walmart this weekend and see if they have it. I would feel comfortable trying it.

Hmmm, on Walmart's Web page they list Super Tech motorcycle oil in 10W-40 and 20W-50. And they're full synthetic, for $5/qt. Not bad compared to the Valvoline at ~$7/qt.
I wonder who blends this oil for Walmart (I believe Warren does Super Tech car oils).

Back when I picked up (4) qts of the 10w40 in store for $4.88/qt, it was still listed for $8/qt at Walmart.com . Thought it might be on sale. Who knew it would be the new regular price..

If that’s the new regular price, that will get some more people to use it. However if that’s just to clear it out because it’s never sold worth a hoot, then it may not be long for this world. Who knows.

Agreed for the most part, other than some bikes can benefit from a good dose of zinc and phosphorus and certainly boron and moly don’t hurt anything with respect to anti-wear. If those are in good amounts, it’s a great oil for me. I picked up some and will using it as the .3 partial quart that makes up an oil change (3.3 qts). I have an affinity towards M1 20w50 VTwin and M1 10w40 4T with my ZRX 1200 with shim over bucket and rocker arm valve train because those oils have solid numbers with respect to additives. They also stay in grade for a 5,000 mile OCI. Looking forward to a UOA once someone runs it.

many things are on walmart.com + not on the shelves + some ship free without limitations!! my local wallys is poor on restocking shelves + after several trips without my favorite coffee beans i ordered 4 bags on my porch in3 days!!

I finally got around to putting the Walmart synthetic 20w50 in the bike this weekend. Wow is that stuff thick. I was not expecting it to be much thicker than 15w40 but it ran out of the funnel like molasses. It was in the low 60's when I got home from a ride and decided to do the change while the oil was warm. I will say that the bike ran quieter and shifted smoother after the change and the old Rotella was not that old, only had 2k miles on it. I will have to wait and ride some more to be sure its not New Oil syndrome but the first ride was good. Bike is a Roadliner 1800 cc V-Twin Air/oil cooled.

I finally got around to putting the Walmart synthetic 20w50 in the bike this weekend. Wow is that stuff thick. I was not expecting it to be much thicker than 15w40 but it ran out of the funnel like molasses. It was in the low 60's when I got home from a ride and decided to do the change while the oil was warm. I will say that the bike ran quieter and shifted smoother after the change and the old Rotella was not that old, only had 2k miles on it. I will have to wait and ride some more to be sure its not New Oil syndrome but the first ride was good. Bike is a Roadliner 1800 cc V-Twin Air/oil cooled.
Its a bit on the heavy side for the winter months but you will certainly notice the difference in the summer heat between a 40 & 50.
In my past VStar 1300 water cooled Tourer I would run 15/40 winter oil here in SC and 20/50 in our late spring summer and fall, 3 months of 90+ f is not uncommon.
Roadliner 1800 I think you will like the 50 for sure and its what I would be doing, nice bike.

Good deal, look forward to a UOA hopefully down the line.

Code:
to move the ST 20w50 discussion along,
I contacted the Manufacture [ Warren Distribution Inc of Omaha Nebraska 800 825 1235 ]
talked with customer service gave them the part number off the bottle's barcode [ WM4T20P6 ]
they immediately emailed me the product data sheet.
Here is that detail,
where I could find I common element to Mobil1 V-twin PDS I put it alongside the ST 20w50 report.

ST Syn VTwin 20W50MC 6/1Q
Inspection Information Test Method WM4T20P6 Mobile1 V-twin
Gravity, °API ASTMD287 32.5 -
Specific Gravity @ 60°F (15.6°C) ASTM D4052 0.8628 -
Flash Point, °C ASTM D92 235 214 (D93)
Flash Point, °F ASTM D92 455 417 (D93)
Viscosity @ 40°C, cSt ASTM D445 164.1 172
Viscosity @ 100°C, cSt ASTM D445 21.03 20.8
Viscosity Index ASTM D2270 151 142
Cold Cranking Simulator at (°C), cP ASTM D5293 5150 (-15) 7500 
Color ASTM D1500 2.5 -
Zinc, wt. % ASTM D5185 0.12 (1200ppm) 1750ppm
Phosphorus, wt. % ASTM D5185 0.11 (1100ppm) 1600ppm
Calcium, wt. % ASTM D5185 0.173(1730ppm) -
Molybdenum, wt. % ASTM D5185 0.0044 -
Nitrogen, wt. % ASTM D4629 0.0079 -

based on the PDS just posted I have ordered enough for a OC.
My bike takes a tad under 6qts the web price is $5.96/qt so 6*6=a number more than 35 which = free shipping.
This stuff is going to reach my front door without me leaving the couch - talk about lazy.

Back