Super Tech 10K Mile Spin On Oil Filter (ST #9688)

First time user of the ST 10K Mile Oil Filter (#9688) for $2.97 ea. plus tax. I'm using with a Hyundai 2.4L GDI engine for a 4K mile OCI / Synthetic 5W30 oil ... *All I can say at this juncture was the oil filter spun on very smoothly and hand tightened +3/4 to 1 full extra turn for installation with no leaks noted . Lastly , absolutely ZERO start up noise using with the Hyundai 2.4L GDI engine - so far so good !

Have used that exact filter on my Acura in signature for 5000 mile OCI. No start up issues/noises and Adam has posted pics of this filter cut open already. Quality constructed but they have recently went up over 3 bucks a pop in my area. Although, Fram Orange Cans have too went up in price some -- sign of the times. You will have no issues.

These ST9688 are going to be my go to filters for my Hyundai/Kia vehicles ('04 Sonata, '10 Santa Fe, and '18 Soul) once my current stash of filters is done.

Seem well built and filtration ratings are just fine for my needs.

I have 2 that I cut open posted here (but both are short intervals due to the 6 month OCI warranty requirement)
HERE and HERE (with a video of me cutting it open)

They are both the "older" blue cans instead of white, but internals are the same.

First time user of the ST 10K Mile Oil Filter (#9688) for $2.97 ea. plus tax. I'm using with a Hyundai 2.4L GDI engine for a 4K mile OCI / Synthetic 5W30 oil ... *All I can say at this juncture was the oil filter spun on very smoothly and hand tightened +3/4 to 1 full extra turn for installation with no leaks noted . Lastly , absolutely ZERO start up noise using with the Hyundai 2.4L GDI engine - so far so good !
I have no problems with them either, I wouldn't use it 10k but I wouldn't go 10k on a Hyundai GDI engine anyways so it's perfectly fine for my 3k changes.

I had one ST screw on filter on the Toyota. It work but when I found out the Micron rating on the ST filters that was it for me I'm back to 99% plus filters at 20 Microns. You can run the cans you want YMMV I'm betting long term cleaner oil will make you engine run longer.

IMHO the nylon cage on Champ Labs products allowed great oil flow. Used on SuperTech, Wix, and AC filters
Champ makes for others (not all filter numbers). Some specialized Fram products as well.
The limiting factor is the inlet hole size or number.

My 2¢

IMHO the nylon cage on Champ Labs products allowed great oil flow.
PD displacement oil pump, so flow is the same unless the oil filter is so restrictive that the pump hit's pressure relief - can only happen if the filter is near 100% clogged. The nylon center tube might cut the delta-p down 0.5 PSI or less compared to a standard center tube with holes. The base plate, ADBV and center tube don't contribute much delta-p to an oil filter ... it's mostly the flow resistance of the media.

PD displacement oil pump, so flow is the same unless the oil filter is so restrictive that the pump hit's pressure relief - can only happen if the filter is near 100% clogged. The nylon center tube might cut the delta-p down 0.5 PSI or less compared to a standard center tube with holes. The base plate, ADBV and center tube don't contribute much delta-p to an oil filter ... it's mostly the flow resistance of the media.
Good explanation. Sounds to me as though there's likely little benefit/difference between a nylon or metal louvered support tube.

Good filter, used it when I did a short OCI after buying the car. Will continue to use after my stash of OEM is finished.

I had one ST screw on filter on the Toyota. It work but when I found out the Micron rating on the ST filters that was it for me I'm back to 99% plus filters at 20 Microns. You can run the cans you want YMMV I'm betting long term cleaner oil will make you engine run longer.
*Good point on the micron rating - I just wonder since the Hyundai 2.4L GDI engine trashes oil rather quickly if the ST oil filter is fine if you are only going 3,750 ~ 4,000 miles on a synthetic oil change ?

These ST9688 are going to be my go to filters for my Hyundai/Kia vehicles ('04 Sonata, '10 Santa Fe, and '18 Soul) once my current stash of filters is done.

Seem well built and filtration ratings are just fine for my needs.

I have 2 that I cut open posted here (but both are short intervals due to the 6 month OCI warranty requirement)
HERE and HERE (with a video of me cutting it open)

They are both the "older" blue cans instead of white, but internals are the same.
The ST construction with metal end caps may be the best for a $3.00 oil filter . I never get above 4,00 ~ 5,000 so I don't believe the ST oil filter will grenade itself on me anytime soon .

The ST construction with metal end caps may be the best for a $3.00 oil filter . I never get above 4,00 ~ 5,000 so I don't believe the ST oil filter will grenade itself on me anytime soon .
Honestly, for a Hyundai GDI, if you plan on keeping the car for the long haul, follow the severe OCI (3,750.) Your 4K will probably be okay. Your vehicle is a 2017, so not sure what your previous OCI's were. The rings on the pistons tend to carbon up and you get oil loss and failed catalytic converters eventually. Not sure even short intervals can fix that. I'm having a heck of a time with a 2014 KIA. OCI every 5K with full synthetic. No issues until 110K. Now going through oil like crazy and a failed Cat. Got Techron every OCI also for fuel injectors. New PCV also. Made no difference.

Honestly, for a Hyundai GDI, if you plan on keeping the car for the long haul, follow the severe OCI (3,750.) Your 4K will probably be okay. Your vehicle is a 2017, so not sure what your previous OCI's were. The rings on the pistons tend to carbon up and you get oil loss and failed catalytic converters eventually. Not sure even short intervals can fix that. I'm having a heck of a time with a 2014 KIA. OCI every 5K with full synthetic. No issues until 110K. Now going through oil like crazy and a failed Cat. Got Techron every OCI also for fuel injectors. New PCV also. Made no difference.
*Original owner of my '17 Sonata 2.4l GDI with 44K miles on the engine ... Longest OCI was 5,000 miles (once) with all other OCI's between 3,750 miles and 4,000 miles . I changed the PCV valve at 40K miles , use top tier gas , synthetic 5W30 oil , good oil filters , Techron bottle before every oil change , CRC intake valve cleaner every 10K miles before an oil change along with 5 oz. of Seafoam in the oil 100 miles before an oil change (done every other oil change) and lastly unless on the interstate I drive in sport mode to keep the engine from lugging too often below 2,000 RPM's . I figure I have gone above and beyond the call of duty to take care of this engine and if it blows up - it is because of a lousy design !

*Original owner of my '17 Sonata 2.4l GDI with 44K miles on the engine ... Longest OCI was 5,000 miles (once) with all other OCI's between 3,750 miles and 4,000 miles . I changed the PCV valve at 40K miles , use top tier gas , synthetic 5W30 oil , good oil filters , Techron bottle before every oil change , CRC intake valve cleaner every 10K miles before an oil change along with 5 oz. of Seafoam in the oil 100 miles before an oil change (done every other oil change) and lastly unless on the interstate I drive in sport mode to keep the engine from lugging too often below 2,000 RPM's . I figure I have gone above and beyond the call of duty to take care of this engine and if it blows up - it is because of a lousy design !
Excellent!

Back