Super Tec/Bosch same filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all

Changed my oil last night and took off the Bosch filter. Set it down next to the $1.97 wally world Super Tec (black) filter and they are exactly the same. Even down to the stamped "Y" inside between the holes.

Have a great day!
Phil

Just as an FYI, I had previously posted similar info. about Super Tech, Bosch & STP specs from conversations with Champion tech support here: http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=000069

When I talked with two different techs, they both were careful to say they produced oem filters for some of the Ford engines, not all; the remainder and the after market Motorcraft are supposedly produced by Purolator to Ford specs. Aside from that, it is good to note that Champion is at least being consistant with what they are telling us.

Y'know, neither of my tech guys mentioned the forthcoming *new* design. I'm sure a lot of folks around here will look forward to taking a look at them.

Cheers,
-Doug-

[ September 13, 2002, 02:02 PM: Message edited by: KCDoug ]

quote:

Originally posted by Kevin in Texas:
[QB
We also got into a discussion of their bypass valves and he said they would be soon changing the style of all of their bypass valve to what he called a patented Clicker-Style valve. He did not give many details on it.

.[/QB]

Now might be a good time to stock up on Bosch or Supertech filters. Who knows if this Clicker-style valve will be any good

Knowing Champion's reputation for top notch filters, I'm sure it is probably better. Why stock up when it's possible those ones wouldn't be as good?

The Walmart Super TECH filters do indeed say 99% multi-pass efficiency on the box. My guess is if someone calls Champion labs and asks what's different between their ~$12 filters(Mobil1), ~$6 filters(Bosche) or $2 filters at Walmart, the people calling are going to want a good explanation to justify those costs.

At the same time, when someone shopping at the store grabs a filter to look at off the shelf, that manufacturer wants the filter to go out with the customer and not back on the shelf.

So... like typical marketing Bullcrap, what's the truth with Champion filters
mad.gif
??? This sort of crap really gets to me and is one of the great things the internet with its info and great people on the message boards has really been a true asset.

I found the Supertech Filters to be pieces of crap for that price.

I've purchased K-Mart Penske filters on sale for $2/filter and the shell is MUCH more durable than the Supertech filters. I almost crushed my ST2 (For Ford 4.6L SOHC V8) using a normal filter wrench...

Also the Supertech pass-holes are TINY. I don't care what kind of synthetic material they use, such small pass holes don't exactly help flow, lubrication, and overall filtration.

Ford uses Motorcraft oil filters from the factory, and Motorcraft oil filters are essentially Purolator Pure One filters packaged in Purolator Premium shells (from that Oil Filter study guide). Motorcraft filters have been regarded as one of the best on the market, quite possibly surpassing Mobil 1 in terms of filtering power.

Did I forget to mention the reduced oil capacity of the Supertech filters?

On my Ford 302 V8 and my 4.6L SOHC V8, the Supertech filters would make the engine hold about 1/4 quart LESS oil than it would with something like an AC Delco or Penske (DANA/Wix).

I would fill my 4.6 with 5.75 quarts all the time (w/ a filter change) and have it reach FULL.

With the SuperTech, it would go over full by maybe 3 mm.

I'm ALL FOR low cost/high performance products - don't get me wrong about that - but there's a difference between cheap and low-cost.

IMHO Super Tech filters are cheap.

I'll be switching to Motorcraft or AC Delco very very soon (as soon as I finish my stock of Penske filters).

quote:

Originally posted by Roadster:
Hey all

Changed my oil last night and took off the Bosch filter. Set it down next to the $1.97 wally world Super Tec (black) filter and they are exactly the same. Even down to the stamped "Y" inside between the holes.

Have a great day!
Phil

I talked to Champion labs yesterday and they did say that the Super-tech were good filters and the only difference between the Bosch Premium and the Super-Techs was the filter media.

According to Chmapion Labs, the Mobil 1 filter is the best (10 Micron & 95 MPE) that they make and they use a high precentage Synthetic fiber and cellulose filter media. The Bosch was the second best (15 Micron and 93% MPE). It still had a high percentage of Synthetic fibers, but just not as much as Mobil 1.

I then asked about the Super-Techs and he said that they filter down to 20 microns and had a 93% MPE.

We also got into a discussion of their bypass valves and he said they would be soon changing the style of all of their bypass valve to what he called a patented Clicker-Style valve. He did not give many details on it.

One last thing was OEM filters. He said that they manufacturer all Ford, Chrylser, and some GM OEM filters and that the OEM's, not the AC Delco, Mopar, or Motorcraft aftermarkets and OEM designed filters only met the minimums in filtering.

Confusing part about the SuperTech specs is that they are given on the box as the following:

Older "light blue" boxes:

Single pass 98%
Multi pass 94%

The new "all black" boxes:

Single pass 98%
Multi pass 99%

I believe the filter colors are the same as the boxes.

Did the Champion rep allude to these efficiency specs being at 20 microns?

quote:

Originally posted by Kernel Potter:
The Walmart Super TECH filters do indeed say 99% multi-pass efficiency on the box. My guess is if someone calls Champion labs and asks what's different between their ~$12 filters(Mobil1), ~$6 filters(Bosche) or $2 filters at Walmart, the people calling are going to want a good explanation to justify those costs.

At the same time, when someone shopping at the store grabs a filter to look at off the shelf, that manufacturer wants the filter to go out with the customer and not back on the shelf.

So... like typical marketing Bullcrap, what's the truth with Champion filters
mad.gif
??? This sort of crap really gets to me and is one of the great things the internet with its info and great people on the message boards has really been a true asset.

There's a lot of consideration given to market segment preferences involved in product design and marketing. According to Champion the M1 is technically their very best made filter having a thick shell, more synthetic media (synthetic has better filtering & less flow resistance) that delivers a high efficiency filtering rating for smaller particles, down to 10 microns. It was designed for and marketed to those who want/seek the very best - whether it be for an objective need (special applications or longer and/or more strenuous use), or for those having slightly more subjective preferences whose maxim is to buy/use the top-of-the-line. On the other hand, Champion-made Super Tech & STP filters claim high efficiency too (and have a paper/synthetic blend media), but their boxes don't specify at what particulate size. In this case, according to their tech support reps, they are efficient at 20+ microns. Is that a bad filtering level? I've heard that many OEM filters use primarily paper media (little or no synthetic) and are rated at 20+ microns. (Champion rep said many standard OEM filters don't kick in until 22 microns. Marketing hype or fact?) So, the differences between the M1 and ST/STP (and other manufactured brands) are relative, as is price at $10.00+ vs. $2-3.00. Gotta ask yourself, how often do I change my oil and filter, how hard do I regularly drive my car, etc.?? Oh, BTW, the Champion-made Bosch is positioned between the M1 & ST/STP in cost and filtering specification. Most other Champion made branded filters are supposedly equivalent to the ST/STPs.

Do you or I need a filter capable of 10, 15, or 20+ micron level filtration, canister construction that withstands greater than the 200 psi burst standard, neoprene vs. silicone anti-drainback valves, name brand labeling, yadda-yadda-yadda?
dunno.gif

The purchase decision comes down to individual cost/value ratio perceptions, and *need* --with varying degrees of objectivity interspersed. Some folks express concern about some filter brands having too thin of a shell, even though certified to meet the 200 psi standard. How frequently have you heard of any brand filter bursting or falling apart in a daily driver application? (And in those rare instances, might there be causative factors vs. filter defect?) But hey, for some folks that point is important & therefore it is a legitimate purchase factor.
smile.gif

It's intriguing to have read on this informative board that the oil filter nuances that some of us obsess over are not a big deal in most instances; Theoretically differences between spin on filters might not make a real-world difference for a reasonably maintained engine's longevity.

And now my closing, yet applicable, cliche:
One person's junk is another's treasure.
cheers.gif

[ September 14, 2002, 01:44 AM: Message edited by: KCDoug ]

KCDoug, good answer.

In the absence of true comparative data, (or perhaps more accuratley in the case of oil filters - the proliferation of obfusticating marketing data!) one can go nuts trying to figure out which is the "best" filter.
banghead.gif
I've generally found that the best oil filter in the world is the one I buy.
rolleyes.gif
Except for Fram, of course.
nono.gif

Love those Graemlins!

Yeah KC, that's all fine and good. For me I basically see it as this; if I want long drain intervals or the least compromises in filtration, I'll go with a M1 or Pure One. Since Terry has mentioned that oil analysis' have generally shown little difference in wear between the premium and the better lower cost filters, I figure going with Purolator Premimium Plus', most Champion Labs filters, AC Delcos or Motorcrafts is a good bet. Especially since I'd rather change the filter sooner even if I don't do a full oil change. I know there's some other good filters. Those are the ones that are fairly easy to find around here.

But that's not the point. The point is in order to not get ripped off and/or plain get an inferior product, a person has to learn not to trust anything marketing advertises at face value. The way Champion labs throws efficiency ratings around and doesn't include micron ratings in some instances, pretty much tells me their numbers are mostly worthless.

Of course this is just oil filters and there's lots of variables to consider(as you mentioned) so it's probably not a big deal... unless you lose an engine due to one. But it still goes to show that marketing is a pain in the butt and does lots of disservice to consumers. I'll close this with one word; Syntec

quote:

Originally posted by Kernel Potter:
But that's not the point. The point is in order to not get ripped off and/or plain get an inferior product, a person has to learn not to trust anything marketing advertises at face value. The way Champion labs throws efficiency ratings around and doesn't include micron ratings in some instances, pretty much tells me their numbers are mostly worthless.

...But it still goes to show that marketing is a pain in the butt and does lots of disservice to consumers. I'll close this with one word; Syntec

Yep, it all boils down to caveat emptor.
Too bad a lot of folks wouldn't take the time to do apples to apples comarisons and I'd bet many would read nor interpret 98% @ 20 microns vs. 96% @ 10. So the common perceptual default is cost=quality. As a sales & marketing guy, I have to spend a lot of time educating prospective clients on how to make more objective decisions that are relative to their real needs. I find, and not just in my industry, that a too many people spend (give away) too much money needlessly based on perceptions/myths that a big name/company that charges lots more provides a better product. Folks who visit and participate in boards like this know that ain't so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back