A tale of two ST2 Super Techs

A slow day today and I'm just waiting out the snow that's going to hit us, so.....
I have several applications that take the Motorcraft FL820 variants. In the past, I've used some closeout Casite (Hastings) filters that RockAuto sold really cheap, but that supply has now dried up. I picked up a couple of Super Tech ST2 filters to tide me over. As you know, Wally World makes nothing and their house brands are usually contracted by a price point, so here goes. The filter on the left is from their old contract (I believe...), is an E-Core and was purchased a couple of weeks ago. The large gaps that the early E-Cores has in the plastic center tube has been improved. The larger filter on the right is their latest supplier and I picked up at a different store a couple of days ago. The inner tube has holes instead of louvers. Both filters carry the same SKU numbers and both filters say they are good for 10K miles. The box on the left has a 2017 date on it, the box on the left is undated. Both say they are made in USA. I'm not afraid to use either one, although my next FL820 applications will probably be a different filter. Will post a dissected FL820 Casite variant later.

Attachments

• st1.JPG
    st1.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 167
  • st2.JPG
    st2.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 167
  • st3.JPG
    st3.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 169
E-Core doesn't say a lot to me. The thing I look for is efficiency % at 20 microns. If it isn't 99+ % at 20 Microns its not going on my car. YMMV!

In the pics, white ST2 is a Fram construction filter. The older blue is a Champ made ecore. I can't see down the centertube of latter to see if it has dome bypass, likely does. If not, uses combo valve.

A slow day today and I'm just waiting out the snow that's going to hit us, so.....
I have several applications that take the Motorcraft FL820 variants. In the past, I've used some closeout Casite (Hastings) filters that RockAuto sold really cheap, but that supply has now dried up. I picked up a couple of Super Tech ST2 filters to tide me over. As you know, Wally World makes nothing and their house brands are usually contracted by a price point, so here goes. The filter on the left is from their old contract (I believe...), is an E-Core and was purchased a couple of weeks ago. The large gaps that the early E-Cores has in the plastic center tube has been improved. The larger filter on the right is their latest supplier and I picked up at a different store a couple of days ago. The inner tube has holes instead of louvers. Both filters carry the same SKU numbers and both filters say they are good for 10K miles. The box on the left has a 2017 date on it, the box on the left is undated. Both say they are made in USA. I'm not afraid to use either one, although my next FL820 applications will probably be a different filter. Will post a dissected FL820 Casite variant later.
Wait, didn’t I just post one of the “new white can” ST filters while ago?

I guess your Wal Mart Carrie’s old blue can as well as white can

E-Core doesn't say a lot to me. The thing I look for is efficiency % at 20 microns. If it isn't 99+ % at 20 Microns its not going on my car. YMMV!
That rating test is often done on the huge FL1A size... read the fine print.

That shouldn't make any difference.

Most filters have MORE than enough media to handle typical oil pump volume output.
Think he was saying the efficiency test rating can be effected by the size of the oil filter. If the same flow rate is put through a larger filter, the delta-p will be lower across the media and that can result in better overall ISO 4548-12 efficiency, depending on how well the media can retain captured debris as a function of loading and delta-p.

SuperTech filters painted blue are made by Champ Labs. The white filters are old
Wix made filters.
Not now. When the newer MP series OF with silicone adbv came out, they too have a blue can. My speculation is that WM wanted an easy way to differentiate the ST series from new MP, so they turned back to white can like the previous ST made by Wix.

When looking awhile ago at WM, after 53 posted ST2 (iirc), noticed it and the mentioned above ST16 used Fram type construction as opposed to majority Champ made ecore type. Reason perhaps, noticed they are relatively larger size application ST series OFs.

Back