Super S Synthetic ATF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone use this stuff? I know a lot of people don't like these "universal" ATFs.

Says it's good for Mercon SP/LV, which is what I need for the 5R110 in my F-350. Last time I changed it I used Maxlife, wwhich seems to be working well.

Local Kmart is closing, and they have this for $4 a quart.

http://www.smittysinc.net/supersyn-unive...smission-fluid/

PDS:

http://www.smittysinc.net/images/products/files/197_SuperSyn_Universal_Synthetic_ATF.pdf

inv-197-493.jpg

It may be okay as a general Dex/Merc replacement but no way does it meet the viscosity requirements for a LV ATF at 100C or the Brookfield viscosity specification.

Ford had some problems recommending Mercon LV for the Torque shift. Bad idea using anything other than Mercon SP in my opinion. That transmission is pretty picky from what I see, and it is an expensive piece of gear. I just did the 60K service on the 5r110 in my F250. I bought 9qts Mercon SP from Carquest, a WIX pan and remote filter. I think I was into it for less than $100. Still have almost a quart of SP for top off if needed. Saving a few bucks on trans oil for a very expensive transmission that is LIKELY to grenade on anything other than Mercon SP is definitely false economy!

Originally Posted By: 95busa
Ford had some problems recommending Mercon LV for the Torque shift. Bad idea using anything other than Mercon SP in my opinion. That transmission is pretty picky from what I see, and it is an expensive piece of gear. I just did the 60K service on the 5r110 in my F250. I bought 9qts Mercon SP from Carquest, a WIX pan and remote filter. I think I was into it for less than $100. Still have almost a quart of SP for top off if needed. Saving a few bucks on trans oil for a very expensive transmission that is LIKELY to grenade on anything other than Mercon SP is definitely false economy!

Mercon SP it is. Last time I changed it, Mercon SP wasn't available anywhere since it had been replaced by Mercon LV. Even the local Ford dealer told me it wasn't available anymore. However, I see that O'Reilly's has Mercon SP now. My work has a commercial account at OReilly's, so I can get a decent discount on it.

Yeah, they stopped making SP for a little while and recommended LV. Then a bunch of transmissions went south very quickly, and they started making SP again.

False economy to put cheap ATF in an expensive transmission. Buy a good, solid brand, not necessarily a boutique brand, but maybe not the cheapest in town, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back