Sunroof track lubricant

Was wondering what would be a good lube to use on a sunroof. Would white lithium grease work ?

This is my first vehicle with a sunroof. The owners manual says to lube hinges with white lithium grease but makes no mention of the sunroof.

Yes for the metal track any type is fine. Just be careful when cleaning and applying as they metal can be sharp since I've cut myself before.

I use BMW RHF 1 sun roof lubricant. It comes in a little 20 gram packet. I used it to lube the sun roofs on both my E350 and my wife's Outback, and still had plenty left over. Google it.

Mercedes uses a special sunroof lubricating grease. Very expensive. Not sure what it is…

I wonder if garage door lube might be a readily available and low cost option?

Garage door lube is designed to not attract or retain dust/ dirt. Many items can me mis lubed and be ok. A sunroof my be very unforgiving if a inappropriate lube is used.

PXL_20230526_183655220.jpg

Out of curiosity , I called a Nissan dealer with my vin number and they said white lithium grease is recommended. Seems a little thick for a sunroof.

Mercedes uses a special sunroof lubricating grease. Very expensive. Not sure what it is…
I don't think the Mercedes sunroof grease is any more expensive than many of the other specialty lubes. But the container size is not intended for the home DIY guy. The Mercedes lube comes in a tub with enough grease to do dozens upon dozens of jobs. That is why I chose to go with the BMW sunroof lube.

I wonder if garage door lube might be a readily available and low cost option?

Garage door lube is designed to not attract or retain dust/ dirt. Many items can me mis lubed and be ok. A sunroof my be very unforgiving if a inappropriate lube is used.

View attachment 157899
Isn’t that just a silicone spray that has a higher content of silicone oil (and maybe a heavier oil) relative to the carrier?

I don't think the Mercedes sunroof grease is any more expensive than many of the other specialty lubes. But the container size is not intended for the home DIY guy. The Mercedes lube comes in a tub with enough grease to do dozens upon dozens of jobs. That is why I chose to go with the BMW sunroof lube.
Agree. It’s. The quantity that’s the driver I think.

Back