Sunlight test vs restriction gauge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CR94
Originally Posted By: compratio10_5
... The 2003 Fram technical information sheet, Now a Fluid Filter Rating That Makes Sense, contains this nugget "The (multipass) test does account for what happens to a filter over time because measurements are taken at multiple intervals during the filter's effective test life. The drop in a filter's efficiency during multi-pass testing is analogous to what will happen to a filter under field conditions"
IF your "field conditions" involve using the filter so long it is almost totally plugged.

I have yet to study the SAE papers but you make a good point. Sometimes the testing is done in such a way that is does not always translate to the real world all that well. Might have answered some obscure question the industry had over something. Anyway, I am happy for any corrections of fact and my understanding of them.Now... I am off to plant 20 more acres of soybeans before the rains come!

I appreciate a good discussion on oil filters in the air filter forum since the goal of both is to reduce engine wear. The two SAE papers do not report efficiency directly since the filtration ratio (or efficiency) is variable, but they do report radioactive tracer engine wear with respect to mileage on various filters. These were large studies using hundreds of used oil filters with newly installed engine oil and I believe that they were accurate at the time (1960's) that the studies were performed. I wish I knew of more recent information utilizing synthetic and partial synthetic filter media. Another study that has been referenced is "Improved Modeling of Filter Efficiency in Life-Time Simulations on Fiberous Filter Media" by Mann-Hummel employees in Germany presented at Filtech Proceedings in 2013. https://www.geodict.com/Publications/2013FiltechBeckerHahnLehmannWiegmann.pdf
Another interesting thing about oil filters is that their dynamic performance is apparently not accurately represented by the current steady state multi-pass lab efficiency test ISO 4548-12. Refer to information on the internet from major filter manufacturers "Hy-Pro", Donaldson and Pall regarding dynamic or cyclic efficiency of hydraulic filters at variable flow rates, variable viscosity and vibration. I believe that these factors also apply to lube oil filters but there is very little information. Finally, Machinery Lubrication Magazine, published by Noria, has archived filtration articles. These dynamic efficiency articles confirm what CR94 pointed out above, that by changing oil filters before they reach about 75% of their final pressure drop, much of the unloading of previously captured particles can be avoided. The decreasing efficiency characteristic of oil filters with extended use has caused me to replace the oil filter on my vehicles every time I change the oil. Dry media air filter efficiency is completely opposite. It gets better with use, so I used the differential pressure gauge and leave the filter installed for extended duration.

I agree that a discussion of oil filtration, as it relates to air filtration, is not off-topic.

That Filtech article is very interesting, though I need time to digest it better. I'm getting the condiments ready so I can eat my previous words, however
:) < ).

In the few moments I have here, one thing jumps out from the above post by compartio about changing the filter when it reaches 75% of final pressure drop... how do you know when that point is reached? I had a differential pressure setup on one of my trucks for several years (that truck and the apparatus is now gone). I did not do all the testing I wanted to do, but in one case, an ordinary Motorcraft filter, it was not showing a significant pressure drop at some very extended intervals. I'm not sure I even have any of the paperwork (much of it given to the new owner) but is was well over 10K IIRC, maybe near to 15K. Going 75% of maximum might be a 20K interval for all we know. Certainly for a high capacity synthetic filter.

One thing we tend not to bear in mind is that a modern engine does not generate a great deal of contamination. This is most assuredly so if you have an efficient air filter. We tend to think in terms of the old school "metal monster" engines with timing chains, flat tappets, bushed rocker arms, etc, that naturally generated a lot of wear metal. A modern engine generates a fraction of the normal wear contamination as those old powerplants, so the capacity of the filter is not significantly challenged and pressure drop remains low for a long time. Keeping that in mind, and subject to further review of the cited material, I am not convinced to start chicken-littling this and resort to inter-extended-OCI oil filter changes. Like anything, consideration is due. Short of having a differential pressure setup, you'd want to evaluate the following... and feel free anyone to add to this..

-Do you have an efficient air filtration system?
-Do you have a high capacity, efficient oil filter?
-Do you know whether or not your engine has natural proclivities towards being a metal monster?
-Are you using a quality oil of the correct viscosity? (that discussion opens a can o worms, so you can decide on your own)

Bearing these things in mind, I don't think the majority of the synthetic filters would have any trouble with 15-20K and not reach 75% of differential pressure (assuming that is the correct "no-go" number). A lesser filter requires a lower FCI for safety, unless you can test differential pressure, but even an average filter has a lot of safety factor in it given an engine with low contamination rates.

Maybe I need to build another gauge setup. Couldn't afford the data logger this time, but an adapter with two ports isn't too hard. No time for such a project at present but I'll add it to my round-to-it list (to page 9,659 ( : < )

Preliminarily

No need for condiments, Jim. We all come here to learn. You have done more than your share for BITOG with your real life reports on oil filter differential pressure under various operating conditions. I have used that data to calculate the start-up temperature at which the bypass valve may begin to open with different viscosity engine oils. Thanks for your continuing contributions. As you and Dave Newton have pointed out, unrealistically high levels of artificial contamination is one of the factors That make many lab filter and wear tests suspect. If you have any contacts with filter manufacturers, I would love to know how synthetic filter media compares to cellulose and blended media in real world dynamic (with stop-start, changing flow rates, vibration and long change interval) performance. Someone must know, but I see nothing written about it. I may have mis-spoke about oil filters shedding captured particles. In real life use this does happen but seems to increase significantly at about 75% of filter life. Filter differential pressure increases very slowly through about 3/4 of the filter life and then DP increases at an ever increasing rate until reaching the final rated DP. Yes, without any DP reading or performance indication, we just have to trust the manufacturer's recommended change intervals.

I would posit that curve shape / behavior of an oil filter is a shift from filtration being media conttolled to being filter cake controlled in the last 25% of its life, especially if the data is not from depth loading synthetic media, and especially if the data wasn't generated using density depth loaded media (more than one depth loading media layer with differing efficiencies).

What conditions are you driving? OE replacement filters are not all that expensive. I get a year or more out of my air filter.

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
...I am not convinced to start chicken-littling this and resort to inter-extended-OCI oil filter changes. Like anything, consideration is due.

I certainly agree. Extremism either way is rarely positive, productive, or warranted.

Quote:

Unfortunately, I have no idea. No filter manufacturers have been willing to provide efficiency data to me for any of my automotive applications. Do you know of a way to obtain this other than several thousand dollars to SWRI? This is something I think is likely more important to overall engine wear than most of the things I see people 'worrying' about.

One of the things that concerns me is backhand information a former Cummins lab person claims: That typical dry media air filters pass increasing amounts of particles as they age and load up. That doesn't appear to fit the claims or the very little bit of data I've seen on this board relative to air filters (I'm saying I've seen very little, not necessarily that there exists here very little) very well. Still, that person was in a position such that they _should_ have known what they were talking about.

Still and all, I find that people are people, which means that there are above- and below-average-competence people in every field, and no profession I've found is immune to that fact. So, I'm left unsure what to think since I don't have any data at all on my own filters, and the abstract data I have is not all in agreement.

sunlight test can only test based on qualitative even it is inaccurate rather than using restriction gauge that makes it count based on quantitative but i guess the most efficient is using sunlight test because we can check it whenever eventhough gauge can be installed recently.

what if we use paper air filter frequently? it makes sunlight test becomes unsatisfied measure, it will be better using gauge.

Originally Posted By: bulwnkl

Quote:

Unfortunately, I have no idea. No filter manufacturers have been willing to provide efficiency data to me for any of my automotive applications. Do you know of a way to obtain this other than several thousand dollars to SWRI? This is something I think is likely more important to overall engine wear than most of the things I see people 'worrying' about.

I agree wholeheartedly! As I said, the intake system is the only place where outside contamination can find it's way into your engine. Eliminate that and a back door for dirt and you are a long way towards ensuring a long engine life, and longer oil life as well, especially if you live in a dusty area.

One of the things that concerns me is backhand information a former Cummins lab person claims: That typical dry media air filters pass increasing amounts of particles as they age and load up. That doesn't appear to fit the claims or the very little bit of data I've seen on this board relative to air filters (I'm saying I've seen very little, not necessarily that there exists here very little) very well. Still, that person was in a position such that they _should_ have known what they were talking about.

Still and all, I find that people are people, which means that there are above- and below-average-competence people in every field, and no profession I've found is immune to that fact. So, I'm left unsure what to think since I don't have any data at all on my own filters, and the abstract data I have is not all in agreement.

A few years ago I had access to engineers and test labs involving major filtration companies and was able to gather info for a story on air filters. Everything substantive and trustworthy I have read, seen or heard, now or since, DIRECTLY contradicts what your guy, formerly and allegedly from Cummins, said. I discount it. If he can produce "dirt" (i.e. test data) to support his claim, that would be great and I'd be willing to change my mind, but an unsupported comment from a former so-and-so doesn't get any weight with me and won't keep me awake at night. Hopefully that allays your fears just a little.

Yeah, it's hard to get direct data specific to a particular filter but there are enough hints here and there, I think, to suggest that if you buy a premium product that claims high efficiency, it has a large number of pleats (for long life and airflow) and you install a restriction gauge, you are "good enough" to go. Back when I did the story, here's one version of the story that's still online: Air Filters

What we need is another "Spicer Test"(Google it). Another guy with deep enough pockets to have SWRI test a boatload of filter brand (unfortunately only one part number, for an early 2000's Duramax in that case). While that test is dated now, it indicates that the better brands have the highest efficiency, thoug not necessarily the most flow.

And honestly, IMO, people are overly obsessed with "flow." And they tend to overrate the performance differences a few extra CFM offers. The way I drive, as long as the engine can attain rated power, I'll trade any fractional increase in power for clean air and do so happily.MIght even trade a littel of that rated power, since I so seldon need it. Plus, 95% of the time (my estimate in see a lot of dyno testing and testing of products) a simple filter element change has micro-minimal effect, often within the calibration and operator errors of a dyno test. It's usually the intake tract that impedes flow the most, and if you want power, that's where you need to look first. From there, you just need to increase the filter AREA of an efficient media to get the airflow (if space allows). Ultimately, you often have to choose flow or efficiency. For myself, I choose efficiency. Maybe it's my ever-decreasing testosterone levels :) < )

I used to email (and even call) the Cummins person when they were at Cummins, so I know what section they worked in. (-:

I think it would be great to add a very large Donaldson air filtration system to my vehicle(s), or whatever the current equivalent of those systems we used to add to the old farm trucks is. That just won't fit, though, so I'm stuck looking at offerings for factory intakes. ...which is the problem.

NOBODY claims any specific efficiency for any air filters available for any of my vehicles (nor for any personal vehicles I've ever looked for). Having seen medium duty trucks collapse air filters when their restriction gauges said there was still low restriction, and also observing no restriction change in my own application(s) despite tens of thousands of miles of use (including off-road and through dust storms), I find the suggestion to use restriction-based change intervals dubious at best.

So, not talking about the generalities: How do you get specific data that is meaningful enough to act upon in a specific way on an individual personal vehicle, without sending thousands of dollars to SWRI?

I used to email (and even call) the Cummins person when they were at Cummins, so I know what section they worked in. (-:

Well, if he gave out information like that, which differs greatly from the rest of the industry, maybe that's a good reason why he's not there any longer!

I think it would be great to add a very large Donaldson air filtration system to my vehicle(s), or whatever the current equivalent of those systems we used to add to the old farm trucks is. That just won't fit, though, so I'm stuck looking at offerings for factory intakes. ...which is the problem.

IME, those Power Cores may be the best HD air filters you can buy. Efficient, free flowing and long lasting. I started to mount a one off a Power Stroke Ford onto my Power SMOKE Ford, but lost motivation. The truck is only driven 2,000 miles a year, if that. Too many other things to do and it was going to be a lot of work. Plus, the Banks Turbo air filter housing is just so cool to look at... even if it contains a so-so-efficiency K&N.

NOBODY claims any specific efficiency for any air filters available for any of my vehicles (nor for any personal vehicles I've ever looked for). Having seen medium duty trucks collapse air filters when their restriction gauges said there was still low restriction, and also observing no restriction change in my own application(s) despite tens of thousands of miles of use (including off-road and through dust storms), I find the suggestion to use restriction-based change intervals dubious at best.

As to specs, well, yeah, they aren't making it easy. But again, if you search you can find, such as this 30 second google search which yielded in a Q&A:

“Efficiency – the measure of how well the air filter captures harmful contaminants before they can enter the engine – is the key to quality air filter engineering,” said Gary Bilski, FRAM chief engineer. “Simply put, higher air filter efficiency can help lead to longer engine life. FRAM Extra Guard air filters can achieve at least 99 percent efficiency.” [Based on Honeywell testing of models CA4309, 8755A, 8039, 326 and 6479 under ISO 5011]"

ISO 5011 is a specific test, so we know it's likely 99% on coarse test dust and that's pretty darn good. There are some things about the ISO test I don't like, but I don't want to go that far into the weeds. It's an indicator. Plus,if you make a specific request with a specific part number, people have been known to get a specific answer on efficiency.

You can be as dubious as you want about restriction gauges but it doesn't change the fact that they work. I suggest you do more research. If you want more accurate instrumentation, get a manometer. The standard restriction gauges are not finely calibrated... some with only green yellow or red... and might have 5" graduations between the marks. Or more. A manometer reads on a more fine scale, so you can see microscopic changes. As to collapsed filters with a restriction gauge present, the obvious answers are many. Instrumentation fails. Routine maintenance is required, e.g. periodically resetting the gauge and then doing a WOT to reset it... that tells you the instrumentation is operational. Finally there is the human element. That maintenance is ignored. The filter collapses, the hapless operator or maintenance guy realizes he hasn't looked at the gauge in like 100K miles, so he blames the instrumentation (or whatever) rather than his own lack of attentiveness.

So, not talking about the generalities: How do you get specific data that is meaningful enough to act upon in a specific way on an individual personal vehicle, without sending thousands of dollars to SWRI?

Call the manufacturer's tech lines with those part numbers and ask for specifics. I've done that in the past and 75% of the time, I got a straight answer. I can't promise that will happen today, but you won't know until you try.

XXX filters _can_ achieve blah blah blah. Just show the number. Otherwise you're a salesman masquerading as a technical person. There's no actionable (I hate that non-word) data here, just broad generalities based on trust in hearsay and assumption. That's what you don't want to accept from me, and I don't blame you. After all, I don't accept it from you. (-:

Still wondering what the mechanism is that exaplains why oil filters behave exactly the opposite way air filters are supposed to behave.

Granted, that's how it should be. But it isn't. The reasons for that? All we can do is speculate and I have plenty of ideas on where to point fingers..... but if I do that, we get into the some of the verboten topics on the board. It is what it is. Live with it. Work around it.

If you really have a burning desire to know, you will be running down the battery on your phone or heating up your internet connection. Those are your only options right now as far as I can see.

As to the oil filter question, even the boffins doing the studies don't fully understand it. And so state in the papers. They offered up some possibilities, as you no doubt read. If you didn't, you'll want to. I don't think this question is anywhere close to settled.

Air filter calibration. 1. Bright light observed when viewing bright Sun through filter media = GOOD AIR FLOW.
2. dim LIGHT observed when viewing bright Sun through media = OK AIR FLOW.
3. little or no light observed when viewing bright sun through media = time to change filter as air flow may be compromised.
That's all we need to know. Ed :))

So, you have calibrated your restriction gauge against the sunlight test? Please share the details?

I haven't done that in a scientific manner but I can say that the two applicable flat panel filters in my fleet are both pretty dim at this point, yet restriction isn't far off the bottom pegs yet, so there is apparent disparity in the idea, as least as it applies to my situation. I can see how it could be made to work but the only way is to calibrate the sunlight test again actual restriction readings. A lot would depend on the filter used, the environment it was used in, etc, which would take this out of the "universal constant" category and certainly won't elevate it out of the "balderdash" category either. If, for example, you drive in those place where there is a lot of red dust, your filter would get opaque much faster than if the dust was more neutral in color. Many variables!

Test your airbox and filter, too, to see whether it retains its shape (stays sealed) and avoids collapsing until your gauge shows as much restriction as some advocate. They’re won’t all hold up.

... the only way is to calibrate the sunlight test again actual restriction readings. A lot would depend on the filter used, the environment it was used in, etc, which would take this out of the "universal constant" category ... If, for example, you drive in those place where there is a lot of red dust, your filter would get opaque much faster than if the dust was more neutral in color. Many variables!
Exactly! A filter with many deep pleats close together will not pass light as well as well as a more sparsely spaced one, yet may restrict air flow less with the same dirt loading. (I have an example of the former here with my made-in-Japan Toyota air filter.)

I can say that the two applicable flat panel filters in my fleet are both pretty dim at this point, yet restriction isn't far off the bottom pegs yet

In that case use a magnifying glass to make the sunlight brighter, then put out the filter fire.
mad.gif

Easy peasy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back