Sunday i put them away..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I put the motorcycles away for the year.. Yeah i know its still a little early, But Turkey season starts Wednesday and Deer season follows shortly there after.. follow that with all of our local fall festivals and then the Holidays.. yeah, i decided it was time.. I put a shot of Staybill in both bikes, and topped them up with gas. Put them both on Battery Tenders and up on there stands (off the floor)..

Im not Bothering with dumping the oil in either bike this year, im just watching miliage and when ive got a full OCI on either bike i will change as needed.. No im not worried about Acid..

and just like last year i wont be starting the bikes anytime over the winter, come March i will fire them up (assuming its over 50 outside) and go burn off any condensation on the oil.. no harm no foul..

Off topic for this forum, but pertaining to this thread i also winterized all my small engines, mowers, weedeaters, powerwashers, chainsaw's etc.. feels pretty good getting all this stuff done now..

Just sharing my Sunday afternoon..

Last edited:
Great feeling to get it done so you can enjoy all the coming activities. I hate having stuff like that hanging over my head. Enjoy!

I think changing the oil.prematurley just for winter storage is a waste. As long as it's not dirty oil. My Harley gets a wash & wax before winter storage. I put her on her stand wheels off the ground & hook up.the tender full tank with stabilizer under its harley cover. Sleep for winter.

Im riding to Daytona tomorrow, we get to ride year round here.Bike almost never sets for 2 weeks without getting ridden

Even normally dirty oil isn't corrosive. We get our undies in a bunch over "acid" when things aren't even close.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Even normally dirty oil isn't corrosive. We get our undies in a bunch over "acid" when things aren't even close.
I have a BMW airhead which sat for 10 years with Mobile One in it. Runs fine today, burns no oil.

You put your bikes away? As in, not ride them any more?

Why?
21.gif

Originally Posted By: bigdreama

Why?
21.gif

Riding when it's 40F or less outside just isn't as much fun. I mean, it's fun for the first 1 minute or two.

I never officially put mine away. We can be 10 below zero one day and a couple days later be 70 degrees out. I'm not going to miss those nice days scattered throughout winter and drive the dumb truck any more than necessary. I never minded riding even down to zero degrees really if there's clear roads. Kind of enjoy it actually for short rides.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: bigdreama

Why?
21.gif

Riding when it's 40F or less outside just isn't as much fun. I mean, it's fun for the first 1 minute or two.

This^^^^^ Im a fair weather rider.. although i got blind-sided with todays weather (high of 70) so the ninja came back out.. its suppose to turn back off cool again Wednesday.. I couldnt resist bringing the little bike to work today.. thats the nice thing about my bikes, unplug the tender and get them off there stands.. ready to ride in no time.

Originally Posted By: fxrider
Because it SNOWS up here.
snowday001.jpg

clean Quad.. Love my polaris Ranger.. hate it going to the shop as often as it has to though.. Polaris doesnt exactly have the reputation around here as the rock solid platform.

I only change my oil once a year, so it's never premature...and I always do it right before I put it away for the winter...

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
I never put my motorcycle "away"... even in Illinois.

Wow, you've either got some dam good cold weather gear or the cold doesn't bother you...it gets below 50 and I'm done!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: grampi
Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
I never put my motorcycle "away"... even in Illinois.

Wow, you've either got some dam good cold weather gear or the cold doesn't bother you...it gets below 50 and I'm done!

Ive got alot of gear (although i admit none of its cold weather specific) But ive got a few leathers and a few textiles outside of my track gear, even with my heavy liner inside my heavy icon jacket.. anything under 50 just isnt fun.. cold weather just finds ways to sneak in and all it takes a little bit to get uncomfortable quickly..

I can remember riding below freezing my first few years of motorcycling..as long as the roads were clear i was game.. im just not that dedicated anymore..

Last edited:
I'll ride up here until they put salt on the roads. It's 42° out now, will probably head out soon to find an oil filter for the Duc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back