Summer Time Work Gloves

JHZR2

Staff member
Not necessarily for automotive work. Im doing a lot of outdoor work on other things, like suring up the framing on a garage I own offsite.

When doing automotive work in the summer, wearing rubber gloves, in the heat, my hands become like a fountain. I dont sweat excessively or have sweaty palms, but rubber doesnt breathe obviously. Its nature of the beast.

Recently for my other jobs, I bought some white ox rigging gloves. Theyre canvas, and comfortable to wear. But boy do my hands sweat in them, and the canvas gloves absorb it. Theyre hard to turn inside out to dry as well. They will be great in cooler weather, but Id like something else for now.

So, any recommendations?

Key attributes ideally are:

- Made in USA
- Breathable
- Cool for summer work
- Dries easily when sweaty
- Reasonably resistant to splinters
- Dense enough to keep hands relatively clean and dust-free
- Enough finger feel to blindly grab a nail or screw and hold in place

Oddly enough, vented summer motorcycle gloves would probably do the trick although they won't be made in the USA and don't have a great dexterity rating. I have Cortech GX Air-4 gloves I use for riding in the summer and they do keep the sweat away even after hours of wear.

Some weight lifters gloves should work nicely. They’re highly breathable and durable. Even some cycling gloves or cross training ones. Good gloves make a difference.

If I need work gloves (non-automotive) I usually just wear full leather. Recently I found some mechanix-style gloves with heave leather palms but textile backs. Very comfy! They were at Costco.

The best all-around work gloves I have found are roo skin roper gloves made by Geier USA. I recommend the dark brown ones as they wont show stains all that much. Even thin roo skin wears like iron and is abrasion and cut-resistant. Roos skin resists sweat and water. The fingers are thin so you can feel what you are working on but there is additional palm patch padding which is great when you are shoveling a six foot hole. Good for around the garage, the garden, the ranch, working on machinery, including vehicles. Buy half a size smaller than normally. They cost a little more than most work gloves but [link removed] sells them usually for $10 below list price.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back