Suing Hyundai Over Elantra MPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Marketing hype will never change, and neither will the fools who read and believe it. Chances are if it's advertising of any sort there's at least some truth stretching going on. I'm not saying that I agree with it-in fact I have a great deal of contempt for marketing, sales and lying. But it's been around forever and most likely will always be around.

It just highlights how gullible some people can be.

Hyundai was known to fudge some numbers in decades past. IIRC they had to settle a class-action lawsuit that changed the 1999-2000 Elantra's horsepower rating from 140 hp to 138 hp. We got a check for $4 or something ridiculous as "compensation" that our 1999 Elantra only made 138 hp instead of 140. That car beat its EPA ratings silly, though!

It wouldn't be the first time that Hyundai's marketing took liberties with car ratings, if that's indeed what happened. "Oh, it's 39.5 mpg highway, let's round up to 40 mpg highway and call it a day".

Also, knowing the typical Hyundai driver who cares more for the infotainment system and the price tag than how the car drives, I'm not shocked one bit that this is happening.

Originally Posted By: sciphi

Also, knowing the typical Hyundai driver who cares more for the infotainment system and the price tag than how the car drives, I'm not shocked one bit that this is happening.

Guess you don't know the real typical Hyundai driver...

Originally Posted By: Tim H.

Of the folks I know with late-model Hyundais, they're all more concerned about the stereo than how the car works.

Im waiting on the next Hyundais car show next to the corvettes, wonder which one will be the most crowded lol. oboy.

Last edited:
It's clear from from pics posted in this thread by virginia tech fan that Hyundai will be paying out for misleading advertising.

Of the folks I know with late-model Hyundais, they're all more concerned about the stereo than how the car works.

That could be said of any Brand's buyers.... Just check out all the used cars that need things fixed or routine maintenance not done because the owners didn't care for anything but the stereo and where the gas goes into.

That could be said of any Brand's buyers.... Just check out all the used cars that need things fixed or routine maintenance not done because the owners didn't care for anything but the stereo and where the gas goes into.

VERY true!

Don't go look at a Ford (esp a Focus). The whole car is sync this or screen that. Hyundai does not push or have any thing like it.

I know just went through buying a vehicle last week and my Niece ended up with the Ford and the radio did not hurt it!

Bill

I bought my 2012 Elantra mainly for the 40mpg on the highway. I almost always got 40 on the highway and using a few hypermiler techniques, I could get the reading to 50mpg.

All of that changed when I had to change out my OEM tires. I was sitting still at a red light when one of my Continental Eco-whatevers blew out its sidewall. I had the stealership put 4 new tires on since I had read of the same thing happening to other Elantra owners.

Now, I'm doing good to get 32 mpg on the highway. I could feel the difference between the tires' rolling resistance as soon as I put the car in gear and let off of the brake. It was like I was towing a trailer.

The thieves at the stealership didn't bother to let me know that I need special tires for this car to make its EPA rating.

I'm pretty [censored] at the tricky Hyundai people too. In order to get EPA rating, you have to run tires whose sidewalls are so thin they blow out at 10k miles.

They deserve to be sued.

This is EXACTLY what my neighbor did! He has a new Elantra, very nice little car. But all he was interested in showing me was the toys. I never did get the hood up.

Originally Posted By: JAYCEE
I bought my 2012 Elantra mainly for the 40mpg on the highway. I almost always got 40 on the highway and using a few hypermiler techniques, I could get the reading to 50mpg.

All of that changed when I had to change out my OEM tires. I was sitting still at a red light when one of my Continental Eco-whatevers blew out its sidewall. I had the stealership put 4 new tires on since I had read of the same thing happening to other Elantra owners.

Now, I'm doing good to get 32 mpg on the highway. I could feel the difference between the tires' rolling resistance as soon as I put the car in gear and let off of the brake. It was like I was towing a trailer.

The thieves at the stealership didn't bother to let me know that I need special tires for this car to make its EPA rating.

I'm pretty [censored] at the tricky Hyundai people too. In order to get EPA rating, you have to run tires whose sidewalls are so thin they blow out at 10k miles.

They deserve to be sued.

What brand and model are the new tires? 8 mpg is kind of hard to swallow.

I was at a Hyundai dealer recently looking at the Sonata for the MIL when she finally gets ready to replace her ailing '98 Altima. Nice car, except they kept talking about all the infotainment and interior features.

From 40 to 32 mpg, that's a 20% drop in fuel economy. I know LRR tires can help mpg a little, but 20%?

From 32 to 40 mpg, that'd be a 25% improvement. If a tire like that existed, every auto maker would be all over it. There's got to be more to this story...

I could see 20% if the OEM tires were exceptionally LRR and the new tires were exceptionally not LRR. Critic posted that new super-LRR tires on his Prius were responsible for a 4-5% increase over already LRR tires. Going from a super-LRR tire to a super-non-LRR tire could well result in a 10-15% drop in MPG.

I'll be going through the same dilemma when replacing the LRR tires on my Cruze. Balancing the various attributes of the tire will result in a trade-off somewhere. Where that trade-off will be made is still an open question.

My Focus rarely gets below the HIGHWAY rating even in the City.

Now, with that said, I fully expect that I would be able to push 50mpg out of one of the elantras ... stock with Ultra LRR tires.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
My Focus rarely gets below the HIGHWAY rating even in the City.

Now, with that said, I fully expect that I would be able to push 50mpg out of one of the elantras ... stock with Ultra LRR tires.

You must be dreaming, 50mpg in an elantra. Maybe if the engine was turned off and you were pushed down a mountain in neutral.

If that Elantra had a manual transmission, maybe. If it has an auto, forget about it.

Looking at Fuelly, the current-generation Elantras are averaging about 29-30 mpg. I don't think there are more than a handful over 35 mpg. Compared to other MY 2012 cars in the segment, that's subpar. The 2012 Civics are averaging about 35 mpg, the Focuses are averaging about 31 mpg, and the Cruzes are at 33 mpg. Even the Mazda3 is averaging 32 mpg.

So, the 2012 Elantra does get worse fuel mileage than its competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back