Suggestions for mattress

Hi All,

I I'm looking for a comfortable mattress suggestions but not looking to break the bank. I as a last minute decided to look at my local Sleep Number place, and WHOA!!!. If I.were Bill Gates maybe I'd drop $5250 American on a mattress but not as a.regular class working person. Their $899 mattress wasnt even as comfortable as my $150 memory foam bamboo Walmart special. I'm looking for BITOG suggestions. Thanks

I'd look at Saatva. After a failed memory foam attempt with serta, I went back to innerspring. Been happy with it for the past 5 years.

If I remember correctly Satavaa is similar in price to the sleep number beds. Don't get me wrong the bed that I tried was AMAZING!!! Unfortunately $5200 is not in my availability in income. As I previously said. If I made an extra $200K a year I would have easily dropped their asking price. Does anyone else have a more reasonable Alternative? Thanks

Which bed or Mattress from Costco? I am a member.
Most of the ones I have purchased were the in-store mattress sets and the frame.
I also bought a "Sealy Response 11" Performance Carver Mattress, Full, Plush" for my niece, which was over $800. This is a high end set.

I believe they are having a sale, or soon will. The in-store sets are cheaper.
You won't be sorry. The pillows and sheets are top quality at a really good price. Good luck.

I bought a queen Serta Perfect Sleeper (Charlotte) for $450ish out the door this summer. It's a Eurotop so it has decent support while being pretty plush and soft. I'm very happy with it for what I paid for it - it's in my first post-college apartment, and I don't have any back or sleep issues, so I was okay with something on the basic and affordable side. (I think I used a $50 coupon I found online and timed the Memorial Day sale. It had a sticker price of $1000-1100, which obviously places it in a different class than the $450 I paid for it. It's on "sale" for $550 now.) The 10-year warranty helps, but honestly there aren't many sub $400 options anyway. The most important thing for me was to get to lay on it before buying it, which basically ruled out the online options.

As an aside, I was floored by how expensive most of the stock at MattressFirm was - I believe the most expensive one I saw was over $7000, and many were in the $3-5000 range. I picked a chain since I bought it in Minnesota before my move, and wanted to be able to pick it up in Wisconsin after moving in to the new apartment. The process was actually pretty easy; I was happy with the salesman and the experience.

Here's what I bought...
https://www.mattressfirm.com/perfec...sh-mattress/5637146618.p?variantid=5637158404

I would consider any two sided mattress that met my comfort level. No single sided mattress for me.

Over the years I’ve tried everything and this was the perfect solution for my wife and I.
I need a firm mattress even though I don’t consider myself having back issues a mattress just not right gives me an issue.
On the other hand my wife likes cushy soft,
We are average to maybe slightly less than average weight for our height.

Other mattresses would eventually dip in the center, I bet we also were one of the first a long time ago to get a memory foam mattress, great for a few years until the dip in the center started, no matter what they say memory foam also makes for hot bed too.

Anyway we didn’t like the Sleep Number hidden costs in both the warranty AND trial period and found this at Sam’s Club many years ago. Most likely I’ll never buy a different brand or style and will have a new one. This time a king size when we move into our new home.

It can never dip being it’s air adjustable with a zone for each side to adjust.
Here is the catch. We bought the base model which just means no thicker foam on top because this allowed us to buy and put on our own foam topper and change it out if need be.

I’m now only seeing a base soft top model but when we do move I’ll still go for it unless I can find the one without the foam though I have to admit until the time comes to purchase, if I can’t find one without foam I’m not sure what I’ll do but suspect I will still try it. I Just rather use my own topper though it might not kill the deal if no choice.
I can’t imagine not being able to air adjust my mattress.

Ours has been trouble free though it now is an older model, at the time it seemed soooo much better components than Sleep Number. I don’t know if that is still true but suspect it will still be better.

The plus is no hidden costs, BUT I see you can NO longer return to a Sam’s Club store and be stuck with shipping charges, have to look into that.
The remotes are included, less expensive Sleep Number you have to pay for the remotes or use an app on your phone.

The reason for needing a new one will be going from queen to a king in the new house.

Last edited:
The best mattress we bought was the cheapest serta firm from sams clubs. I would go that route again. The mattress stores were hundreds of dollars more.

Depending on your location, I would highly recommend checking out the top two innerspring (non-hybrid) mattresses from The Original Mattress Factory. I have the Orthopedic Eurotop mattress set and it is amazingly comfortable at a reasonable price.

https://www.originalmattress.com/
All of the bedding that we have is from The Original Mattress Factory. They hold up well, are comfortable and affordable. They sell two sided mattresses, so you can not only spin them around but also flip them over. That makes the mattress last longer (like rotating your tires).

A good mattress isn’t going to be cheap.
I have two Jamison sets in my house.
I highly recommend the Jamison TLC collection.

https://themattressunderground.com
Look there and in their forums. There's lots of info about local mattress manufacturers and how the quality is usually better and a lower price than the big names. And plenty of personal reviews of various brands and models.

As for what kind to get, I'll say be careful with memory foam mattresses. They sound good in theory, and can be, but even the firm ones can be hard to get off of since they are like sleeping on bread dough and don't have springs always helping to push you up. Simply rolling from your back to your side on one or exiting one can be really annoying.

Also, lean towards getting an overly firm one since you put a topper on to make it softer but it's hard to make a soft mattress firm. And firmer ones should last longer.

Comfort is subjective. I prefer a plush mattress and sleep on my stomach. I use two fitted sheets on it instead of a topper. It doesn’t mess with the feel and protects it good enough.

I love our Purple mattress. I absolutely hate sleeping on thick memory foam, but Purple's top layer construction is different. I tend to sleep hot, and our mattress has been an improvement in that regard as well.

The only downsides so far have been that it is a floppy nightmare to move once unpacked, and - not to be crude - but it is quite "dead", so one must adapt to the lack of bounce-back experienced with a standard mattress.

Back