Suggestions for good torque wrench

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody have a recommendation for a high quality torque wrench for a reasonable cost? I have a cheapo Craftsman click-type ( like this) that I've been using for ~15 years. I trust it for lug nuts and suspension work, but have no idea how accurate it is anymore. I'm planning to remove the oil pan from my Saab and check/possibly replace the main/rod bearings. I'll need to have a wrench that can do 15 ft-lbs. I tend to buy Snap-on brand sockets, but don't want to spend $300+ on a Snap-on torque wrench that will rarely see any use. Can I trust a $40 made-in-China Craftsman torque wrench, or is there something better out there for less than $100?

You can send yours out to be checked/adjusted.

Also do the at home test. Lock it down and put the same weight on the end you have it set for. Then adjust till it clicks. If it clicks within a couple pounds then should be fine. If not send it out.

Some site tested a handful of torque wrench's and found the 1/2" from HR was actually pretty good. The biggest problem was you need to reset the wrench to 0/low every time or it will wear the internal spring out.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jimzz

Also do the at home test. Lock it down and put the same weight on the end you have it set for. Then adjust till it clicks. If it clicks within a couple pounds then should be fine. If not send it out.

Some site tested a handful of torque wrench's and found the 1/2" from HR was actually pretty good. The biggest problem was you need to reset the wrench to 0/low every time or it will wear the internal spring out.

What is HR?

I was told to always do this with all torque wrenches!

Precision Instrument has always made a quality torque wrench. I believe they built them for Snap On at one point. Tooltopia has a PI 1/2" split beam listed for $130. Looks amazingly similar to my Snap-On for about $120 less.

YOU CAN NOT USE 1/2 TORQUE WRENCH FOR OIL PAN EVEN IF IT WAS MADE BY SNAP-ON AND COSTS $1000

Yes, I am screaming but it really needs to be said. Use the correct range torque wrench for the required application. And run some simple tests to verify that your torque wrench is within the ballpark.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
YOU CAN NOT USE 1/2 TORQUE WRENCH FOR OIL PAN EVEN IF IT WAS MADE BY SNAP-ON AND COSTS $1000

Yeah, that's why I'm asking for advice on a good torque wrench. Like I said in my OP, my current one is inadequate for doing the bolts on my Saab main bearing caps.

Yes, I am screaming but it really needs to be said. Use the correct range torque wrench for the required application. And run some simple tests to verify that your torque wrench is within the ballpark.

The example I mentioned was intended for brand only. If it is the same as my Snap-On it would not go below 40 ft-lb and even if it did would not be within the most accurate part of it's range.

Always hard to generalize, screaming or not.

One of my SnapOn wrenches is 30-200 ft-lb and it does the required 30 ft-lbs on my oil pan drain plug just fine.

Its model # QJR-3200B before we get into he-says she-says.

Verified against a 10-75 ft-lb 3/8" torque wrench.

The Harbor Freight ones are nice. There should be a coupon for them on the web somewhere makimg them cost less than $15 each.

Where can you send a torque wrench for calibration? How much does it cost?

Craftsman sounds fine. I've got a brand new $~350 Matco that's nice but overkill. I only use it for lug nuts, only reason I have it is they warranty replaced an old one that was my dads for this new one and it's mine now

Originally Posted By: Joel_MD

What is HR?

Supposed to be HF, Harbor Freight.

Originally Posted By: Chris B.
Harbor Freight beat out all the top brands including Snap-On in this test:

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/additional-how-to/ccrp-1304-torque-wrench-testing/

Thanks, that was the review I was looking for and talking about before.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SwedishRider

Where can you send a torque wrench for calibration? How much does it cost?

I have never sent one out but knew some tire shops in my day that would send theirs out. Search Bing/Google for "calibrate torque wrench" and should get some hits. Try to find a local place if you are in a big city.

I just use the weight test to test mine and replace if needed.

Originally Posted By: ofelas
Always hard to generalize, screaming or not.

One of my SnapOn wrenches is 30-200 ft-lb and it does the required 30 ft-lbs on my oil pan drain plug just fine.

The OP and Vikas are both talking about the oil pan bolts not the drain plug. Your 30-200 ft.lb. Snap-On will not work for them.

^^Advice to live by^^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back