Suggestions for good torque wrench

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh I see.
On a similar note, I seem to remember an old Cosworth motor I had back in the day had a 35-40 ft lb torque rating on the oil pan bolts though it was oddly connected to a transaxle.

Or buy the torque block from HFT; it is frighteningly accurate. You can use it to calibrate your torque wrench or use it as it is if you can handle the non-clicking method.

Unfortunately, the torque block can not go to low of 15 but you can use it calibrate your wrench at 30/50/60 etc. Looking at youtube videos, many allows somewhat simpler calibration.

I second the kobalt, better warranty than any tool truck wrench.
Comes with a sheet where it was calibrated.

At such low values I wonder if a beam wrench is better. I don't know if they have to be calibrated, and they can have a wandering zero; but then again, I'm not sure if oil pan bolts need to be better than 10% in the first place. I'd think "calibrating" it against the HF calibrator at 15-20 ft-lb to verify ballpark would be good enough to prove that a cheapie beam was usable (I don't think a beam can be nonlinear in operation?).

Originally Posted By: supton
At such low values I wonder if a beam wrench is better. I don't know if they have to be calibrated, and they can have a wandering zero; but then again, I'm not sure if oil pan bolts need to be better than 10% in the first place. I'd think "calibrating" it against the HF calibrator at 15-20 ft-lb to verify ballpark would be good enough to prove that a cheapie beam was usable (I don't think a beam can be nonlinear in operation?).

I would use a beam type torque wrench for EVERYTHING except lug nuts.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Catalo...4730_0009851067
Is recommended.

There is a nice in/lb torque wrench NAPA sells. Beams are MUCH easier to keep calibrated. I would think if you want to torque something at 15 ft/lbs, then you need a in/lb torque wrench. If I recall, the most accurate readings will be mid scale, it's like pressure gauges, a 100 psi gauge is most accurate at 50 psi. usually.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vikas
YOU CAN NOT USE 1/2 TORQUE WRENCH FOR OIL PAN EVEN IF IT WAS MADE BY SNAP-ON AND COSTS $1000

Yes, I am screaming but it really needs to be said. Use the correct range torque wrench for the required application. And run some simple tests to verify that your torque wrench is within the ballpark.

Stupid question: Why?

Are the bolt torque specs less than 30 lbs?

I have a cheap Chinese no name for lug nuts and it works great in that application. For real engine work I have a Snap on that gets calibrated once in awhile.

Typically if your really doing work you need at least two torque wrench's, a 3/8 drive and a 1/2. For oil pan bolts your going to need a smaller 3/8, they don't require much torque.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cardenio327
The OP and Vikas are both talking about the oil pan bolts not the drain plug. Your 30-200 ft.lb. Snap-On will not work for them.

No, I'm not talking about torquing the oil pan bolts. I said I am going to remove the oil pan. If you read and comprehend my original post you will understand I am mostly concerned about properly torquing the bolts for the main and rod bearings.

Originally Posted By: ofelas
Ah, moot point then, should be anywhere between 40 & 100 ft-lbs of torque in stages.

No, like I said in my original post I need a torque wrench capable of 15 ft-lbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back