Suggestions for carb'd 1986 F250 - 351W

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me start by saying - whoa, this site is insane. I didn't think I ever wanted to know so much about oil/ additives but can't stop searching.

Subject references my '86 F250 with 351W and 4bbl Holley 600CFM. The truck has just under 100k and she is very good shape for being a New England truck her whole life. She is a weekend worker for me - hauling wood, dump runs, HD runs, plowing my drive and some neighbors, etc. My guess is it gets 1500mi/yr.

She sees the highway, but pretty rarely; and the longest she ran with me was 1hour each way, when I hauled my plow back home.

What oil would you recommend? I'm afraid of using a synthetic based on the engine's age but am open to suggestions. Her first change by me was Valvoline 10W-30 although next winter I'll have to find a 5W-30. I did have my wife pick up some Rotella T at Wally World - but semi-synthetic has me nervous.

I would go with a 5w40 HDEO dino or synthetic. Im guessing that motor would have flat tappet lifters and a HDEO will have higher zinc to protect the lifters. Im sure others will chime in on here too.

Rotella is a good choice. With that kind of mileage, synth is going to be a bit of a waste... Unless you don't mind spending it. Then I'd say something like M1 0w40 or M1 TDT 5w40/Delvac 1 5w40.

Originally Posted By: CDX825
Rotella T synthetic blend 10w30 would be a good choice.

Sounds like thats what you may have already picked up?

Well I sent the wife with my oil list - so needless to say she didn't quite get it right... but yes I have 5qts and need another 2.

I'll give the Rotella a whirl.

Thanks for all the feedback.

i would use a 15-40 in that during summer months i did on my 351 ford van but when i put mobil 1 synthetic in that it leaked bad and it was a 90 van with low milage did not like synthetic at all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back