Interesting Experience with Toyota Roadside Assistance Tonight

Do you think we would have had a better experience with AAA?

hey john.. Nothing is perfect but the people AAA sent to tow cars I've had weren't the worse out there. But it depends on where you are. When I was in the metro detroit area, the tow truck drivers were just this side of disgruntled. Not all, just the area AAA of Michigan would dispatch for where I was. Now that I'm out of that area, the drivers AAA dispatches have been awesome. I'm not surprised since the metro detroit people are always ticked off about something.. lol.. The area I'm in now (mid-michigan) the times I've needed a tow was really good.

you could always look up reviews for your area of AAA member tow truck service. And see how it would be for your area. I'm glad you posted this experience up.. It really shows (in pictures) how bad it is out there, and have you thought about calling out Toyota on social media? The PR team wouldn't like that.. Since it would be out in the open for so many more people to see.

hey john.. Nothing is perfect but the people AAA sent to tow cars I've had weren't the worse out there. But it depends on where you are. When I was in the metro detroit area, the tow truck drivers were just this side of disgruntled. Not all, just the area AAA of Michigan would dispatch for where I was. Now that I'm out of that area, the drivers AAA dispatches have been awesome.

What do you drive and how often do you have to get a tow from AAA? Sounds like multiple incidents..

What do you drive and how often do you have to get a tow from AAA? Sounds like multiple incidents..

yes I've been working on a 96 Civic as a project car over the past couple years. Needed it towed to the shop with work I couldn't do myself. That's how I can offer my opinion on AAA's towing service.

You people are crazy. Roadside assistance isn't about doing the job "correct". It is about getting you back on the road!

Because it is Toyota Roadside Assistance not Jim Bob's Towing and Bait Shop? One would hope Toyota would qualify their contractors but obviously not. Glad you got her on the road, a call to Toyota is in order.
Actually...I suspect the guy in overalls driving a ratty old wrecker for Jim-Bob's Towing would probably have had the tire changed in 10 minutes.

I’ve always been leery about Geico. They seem like a step above cut-rate insurers but seems to want to find a little excuse to raise rates or drop you(all insurers do that - insurance is basically underwriting risk but also making sure their shareholders also don’t get scalped in the process).

That’s why I always recommend AAA for roadside assistance - they’re not perfect or the cheapest but they have standards, or like we in IT like to say, service-level agreements.
I used Geico roadside assistance (for my motorcycle), it went fine. Only issue was the woman on the phone was unfamiliar with the area (rural Arkansas) and having a hard time finding someone who could tow a motorcycle. Since it was going to Little Rock, I suggested she try there...if it took a little longer for the guy to arrive, then it did. She checked in LR, and the first company she tried sent a rollback set up for motorcycles. Cost me $30 (mileage past the free tow limit), plus I tipped the driver $20.

Toyota can do better than a guy with pants around his knees and no skill and junk equipment. A reasonable level of competence is a long way from “concierge “🙄
This. I have BEEN a AAA contractor, so has my wife...for that call, we would have showed up in a either a regular wrecker or a rollback (if the boss took the call, he might have taken his Excursion) with appropriate tools. (Every truck has at least a 2.5 ton jack.)

I used Geico roadside assistance (for my motorcycle), it went fine. Only issue was the woman on the phone was unfamiliar with the area (rural Arkansas) and having a hard time finding someone who could tow a motorcycle. Since it was going to Little Rock, I suggested she try there...if it took a little longer for the guy to arrive, then it did. She checked in LR, and the first company she tried sent a rollback set up for motorcycles. Cost me $30 (mileage past the free tow limit), plus I tipped the driver $20.
Where in AR? I used to ride my sportbike all over the backroads of the Ozarks.

Grandson got a job with a towing / emergency service . Guess it has a contract with AAA He's in service that changes tires and jumps and carries 20 batteries in a dodge caravan. Very little training could make the same money as fast food. Friends kid 20 years old worked at a NTB national tire and battery. Day 1 learned how to run a tire machine was changing tires on aluminum wheels. Scary both for the employees and customers.

Had a great experience with roadside assistance in southwest VA. Popped a tire pulling into our air bnb, dude rolled up in a Kia hamster car and had it swapped fast. Knowledgeable and competent. But I can see how it would vary case by case with these highly independent "service" providers.

Back